11 [31.43%]
20 [57.14%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [11.43%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 07:32
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I'm not wanting to vote, since I love all of them, and the scene that brought them up!

However, if we check the 13 or 14 people that voted (posted, but how did it get to 18 votes so far?), I'm willing to bet that they all have heard at least 20+ hours of Caravan, maybe 1 hour of SM, half hour of Kevin Ayers and if we're lucky, about 15 minutes of the original Gong.

I would say, then, that the poll is not really that fair at all, and makes the other three look rather ... poor ... in comparison to Caravan! I do happen to have 16 Caravan albums, but I also have 7 SM, 9 Kevin Ayers (stuck with him from the start!!!!) and everything GONG you can imagine including solos. So for me, even though Caravan gets a clap or two, they are not the defining group for Canterbury ... THE SCENE and its ARTISTS (including musicians) ARE!

But we, at PA ... don't believe in the scene! It was just a bunch of idiots getting stoned ... so that makes the music .... right ... NEXT!

Dude, what planet are you on, coz it aint Gong....???

Edited by Tom Ozric - July 14 2020 at 07:33
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 07:33

Hi,

I'm not wanting to vote, since I love all of them, and the scene that brought them up!

However, if we check the 13 or 14 people that voted (posted, but how did it get to 18 votes so far?), I'm willing to bet that they all have heard at least 20+ hours of Caravan, maybe 1 hour of SM, half hour of Kevin Ayers and if we're lucky, about 15 minutes of the original Gong.

I would say, then, that the poll is not really that fair at all, and makes the other three look rather ... poor ... in comparison to Caravan! I do happen to have 16 Caravan albums, but I also have 7 SM, 9 Kevin Ayers (stuck with him from the start!!!!) and everything GONG you can imagine including solos. So for me, even though Caravan gets a clap or two, they are not the defining group for Canterbury ... THE SCENE and its ARTISTS (including musicians) ARE!

But we, at PA ... don't believe in the scene! It was just a bunch of idiots getting stoned ... so that makes the music .... right ... NEXT!

Better delete my vote as I don't meet Pedro's criteria for voting. Please make sure you include all the vetting procedures in future polls so we can avoid this embarressing faux pas.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 08:01
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Hi,

Planet Caravan, maybe. Wink

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 08:06
^
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 08:29

Hi,

We do get a lot of stones underground within Pennsylvania and it does make it a royal pain in the convertible to plant trees in the front yard even though they wanted pears, but we had to settle on crabapples because the dogwoods were over eight feet tall. We have these really long metal rods for breaking up the sonatas. I didn't listen to all of these, but I still chose Eldorado. We can both wait in line for ham together. OK.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 09:42
All are very good works. But, this time I'm with the minority, especially in this case, since nobody chose "Magick Brother". I always loved it. So, "Magick Brother" must be.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 12:00

Hi,

Hi,

these are the folks for Magick Brother and there were other guests!

Not GONG? ... geee .... I think you need to get an album, dude ... your comments are ... Tongue
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 14:01
Softs 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 23:19
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Could've included Egg and Space Shanty as well!
I havenīt liked Egg really much, Space Shanty is good but not great IMO. I could have also put here Arzachel, but donīt think that also great.

Have to say didnīt know Caravan will be this clear winner (I was the only one who voted it in Caravan album poll), really surprised Toy hasnīt got any votes.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 23:46
Caravan is THE most mainstream and well-known of Canterbury Scene/Sound choices. It would do well even if people didn't know or like the album up against the others (which many will not know at all).   I like Joy of a Toy muchly, but voted for Magick Brother. Soft Machine's first could also get my vote. I like Caravan's debut, but Caravan is actually one of my less-liked bands in Canterbury Scene (and I love lots of Canterbury Scene music). I've said before that Caravan is THE Canterbury Scene band for those not really into the Canterbury scene/ sound.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 00:00
To me Caravan is the greatest Canterbury band, although I really love also Ayers, three first Soft Machine-albums and Gong. The next greatest is Matching Mole, really liked much Wyattīs Rock Bottom (havenīt yet listened any of his other solos, going to do that soon). Have to say Hatfieldīs Rotters is better album than their first.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 00:21
Soft Machine's eponymous album is very strong indeed; I haven't heard Joy Of A Toy but I can't imagine it being better. Gong's and Caravan's debut albums don't really stand out to me at all.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 01:14
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Caravan is THE most mainstream and well-known of Canterbury Scene/Sound choices. It would do well even if people didn't know or like the album up against the others (which many will not know at all).   I like Joy of a Toy muchly, but voted for Magick Brother. Soft Machine's first could also get my vote. I like Caravan's debut, but Caravan is actually one of my less-liked bands in Canterbury Scene (and I love lots of Canterbury Scene music). I've said before that Caravan is THE Canterbury Scene band for those not really into the Canterbury scene/ sound.

Caravan were my gentle introduction to Canterbury Scene music too, even before I'd heard of the Canterbury Scene. Smile
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 01:20
I voted caravan....stand out outfit from that genre...
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 02:18
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Soft Machine's eponymous album is very strong indeed; I haven't heard Joy Of A Toy but I can't imagine it being better. Gong's and Caravan's debut albums don't really stand out to me at all.
Very possible you donīt like "Joy Of a Toy", because itīs more like Caravan and Gong debuts than Soft Machine (I think itīs better than Soft Machine). But itīs worth of listening to any music lover. Ayers voice is the one thing I really love!

Edited by Mortte - July 15 2020 at 02:20
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 03:14
Joy of a Toy is a sweet album from Kevin. For me, it’s like the transitional album between the Psych leaning Soft Machine debut, and the more Jazz-Psych of SM Volume 2. A very twee and good natured album, with some twists. Typical Ayers

Edited by Tom Ozric - July 15 2020 at 03:16
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 03:23

Joy of a Toy is a sweet album from Kevin. For me, it’s like the transitional album between the Psych leaning Soft Machine debut, and the more Jazz-Psych of SM Volume 2. A very twee and good natured album, with some twists. Typical Ayers

I might be tempted to go out and buy a Kevin Ayers 5-CD box set for Ģ10, just as soon as the record stores reopen again. Smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 03:28
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I might be tempted to go out and buy a Kevin Ayers 5-CD box set for Ģ10, just as soon as the record stores reopen again. Smile
That sounds like a great plan !!   I was quite shocked to learn he developed a smack addiction. Not even the humble Canterbury dudes were immune......
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 03:51

That sounds like a great plan !!   I was quite shocked to learn he developed a smack addiction. Not even the humble Canterbury dudes were immune......

Kevin Ayers died at the age of 68 in 2013, so he didn't do too bad compared to the unfortunate members of "the 27 club." Confused
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 04:49

Kevin Ayers died at the age of 68 in 2013, so he didn't do too bad compared to the unfortunate members of "the 27 club." Confused
Ayers 6 first albums are really great, hope that box has most from there! Yes, Ayers lived quite old, but I believe heīs dope using affected into quality of his later albums. His last "The Unfairground" is really good anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>