Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can You Date a Song Just By Listening?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can You Date a Song Just By Listening?
    Posted: July 05 2020 at 15:29
If so, can you describe how you are able to do with, and if you can, what are the characteristics? Sometimes I can't describe it using the proper nomenclature, and have to resort to giving examples of a certain song, sometimes comparing a re-make.

The production alone can help me identify the decade, if not closer. Even a song with just an acoustic and vocal is pretty easy for me. Hell, just listening to a vocal helps me identify around the year it was made. The drums is usually an easy giveaway, especially once the 80s came around. I notice they keep getting louder, and the vocals seem to get more quiet on average. The snare drum definitely got louder in the 80s, adding reverb. I notice less piano, and more (usually cheesy sounding) keyboards. Lots of "jangly" strat guitar sounds. I've recorded my own music digitally, but I never want that sanitized sound. I'm guessing most of it is direct recording, instead of using microphones (close and distant). I think the styles of the instruments give it away, too, but especially the vocals.

I remember listening to a Marvin Gaye song that had 1984 as the date, but after listening to just a few seconds of it, I knew it had to be a mistake, and I found out it was a posthumous release.

Also, maybe we could have a game where someone posts a song that is trying to sound timeless, and having others guess?
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2020 at 15:42
It’s usually the production values and instrumentation, though in many cases, it can be tricky.
Lyrical content can also pin music down to an era.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 07:16
Sorta. I can usually roughly tell when a song was recorded by the drum sound.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 07:18
Yep, especially if it features a mellotron. LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 07:23
In some cases yes. Certain sounds such as a boomy electronic drum sound or an orchestral stab sample date a song immediately.
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 07:31
Anyone want to guess the date of this song?

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 07:32
You can date a woman just by listening (to her)) 🤣

Edited by Tom Ozric - July 06 2020 at 07:32
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 08:40
In most cases, yes.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 09:41
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

You can date a woman just by listening (to her)) 🤣
This was also the first thought that came to my mind.  LOL
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 09:58
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

In most cases, yes.
Try to guess the date on this song. It's an instrumental so there are no lyrics to give clues.
https://youtu.be/u1ws_BiCtsY

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 10:17
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

It’s usually the production values and instrumentation, though in many cases, it can be tricky.
Lyrical content can also pin music down to an era.
Agree!! I can tell by the production meaning the mix and mastering. Today's production is highly clinical, very sterile sounding as compared to recordings of yesteryear LOL. Today the tone, rhythm are perfect, only perfected because of computers, analog instruments do not perform that way.

Lyrics as stated play a big part too. 
 Post Reply Post Reply