Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog lyrics with reference World War 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog lyrics with reference World War 2
    Posted: July 02 2020 at 14:14
Looking for Prog tracks  that reference World War 2. 

I can think of ELP 'Memoirs of an Officer and A Gentleman ' from 'Love Beach' and Camel's 'Music inspired by the Snowgoose' . 

Manfred Mann's Earthband  title track from the  'Nightingales and Bombers' album is quite prog sounding, 

Any other suggestions?

Thanks 

Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 14:23
Manhattan Project by Rush
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 14:27
Aces High by Iron Maiden
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 14:28
The Fall of Reason by Watchtower is about war in general.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 14:31
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

Aces High by Iron Maiden

Also "Brighter Than a Thousand Suns", which is about the development of the first atomic bomb (same topic as Rush's "Manhattan Project").
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 14:32
In the Name of Love by U2 references it, I believe, but is not considered Prog. Still a great song that gives me chills.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 14:35
Air Raid by Triumph is an instrumental that sounds like a WWII air raid.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 14:35
Knight Area released the album D-Day in 2019, which is a concept album about  (drum roll please....)  D-Day.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 14:35
Pink Floyd's song "When the Tigers Broke Free" is about Roger Waters' father's death in the Battle of Anzio. Also The Final Cut was largely inspired by WWII.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 14:40
"Goodbye Blue Sky" by Pink Floyd.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 14:42
I wouldn't call this a Prog song, but Robert Wyatt is in PA:

And here are the lyrics: https://genius.com/Robert-wyatt-stalin-wasnt-stallin-lyrics

Edited by Logan - July 02 2020 at 14:46
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 14:47
Stalingrad by Hail of Bullets but I’m not sure if they are considered Prog metal or some other subgenre. I’m afraid I’m rather hopeless at classification sometimes.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 15:00
Two songs that more generally have to do with war are Where the Rose is Sown by Big Country and Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits. Not considered Prog but nevertheless worthy of a listen. Good luck with your project. That’s all I got! Just tell ‘em you have sand in your eyes on that last one.

Edited by Jaketejas - July 02 2020 at 15:08
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 15:26
Camel's "nude" is apparently about a Japanese soldier living on an island who didn't know the war(WW2) was over.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 15:29

That's not about WW2 specifically but rather about the development of the atomic bomb and the initial test in the desert. There aren't any lyrics in the song that talk about it's use on Japan(although we all know what happened).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 02 2020 at 15:33
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 17:02
Big Big Train's 2004 release, Gathering Speed, is an amazing album, on a par with Roger Waters' The Final Cut. It's a tribute to the Battle of Britain.

Sean Filkins is such a great lead vocalist!

Edited by BrufordFreak - July 02 2020 at 17:03
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 18:36
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

That's not about WW2 specifically but rather about the development of the atomic bomb and the initial test in the desert. There aren't any lyrics in the song that talk about it's use on Japan(although we all know what happened).

I think you might want to go back and reread the lyrics. They specifically cite the Enola Gay riding out of the shockwave on an August day, which coincides with the bombing of Hiroshima. A very sad day in history, and a painful reminder of the sheer and utter destructiveness of nuclear weapons.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 18:55
Time for me to hit the trail. Stay safe out there! ...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 19:22

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I think you might want to go back and reread the lyrics. They specifically cite the Enola Gay riding out of the shockwave on an August day, which coincides with the bombing of Hiroshima. A very sad day in history, and a painful reminder of the sheer and utter destructiveness of nuclear weapons.

Alright. Although I still believe a big part of the song is about the manhattan project and the development of the atomic bomb I will admit I stand corrected as far as the lyrics you pointed out(which obviously have to do with the dropping of the bomb(or bombs)). I admit I don't always pay super close attention to the lyrics and I haven't heard that song in a long time. I won't get into the politics of the US's use of the atomic bomb here except to say that fortunately it hasn't been used since. I think if there was a third time you and I wouldn't be typing here right now.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 02 2020 at 19:34
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 21:46
Yes, I think it is also about the lead up. When I hear it, I think of themes like ... the Pandora’s box scenario ... and ... if we do not learn from history, we are tragically doomed to repeat it. It is certainly not a song about glorifying the hell that is war, and the themes are approached from a universal perspective. I think Alex Lifeson applies a very effective arpeggiated riff for this song. It is such a difficult and painful subject, but I believe that Rush approached the song in an appropriate way ... in an almost didactic manner. I’ll be out of touch for a while. Take care in these troubled times.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>