Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

YES - Drama (1980)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: YES - Drama (1980)
    Posted: July 16 2020 at 06:38
This time around, I'm Going for the One and only YES album to feature Trevor Horn on vocal duties. It is of course, Drama. The tenth studio album from YES is The Yes Album that's been the Big Generator of almost as much Talk and controversy over the years as the legendary Tales from Topographic Oceans album. Time and a Word has it that much Drama ensued with an earlier unsuccessful attempt to record a YES album in Paris and London.  There was a Magnification of tensions within the band and tempers were Close to the Edge of boiling over with several Fragile egos at stake, which resulted in Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman temporarily leaving the YES line-up. In the seemingly endless Relayer race of YES line-ups, this left the way open for producer Trevor Horn to step in as a late replacement for Jon Anderson alongside his Buggles bandmate Geoff Downes on keyboards. The subsequent album and concert tour was met with a mixed reception, with some rather unkind audience members in the U.K doing the verbal equivalent of throwing rotten Tormatoes at singer Trevor Horn  by rudely booing him when he was performing onstage. The album climbed The Ladder of success though and reached No. 2 in the U.K albums chart. For anyone who hasn't already heard the Drama album, I hope this album tribute thread will help you gain the Keys to Ascension and Open Your Eyes and ears to what a great album it is. Jon Anderson reappeared on the next YES album 90125 with Trevor Horn taking on the role of producer, but Heaven & Earth would have to be moved before Rick Wakeman reappeared on a YES re-Union album in 1991. There are six Yessongs on the Drama album and I'll post the six accompanying YouTube videos below before I Fly from Here. Smile

YES line-up:- Trevor Horn; Steve Howe; Chris Squire; Geoff Downes; & Alan White

Track Listing

1. Machine Messiah  (10:25)
2. White Car  (1:21)
3. Does It Really Happen  (6:33)
4. Into the Lens  (8:33)
5. Run Through the Light  (4:42)
6. Tempus Fugit  (5:16) 

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 24 2023 at 14:46
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 07:00
1. Machine Messiah

2. White Car

3. Does It Really Happen

4. Into the Lens

5. Run Through the Light

6. Tempus Fugit

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 16 2020 at 07:11
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 07:43
Drama is pretty amazing considering the music bizz of 1980.
Also, do yourself a favour and get a hold of those Buggle albums - Age of Plastic is mostly excellent, Adventures in Modern Recording is very different, but is decent too, especially Vermillion Sands, and I am a Camera.

Edited by Tom Ozric - July 16 2020 at 08:02
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 07:50
Who could forget this Buggles classic.....

And this one too.....

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 16 2020 at 07:53
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 08:05
^ Exactly !! Maybe not the Prog workout that was Into The Lens, but admirable nevertheless.

Edited by Tom Ozric - July 16 2020 at 08:05
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 08:17
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Exactly !! Maybe not the Prog workout that was Into The Lens, but admirable nevertheless.
And Trevor Horn has the added bonus of sounding remarkably like Jon Anderson on the Drama album too. Smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 08:28
^ Marginally. Again, admirable attempt. Still love the outcome.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 08:38
Here's a much later live performance of Machine Messiah from Lyon in 2009

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 16 2020 at 08:39
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 09:39
I moslty love Machine Messiah, rather unexpected to find something sounding like that in the midst of Yes music... prog metal before there was prog metal. White car is a nice little thing (I've read something about the White Car suite during their tours... was there some sort of extended version of the song played live? that might have been interesting). Another one that I like, though it seems to be overlooked within the album, is Run through the Light.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 11:23
It was 2010 decade when I heard this first time (got earlier picture this is really boring album). Like it more than Tormato, but not more than any other Yes 60/70ties album. Also I think next two albums are better. Fav is Tempus Fugit.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 11:40
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

It was 2010 decade when I heard this first time (got earlier picture this is really boring album). Like it more than Tormato, but not more than any other Yes 60/70ties album. Also I think next two albums are better. Fav is Tempus Fugit.

The 90125 and Big Generator albums will be coming up next, although not until I've finished writing the long intros. Ideally, I should have featured the Drama album first, in chronological order of post-1970's YES albums, instead of jumping straight in with The Ladder album. Smile
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 16:41
This album rules. In my top Yes albums; they really brought themselves back with this one IMHO. Does It Really Happen?, Machine Messiah, Into The Lens, Tempus Fugit; all classic, 10/10 Yes tracks.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 16:54
Like many, I spat my dummy out when Trevor replaced Jon, and practically boycotted the album. How immature I was! Rediscovering it in more recent times, I really enjoy it and it flows better than many of the Yes albums that followed it. Machine Messiah is a quality track, and there are several others too!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 22:53
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

The 90125 and Big Generator albums will be coming up next, although not until I've finished writing the long intros. Ideally, I should have featured the Drama album first, in chronological order of post-1970's YES albums, instead of jumping straight in with The Ladder album. Smile
I am quite chronological guy, listen for example artists discographies in chronological order, but it´s always good to "break ones rules" sometimes! Anyway wait those next ones, those two are my fav post seventies Yes-albums!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2020 at 23:12
^ Me too! I listen to the artists in my CD collection in alphabetical order and then listen to their albums in chronological order. Smile
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 00:53
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Like many, I spat my dummy out when Trevor replaced Jon, and practically boycotted the album. How immature I was! Rediscovering it in more recent times, I really enjoy it and it flows better than many of the Yes albums that followed it. Machine Messiah is a quality track, and there are several others too!

Dude the second I realized Trevor and Jeff were BUGGLES I BUGGED OUT.

"You mean VIDEO KILLED THE RADIO STAR is part of YES?!"

Horn is a very, very skilled producer and I would say Buggles are proof he knows his craft inside and out. What a title to hold; first music video ever aired on MTV August 1981 (I was -7 for context LOL)!

There's just as much mixed meter, odd tempo YES-nes on Drama - maybe even some of their most dynamic period!

The artwork is exceptional as well. So glad they went back to a classic Dean art on this one. All of the energy of the album is captured on that "landscape", with animals "hiding themselves" Wink Cool.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 00:00
I think I was initially put off because I expected a pale imitation of Yes. I only gave in and bought the album about 10 years ago really to complete my collection but now I would put it in my top 5 Yes albums. A real burst of late creativity and their last 5 star album although they made a good half dozen decent albums after it. White and Squire are particularly impressive. The dynamic worked.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 00:25
They even had a Yes/Buggles crossover song: "I Am a Camera", which sounded pretty much the same in both versions. Maybe Yes should have done "Video Killed the Radio Star" too. Then again, perhaps not.  Smile
bender99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bender99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 00:26
I listened to it a few days ago and honestly i'd forgotten just how good it is. Would've been interesting to see just what else that version of Yes would've come up with if they'd have stuck together.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 00:31
Originally posted by bender99 bender99 wrote:

I listened to it a few days ago and honestly i'd forgotten just how good it is. Would've been interesting to see just what else that version of Yes would've come up with if they'd have stuck together.
Yes, if the Drama line-up had stuck together, I'm sure they could have come up with a better album than "Big Generator". Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 18 2020 at 00:32
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>