Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

History blogs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: History blogs
    Posted: July 12 2020 at 14:05
Anyone else interested in History ? I run a couple of History blogs, latest one is about 13th century England. So far, the posts are more about the reigns of King John and Henry III. 

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 18:47
very nice!  I've often thought of starting a blog myself on some of my historical interests but .. well...  never got around to doing so. Wrote a book and do a fair amount of consulting work so that keeps me busy enough in my free hobby time.

I was about to ask about some of the other ones you did but think I found them in the introduction entry.

bookmarking you... looks interesting Thumbs Up
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Droxford View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 14:48

Thank you Micky. Appreciate your comments. 

I hope to write a new post soon about Fulk Fitz Warrin , who rebelled against King John in 1200, and became an outlaw for three years, living in a forest in Shropshire near the Anglo-Welsh border. 
Think that would be a great subject for a concept album. 

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

very nice!  I've often thought of starting a blog myself on some of my historical interests but .. well...  never got around to doing so. Wrote a book and do a fair amount of consulting work so that keeps me busy enough in my free hobby time.

I was about to ask about some of the other ones you did but think I found them in the introduction entry.

bookmarking you... looks interesting Thumbs Up
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 13:03
right on!!! Thumbs Up And my pleasure...  enjoyed reading those.  Like any good Yank I am both awed and ignorant by the depth of English history as compared to ours here in the States (having slept off many a hangover in my classes that might have covered English history.. I only work up long enough to know we kicked you all's asses then saved you a time or two later down the road haha)

in all seriousness..  enjoyed reading your entries and look forward to future entries Thumbs Up
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Droxford View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 06:29
Have updated the 13th century history blog with two new posts 

One is about Whittington Castle and the tale of  my  favourite 13th century outlaw Fouk Fitz Warine 

The second is guest post  by Adrian Price, former lecturer at Glamorgan University, particularly look at Fouk's connections with Wales. 

FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 11:24
Is there one on Xixia and the Mongol genocide of it's inhabitants? I'm guessing not... LOL
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Droxford View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2020 at 14:46

Not really got as far as uploading anything about the Mongols, but started a draft post about the Mongol invasion of Kharazm, which never got round to finishing. Indeed the genocidal campaigns launched by the Mongols, is a gruesome subject. 

The 13th century History is on hold for the next few months, as relaunching my 17th century War and Literature blog. Have just interview the thriller writer John Paul Davis about his interest in the 17th century. Looked at such topics as the claims that the Fire of London was started deliberately, and what happened to the crown jewels once Charles I was executed. 

Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Is there one on Xixia and the Mongol genocide of it's inhabitants? I'm guessing not... LOL
Droxford View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 13:47
I have updated my blog with an interview with Mark Turnbull, author of the novel 'Allegiance of Blood', set in the English Civil War. Discussed various aspects of the war, and how being involved in the battle re-enactment scene has helped the author with his writing. 

https://aburntship.blogspot.com/

Edited by Droxford - September 27 2020 at 13:52
Droxford View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 10:11
Have updated blog to include review of latest John Milton biography 'Poet of Revolution' by Nicholas McDowell, Also an interview with fiction writer and history researcher Tony Morgan about his interest in the Gunpowder Plot, along with a post about poetry related to the Gunpowder Plot. 

Edited by Droxford - November 09 2020 at 10:14
Droxford View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 13:54
Recent additions to my blog 'A Burnt Ship', looking at 17th century related warfare literature 

Interview with author Michael Ward , about his debut novel 'Rags of Time', set in London in 1639 -1640. Will be the first of a new Civil War related series of novels. 

https://aburntship.blogspot.com/2021/01/interview-with-michael-ward-on-his.html

Doing a lot of research about the Gunpowder Plot at present. Wrote a post about William Harrison Ainsworth's 1841 novel concerning the life of  Guy Fawkes

https://aburntship.blogspot.com/2020/12/guy-fawkes-or-gunpowder-treason-1841.html

Edited by Droxford - January 12 2021 at 13:55
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 18:52
My fave subject since the 70s (as well as prog, of course!) and an ongoing passion. Specialities : WW2 , very specifically the NSDAP, the Russo-Finnish war and did an essay on Mussolini. Later, I focused a lot on Warsaw Pact countries as well as the USSR , even supplied some controversial stuff on Yugoslavia post-Tito to a think tank. Unfortunately, the social media is rife with clueless (or lazy on research) commentators, who espouse some of the wildest BS ever! The great thing about history is , just like a crime scene, the first thing to determine is the unchallengeable: when (at what time) and where. The who, the what and the why is where the work kicks in , as you are taught to get BOTH sides (or more) of the story, in order to avoid the classic" history is written by the winners" syndrome. Interviewed nearly 70 former military veterans on a variety of subjects that set me straight on the futility of warfare.  
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Droxford View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2021 at 13:50
@Tzirmay  Would be interested in seeing your work if available.I am quite interested in a number of aspects of World War 2, though my Gunpowder Treason research takes precedence. 
As far as discussions on social media go, yes some people will just share a post or Youtube  video without saying why they think it has some value. The more genuine history buffs will give reasons why they are reposting and also offer sources for their work. 
And it certainly is a welcome development to see records, documents, texts, and various books available to read on line. Especially here in England when we are locked down again, so libraries and archives are shut. 

I have been adding to my 17th warfare & literature blog, but found that posts there  about historical fiction receive far more attention at present. 

https://aburntship.blogspot.com/

Droxford View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 13:45
Seems a while since I have said anything about history blogging. Still looking at 17th history warfare and related literature, poetry, modern fiction.  

I am also gradually moving posts that I have written about the Duke of Monmouth and the failed 1685 Rebellion to create a new blog.

Post Reply Post Reply