Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Ennio Morricone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Ennio Morricone
    Posted: July 06 2020 at 02:48
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/06/ennio-morricone-dies-aged-91-film-composer-good-bad-ugly

RIP maestro 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 02:51
This is sad news, I did not know he was this old, 91. Been listening to his music all my life, I watched movies just because he did the soundtrack. 

RIP 

Edited by Cristi - July 06 2020 at 03:37
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 03:33
I'm really sorry to hear the sad news of Ennio Morricone's passing. He is easily the most prolific film score composer of all time with an incredible 500+ TV & film soundtracks to his credit as well as over 100 classical compositions. Heart

Here's the maestro himself conducting the orchestra in a spectacular concert from 2002.....

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 06 2020 at 03:35
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cactus Choir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 03:42
Very sad news, but 91 is a fine old age. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is my favourite soundtrack album of all time.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 04:53
I'm kind of reeling from this. I was woken up by a violent animal fight outside, and thought even though it's 3 am, am tired, and I haven't slept much, I should get down to my Interactive poll, which is film soundtracks, and I was still thinking, which Ennio Morricone choice will I pick as he has so many that I love? L'arena off the Mercenary, and used in in Kill Bill, was my plan.

Ennio Morricone is my favourite. I've played more Ennio Morricone than any other over the last decade. I love his music and have so many of his soundtracks in my collection. I especially have a lot of his 60s through 70s material in my collection, but he was still composing great music until recently.

RIP the Maestro.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 06:05
Heard of it on the radio in the morning, incredibly productive genius! He may well have had a good long life, and If I choose how to die, having an accident at 91 before any decline of the brain would surely not be the last on the list of options. RIP!

Edited by Lewian - July 06 2020 at 06:05
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 06:35
RIP! What a long and productive life. Won his first Oscar just 4 years ago for The Hateful Eight, after receiving a lifetime achievement nine years earlier. His music was so integral to the films he scored.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 07:05
I fell victim to the Mandela effect or something cause I seriously thought E. Morricone had been dead for a few years now.
:_: RIP
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 07:08
The man's music easily transcended movies. RIP.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 07:09
RiP to the Italian maestro, whom dazzeld the world with hes work.

Edited by Icarium - July 06 2020 at 07:09
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 07:31
He was responsible for so many excellent soundtracks. Just think of the iconic harmonica theme from "Once Upon a Time in the West"; one of the most quoted movie themes ever. R.I.P.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2020 at 11:14
In film score world few can be regarded as the top 5 but Morricone is up there in top three alongside Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams, Hans Zimmer and Bernard Hermann

and one of the most memorable composers of the 20th century. In the same breathas Gershwin and John Cage.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2020 at 07:28
Ennio Morricone - The "Peace Notes" concert from the Piazza San Marco, Venice 2007.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2020 at 23:12
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I'm kind of reeling from this. I was woken up by a violent animal fight outside, and thought even though it's 3 am, am tired, and I haven't slept much, I should get down to my Interactive poll, which is film soundtracks, and I was still thinking, which Ennio Morricone choice will I pick as he has so many that I love? L'arena off the Mercenary, and used in in Kill Bill, was my plan.

Ennio Morricone is my favourite. I've played more Ennio Morricone than any other over the last decade. I love his music and have so many of his soundtracks in my collection. I especially have a lot of his 60s through 70s material in my collection, but he was still composing great music until recently.

RIP the Maestro.

My favourite too from the 'Hollywood' greats.  I mean, he wasn't really Hollywood at all but that is how the wider world got introduced to him.  I feel he deserved more recognition but Sergio/De Palma are no match for the marketing power of Spielberg or Lucas.  I am not grudging the attention lavished on Williams.  He is a great composer too. I just wish Morricone would have had some of the limelight too.

RIP.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 01:26
I am not certain this link will work here, but for anyone who is interested here is a video where Morricone conducts his own music:

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 01:51
This passed me by I have to admit. Sad news indeed. The Spaghetti western trilogy with Clint Eastwood was truly memorable because of the music. Absolutely remarkable. 
RIP
 Post Reply Post Reply