Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which is THE Strawbs Epic?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which is THE Strawbs Epic?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [8.00%]
3 [12.00%]
3 [12.00%]
2 [8.00%]
2 [8.00%]
7 [28.00%]
6 [24.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which is THE Strawbs Epic?
    Posted: July 14 2020 at 09:11
Which is THE Strawbs Epic?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 09:28
I don't know any of those songs, but I do know that Hero & Heroine is my favourite Strawbs album. Smile
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 09:45
As a huge Strawbs fan, I could say "all of them", because they're all exceptional, but Down by the Sea is my choice.
The opening guitar riff (copied by Bleak House on Rainbow Warrior, then by Metallica on Welcome Home (Sanitarium) is just awesome, as is the rest of the song.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 09:47
Very interesting and difficult poll. I think I'm going to choose an option that almost nobody will choose. So, "The Battle" it is.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 10:42
Good one, Steve! I'd never have thought of this poll/thread, but there are some great ones here! Picked "Ghosts" from my favorite Strawbs album.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 10:45
^ Thanks Drew. I forgot to include The Vision Of The Lady Of The Lake. KenLevine is going to give me hell! Angry Ouch!
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 12:22
My favorite is Ghosts, so that got my vote, but The River/Down by the Sea, and Autumn are also stellar.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 13:13
The Antique Suite for me.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 13:39
I love Blue Angel the best, but I think of it as a solo Cousins tune, as that is how I first heard it, on Two Weeks Last Summer.

Hard to choose between Ghosts and New World for me, although I love all of these, those two are very closely tied together in terms of what I love about Strawbs.

I've always loved the juxtaposition of the lullaby into the nightmare of Ghosts, so that's where I'm going. Plus I kind of have a thing for dreams and spooky things.

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
xhouse View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 13:52
The Battle is short—certainly not of epic length, but it is most certainly epic in nature. Also The Vision Of The Lady Of The Lake is a strong contender.
Between Thought and Expression Lies True Perception
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 14:00
Ghosts
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 15:05
The Autumn suite is stellar. 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 16:01
Blue Angel - Dave's masterpiece! I know it started out as a solo track, but I think it has cemented its place in the band's hall of fame ever since! ❤️

.... Autumn would be next, though.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 17:05
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^ Thanks Drew. I forgot to include The Vision Of The Lady Of The Lake. KenLevine is going to give me hell! Angry Ouch!

If he doesn't, I will AngryLOL

The most epic?? Hangman & Papist

But I'll take Where Is This Dream of Your Youth (also unlisted) on Antiques & Curios

Edited by Sean Trane - July 15 2020 at 01:16
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 18:34
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I don't know any of those songs, but I do know that Hero & Heroine is my favourite Strawbs album. Smile

The Hero and heroine theme is an epic, even though it gets broken up, isn't it? Since it's not an option here I've chosen River/Down by the Sea.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 20:01
Autumn....perhaps my favorite track by Strawbs.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 21:43
I went with Autumn, though Ghosts and Blue Angel are close seconds, depending on the mood.  All of those listed are excellent and show a huge variety of what constitutes an epic

Steve, if you included "The Vision of the Lady of the Lake" you would also have had to include "The Ferryman's Curse"
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 04:59
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Steve, if you included "The Vision of the Lady of the Lake" you would also have had to include "The Ferryman's Curse"
Absolutely Ken, they're parts 1 and 2, as far as you and I are concerned.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 06:28
This is really a hard choice, since all these are great pieces of music. I'll vote for ghosts, but any of them cold win, and that would be fine with me.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 09:42
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

As a huge Strawbs fan, I could say "all of them", because they're all exceptional, but Down by the Sea is my choice.
The opening guitar riff (copied by Bleak House on Rainbow Warrior, then by Metallica on Welcome Home (Sanitarium) is just awesome, as is the rest of the song.

I listened to those two songs and both have remarkable similarities not just in the riff but in certain other parts of the songs as related to parts of "Down by the Sea".   I remember someone else saying the heavier sung parts of the song reminded him of Marillion.   Off topic slightly, I always thought that Peter Gabriel had listened to Strawbs' "Simple Visions" before penning "Solsbury Hill".  Not that it's a copy or anything
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>