Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kansas vs Jethro Tull

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
45 [68.18%]
11 [16.67%]
6 [9.09%]
4 [6.06%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kansas vs Jethro Tull
    Posted: July 12 2020 at 16:21
I don't think I did this one yet. ;)
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 16:48
Both good, but those first 5 Kansas albums are special to me. Can put them on anytime and enjoy the hell out of them.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 17:07
Jethro Tull without any consideration for the other band. We listened to Kansas in high school. That's all that was necessary.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 17:21
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Jethro Tull without any consideration for the other band. We listened to Kansas in high school. That's all that was necessary.

Ouch.Ouch
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libor10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 17:24
In fact I don't think Kansas is real rival to Jethro Tull. For me no competition here. Jethro Tull without serious consideration.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 17:30
Easy - Tull.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 17:36
Both equally. Both are hugely important bands to me. Kerry Livgren is a monster guitarist and composer whose debut solo record Seeds of Change is on par with the band's best works, and better than most other major proggers' solo outings.

Kansas' first five albums are indispensable. After that, things are hit or miss, but there are some gems in the rough. Vinyl ConfessionsPower and Freaks of Nature are three very good and very underappreciated records.

For me, Tull really gets going starting with Minstrel. They peak with the '77-79 "folk trilogy." A couple more good albums, then the soggy Under Wraps, then the underrated Crest of a Knave. Then they peter out, for the most part. I do like some of Ian's solo albums, and The Christmas Album and Roots to Branches.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 17:41
JT. No contest 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 21:13
I like Kansas very much, but love Jethro Tull, so they get my vote.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 21:22
I voted both. Typically I'm more of a Kansas fan but at some point JT caught up so it's too close to call.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 21:27
I love Kansas. An amazing band that made a huge impression on me. But, I prefer JT these days in terms of complexity and versatility.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 21:36
I don't mind people voting JT over Kansas or even neither as long as they at least heard full albums by Kansas and aren't just judging them by their three radio hits. Imagine thinking Genesis sucks based just on what you hear by them on the radio. Same thing here imo.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 12 2020 at 21:37
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 22:16
Not crazy about either but Tull is in a different league than Kansas--and at least Tull has a very important prog album in Thick as a Brick.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 22:20
Good point! They did kind of change (and maybe not for the better) with albums like Drastic Measures.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 22:22
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

Good point! They did kind of change (and maybe not for the better) with albums like Drastic Measures.

Tull changed too and not for the better with under wraps.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 22:46
I did like some of the later stuff more when Steve Morse joined (on Power). Around that time he also appeared on Triumph’s album Surveillance. Some nice solo tradeoffs between Rik Emmett and Steve Morse.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 23:56
Tull probably should be leading but not by this much  Tongue

Edited by Enchant X - July 13 2020 at 00:25
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 03:50
Jethro Tull.  Kansas is ok to listen to but not in the same league as JT.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 08:12
Tull for sure

but Kansas is also amazing... at least for the first five albums
Prog On!
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 08:38
Are you kidding me. Despite I like, very much of Kansas, Jethro Tull by many miles away.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>