Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jon Lord: Lord of the Keys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jon Lord: Lord of the Keys
    Posted: July 15 2020 at 01:42
Jon Lord (1941-2012), the legendary keyboard wizard of Deep Purple, is probably the loudest piano player known to mankind. The piano is a stringed instrument in the orchestra and his characteristic BOOM OF THE TINGLING STRINGS can clearly be heard on his debut GEMINI SUITE album, if we care TO NOTICE SUCH THINGS.  In fact, Jon Lord is so marvellously versatile, he can easily switch between playing Hard Rock, or performing a SARABANDE dance, or even a DURHAM CONCERTO. If we go BEYOND THE NOTES and really listen to the albums PICTURED WITHIN this thread, it'll hopefully open up whole new WINDOWS into Jon Lord's wonderful music. BEFORE I FORGET to mention it, this tribute thread includes Jon Lord's CONCERTO FOR GROUP & ORCHESTRA with Deep Purple, and also his powerhouse trio album under the group name, Paice-Ashton-Lord.

All albums in BLUE HIGHLIGHTS by Jon Lord

Jon Lord's Albums

3 stars 2003: Live at the Basement (with the Hoochie Coochie Men) - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzCO6E8k_ZK-Nfj1mEy6P2Cz
 3 stars 2007: Danger: White Men Dancing (with the Hoochie Coochie Men) - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzDu3ManQKNYN76AmCQXsvxw

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 13 2021 at 13:56
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 01:56
Gemini Suite (1971)

Windows (1974) - The Album

Windows (1974) - The Concert

Sarabande (1976)

More albums to follow.....

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 16 2020 at 12:04
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 02:34
Magnificent organist. The main reason I love Deep Purple so much.
Dang, not one post without any errors. f**k this ipod - think I need specs......

Edited by Tom Ozric - July 15 2020 at 03:25
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 03:18
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Magnificent organist. The main reason I love Deep Purple so much.

I totally agree. Thumbs Up They say an elephant never forgets, and Before I Forget, I just wanted to post  the videos for Jon Lord's fourth solo album from 1982..... Smile

1. Chance on a Feeling

2. Tender Babes

3. Hollywood Rock 'n' Roll

4. Bach Onto This

5. Before I Forget

6. Say It's All Right

7. Burntwood

8. Where Are You?

9. Pavane

10. For a Friend

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 15 2020 at 03:20
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 05:12
You've missed the one I would have voted for - the Durham Concerto
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 05:19
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

You've missed the one I would have voted for - the Durham Concerto

It's never too late. I'll add the Durham Concereto to the list at the top of the page. Smile

1. The Cathedral at Dawn

2. Durham Awakes

3. The Road from Lindisfarne

4. From Prebends Bridge

5. Rags & Galas

6. Durham Nocturne

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 05:38
Thanks Paul, it's a wonderful piece of music.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 06:52
Agreed...
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 07:44
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Thanks Paul, it's a wonderful piece of music.

I'm glad you reminded me to include Durham Concerto. Thumbs Up

Pictured Within (1998) - Jon Lord's long-awaited fifth solo album following a gap of 16 years.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 15 2020 at 08:02
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 16:48
Beyond the Notes - The Album  (2004)

Beyond the Notes - The Live Performance (2004) (featuring a special guest appearance by Frida from ABBA)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 18 2020 at 11:01
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2020 at 23:33
maybe the one guy that Keith Emerson looked up to.

I have Sarabande and would rate that about a 3 and Concerto For Group and Orchestra (the later re-recorded version) which is an easy 4. I feel that he could have done more as a solo artist but his introverted nature (he suffered many years with a pronounced stutter) held him back considerably. He had no peers though . An absolute legend just for Child In Time if nothing else. Beat that if you can ( you can't)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 01:26
Child in Time has always been one of my Deep Purple favourites too. This is a 2010 performance from Nidarosdomen, wherever that is. Smile

..... And this is another performance of Child in Time from 2009, featuring Steve Lee on vocals.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 16 2020 at 01:38
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 01:56
Paice Ashton Lord are an interesting band, I think they only made 1 album but it's worth a listen in a rocky funky kind of way. I saw them at Hammersmith Odeon when Tony Ashton fell off the stage on the way to his keyboard and played the whole gig in pain.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 02:09
I'm glad you mentioned the Paice-Ashton-Lord album, and here it is! Smile

PAICE-ASHTON-LORD - Malice in Wonderland (1977) - with bonus tracks included

PAICE-ASHTON-LORD - Malice in Wonderland Live (1977) - a BBC Sight & Sound concert

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 02:14
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

maybe the one guy that Keith Emerson looked up to.

I have Sarabande and would rate that about a 3 and Concerto For Group and Orchestra (the later re-recorded version) which is an easy 4. I feel that he could have done more as a solo artist but his introverted nature (he suffered many years with a pronounced stutter) held him back considerably. He had no peers though . An absolute legend just for Child In Time if nothing else. Beat that if you can ( you can't)
The Windows album was something of a disappointment for me, mainly because one of the two featured sopranos went ridiculously over-the-top with her ultra-high vocal range - which would probably disturb any cats and dogs in the neighbourhood. Smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 09:58
Before I Forget is the one I like most. "Tender Babes," "Hollywood Rock and Roll" and "Burntwood" are magnificent cuts. I love that album.

Jon Lord's awesome. Without him, Deep Purple would have been MUCH less interesting.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 10:03
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 10:03
Paul, I'm disappointed. You didn't do your usual clever thing in the intro this time. Oh well. ;)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 12:48
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Paul, I'm disappointed. You didn't do your usual clever thing in the intro this time. Oh well. ;)

I know. I just wanted to say it's good of you TO NOTICE SUCH THINGS, BEFORE I FORGET to mention it. I was rather lazy in copying and pasting the intro to my review for the GEMINI SUITE album PICTURED WITHIN this thread. I could perform a SARABANDE dance of joy listening to Jon Lord's marvellous BOOM OF THE TINGLING STRINGS on his DURHAM CONCERTO. This thread has revealed WINDOWS into Jon Lord's music I didn't know existed before. If I really listen to a CONCERTO FOR GROUP & ORCHESTRA and go BEYOND THE NOTES, it feels just like being there IN CONCERT WITH THE LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA in my  front room. Smile 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 14:50
^Hey, better late than never. ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>