Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

King Crimson - "Islands" (1971); Thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cactus Choir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 04:24
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Ladies of the Road mimics very well the dissolution it is attempting to illustrate but the chorus is lifted straight out of Mary Poppins' Chim Chim Cheree.

This had never occurred to me before but now you point it out it really does sound Chim Chim Cheree. I'll never be able to listen to it the same way again!
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 07:58
As I said here before.....'All Crimson albums are good...some are just better than others .'

Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 00:08
Music moves people in different ways. It's an individual emotional thing which can't be reduced to musicians + the writing + the instruments and voice + the production. While I've never gotten anything out of the second side of Islands a friend of mine thinks it's the best thing KC ever did. It's all upstairs inside the ears of the listener. Nobody is right or wrong about the music.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 15:14
Oooh.  I saw you could get the stars cover version of that album in a t-shirt at DGM.  I would really like to get that.  I got this album back in the LP era after I was really initiated into the band with Larks'.  Not nearly as spectacular but it has some great moments and as long as you don't get hung up on comparing it to other albums in the discography it's an enjoyable listen.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Ghost Whistler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2020 at 13:36
Just completed my KC collection of studio albums. Islands is pretty good. Although the title track is one of the weaker songs. Sailors Tale is really good. A bit more consistent than Lizard. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2020 at 20:25
Actually, I never ended up getting all of the studio albums, mostly because I got many live albums with many of the songs from those studio albums. Like Starless and Bible Black, I got I think all of the songs because of the live albums from the Wetton era (and mostly that album was supposedly made of live recordings anyway), and the 3 80's albums I got from a few live albums from the 80's and from the double trio (and mostly, the double trio versions are so much better anyway). And from Thrak I also got almost every song from the few live albums I got.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2020 at 00:16
BTW, I find that the SW remastering of Earthbound shows the band in a rather OK form and the Summit Studio on the bonus disc is excellent too.

I uwsed to be horrified at the sonic quality of EB (so thanks to SW for the remaster), but the Burrell-Wallace line-up was rather good on stage.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2020 at 00:22
Originally posted by Ghost Whistler Ghost Whistler wrote:

Just completed my KC collection of studio albums. Islands is pretty good. Although the title track is one of the weaker songs. Sailors Tale is really good. A bit more consistent than Lizard. 

Islands completed my early KC collection Smile.

Interesting note on Islands being more consistent than Lizard; I still don't hear it. I know many people bash Lizard for the vocals, but they've never bothered me. Funny how we all hear and prefer things that others can't stand sometimes! LOL

I guess Lizard feels like a KC record for me, where as Islands just feels like Fripp is lost and waiting do discover his true line-ups.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 17:36
I found in very hard to to find another crimson album like it, that being said it is an island of a album ,meaning it stands out among all the others plus it is more softer record in terms of sound my favorite song is ISLANDS next is LADIES OF THE ROAD reminds me of the beatles in melody .There is very little in the way of free forms as i found in LIZARD but more jazzier in the way in combo in traditional jazz, but also the classical PRELUDE SONG OF THE GULLS very handel sounding, it was definately a pleasure to listen to .Once again thank you for taking the time to read my review .GRANT

Edited by grantman - August 26 2020 at 17:37
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 17:44
^ Hope you don't mind, Grant, that I merged your topic with this one, but as this had also been posted in quite recently and I don't see much difference, and already had several pages of discussion, I didn't see much point in another Islands topic. Good idea to do a forum search (maybe you tried but It should be "any date" in advanced search) to see if there are similar topics to add to and search the forum a bit.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 19:26
It’s good, but like Lizard, it’s got a pretty narrow fan base. It’s easily their most minimalistic album, lots of open spaces in the arrangement and mix, Which is odd for people who come to Crim looking for density and heaviness.
I like it lots - not as much as Lizard, but it’s a completely different animal. It’s an Island, out on the sea far from land.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2020 at 11:39
Good review grant
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 09:57
I absolutely hated this album when it first came out. The years have been very kind to it (and its predecessor.) 
The Prog Corner
Grubert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 15:05
Take the best songs from Lizard and Islands, and bang, you have a great album.

The Letters and Sailor's Tale are amazing. But the Prelude feels odd on the album and the title track is a bit plodding, but still nice to hear. Ladies of the Road suffers from this odd refrain and is pretty good otherwise.
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 08:42
I like "Prelude - Song of the Gulls" and the mighty title-track, while the instrumental parts with free-jazz sound rather dated to me.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 11:15
It's ok. I don't hate it.
Originally posted by Boboulo Boboulo wrote:

I like "Prelude - Song of the Gulls" and the mighty title-track, while the instrumental parts with free-jazz sound rather dated to me.
I like those songs too.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 14:55
Rediscovered this album just some weeks ago. It's fantastic and pretty underrated. Don't know why... probably because it is one of these albums that insists a few more listens to fully appreciate. But it's very good, and I would say a bit unexpected from King Crimson because it is quite romantic.
Highly recommended if you haven't heard it or you believe you dislike it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123