Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog inspired by Books and Stories

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog inspired by Books and Stories
    Posted: July 01 2020 at 06:03
Listening to Hawkwind - Quark, Strangeness and Charm right now on vinyl. The track Damnation Alley is, I believe, inspired by the book Damnation Alley by Roger Zelazny. It got me thinking what other Prog music is inspired by books, stories, even TV and Movies. The obvious one is Camel's - Music Inspired by The Snow Goose, based on The Snow Goose by Paul Gallico.

Both those books mentioned above have both been made into movies too. The Snow Goose in 1971 with Richard Harris and Jenny Agutter. Damnation Alley in 1977 with Jan-Michael Vincent and George Peppard.

Oddly I've read both the books and seen both movies before. I'm sure there must be others.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 06:06
The first example that always comes to mind is Tales from Topographic Oceans:

"With the idea in mind Anderson found himself "caught up in a lengthy footnote" in Autobiography of a Yogi(1946) by Indian yogi and guru Paramahansa Yogananda which described four bodies ofHindu texts, named shastras,[2] that Yogananda described as "comprehensive treatises [that cover] every aspect of religious and social life, and the fields of law, medicine, architecture, art..." that "convey profound truths under a veil of detailed symbolism".[3]"

Always found it amazing that they made one of the longest prog recordings ever based entirely around a footnote, lmao.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 06:09
^ Good one. I just thought of another after I posted. Xanadu by Rush, based on the poem Kubla Khan
by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. I'm sure the 1980 movie had nothing to do with the poem though, haha.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 06:24
"The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" is a poem that was the theme of a hostsonaten album, even though they only did the first part.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 06:27
Strawb's "The Vision Of The Lady Of The Lake" was inspired by a story of some English guy named Arthur.

Edited by SteveG - July 01 2020 at 09:31
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 06:32
Look no further than Genesis' "The Cinema Show", inspired by the third part of T.S. Eliot's The Waste Land. Also Yes' "The Gates of Delirium" was inspired by Tolstoy's War and Peace.

Edited by Raff - July 01 2020 at 06:33
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 07:01
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

"The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" is a poem that was the theme of a hostsonaten album, even though they only did the first part.

And Iron Maiden. Smile
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 07:41
Shadow Circus' Project Blue was based on Stephen King's The Stand and their On A Dark and Stormy Night is based on The Wrinkle in Time series.  The song Willoughby was based on a Twilight Zone episode.

I suppose technically Rush has a song called Tom Sawyer that is based on some Mark Twain character or something. Wink

Robert Berry has a Soundtrack for The Wheel of Time based on the series from Robert Jordan.

There are many songs that refer to The Lord of the Rings.

Edited by rushfan4 - July 01 2020 at 07:44
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 08:24
Hawkwind take a lot of inspiration from SF and fantasy books. "High Rise" is based on the novel of the same name by J. G. Ballard, "Steppenwolf" is based on the novel of the same name by Nobel laureate Hermann Hesse, "Robot" is based on the robot stories by Isaac Asimov, "The Chronicle of the Blacksword" is based on the series of books about the albino King Elric of Melniboné by Michael Moorcock, "Fahrenheit 451" is based on the famous SF novel by Ray Bradbury, "Infinity" is based on the story of Merlin and Viviane, and that's just naming a few.

The spoken words at the end of "Choose your Masque" ("I have come, but I do not choose now to do what I came to do") are the words Frodo speaks in "Lord of the Rings" at the moment when he is supposed to throw the ring into the crater of Mount Doom.

Speaking of "Lord of the Rings" the famous album by Bo Hansson has to be mentioned of course. He also made an album based on the novel "Watership Down" by Richard Adams.

Tangerine Dream made an album based on the novel "Der Engel vom westlichen Fenster" by Gustav Meyrink (who is most famous for his novel "Der Golem"). They translate the title as "The Angel from the West Window"; the title of the English translation of the book by Mike Mitchell is "The Angel of the West Window". They also made the album "The Castle" based on Franz Kafka's novel "Das Schloss" ("The Castle" is the English title of the novel).

"Gormenghast" by Fruupp is based on the fantasy trilogy of the same name by Mervyn Peake.

I actually read all these books, by the way, but not because of the songs.

Edited by BaldFriede - July 01 2020 at 09:11

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 09:08
I'm pretty sure "Close to the Edge" by Yes was apparently inspired by Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. 

I was going to mention "Cinema Show" and that it was inspired by the Wasteland by T.S. Elliot but someone beat me to it (although I have never seen any mention before that it was only based on the third part of it). ;)

The Gentle Giant songs "pantagruel's nativity" and "the advent of panurge" are inspired by Gargantua and Pantagruel by the French writer Francois Rabelais.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 01 2020 at 09:11
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 09:14
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

The Gentle Giant songs "pantagruel's nativity" and "the advent of panurge" are inspired by Gargantua and Pantagruel by the French writer Francois Rabelais.

I should have thought of them myself. Also "Knots" was inspired by the writings of Scottish psychiatrist Ronald D. Laing.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 09:31
Edgar Froese's "Tropic of Capricorn" from his album "Ages" was inspired by Henry Miller's novel of the same name. A book I have not read; I am not too fond of the writings of Henry Miller. Lots of erotic, but of the wrong kind for me.

Edited by BaldFriede - July 01 2020 at 09:34

Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 10:09
The Swedish band Ritual has based a lot of its music around Tove Jansson's Moomin books.
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 10:12
King Crimson did Jack Kerouac on the Beat album.
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 10:15
How about some early Alan Parsons Project?  Or recent Neil Morse albums?!
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 10:20
Anthony Phillips and Pink Floyd have both done George Orwell (on the albums 1984 and Animals, respectively)...

...Progressive Rock has always been literate.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 10:21
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

How about some early Alan Parsons Project?  Or recent Neil Morse albums?!
Too obvious.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 10:25
And what about the album Primus and the Chocolate Factory?

(...their followup album The Desaturating Seven is a musical retelling of the Ul de Rico book The Rainbow Goblins)
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 10:27
...One final example from me, then I'll shut up: Klaus Schulze doing Frank Herbert's Dune.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 10:42
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

The Swedish band Ritual has based a lot of its music around Tove Jansson's Moomin books.

I really like the band Ritual(whatever happened to them anyway?)so I'll have to look into those. I've actually never heard of that writer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>