Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non-symphonic prog epics (20 mins) !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 00:26
Tangerine Dream - Force Majeure
Aphrodites Child - And All The Seats Were Occupied
Jean Michel Jarre - Magnetic Fields Pt1

Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 01:36
Fates Warning - The Ivory Gates Of Dreams
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 06:25
Henry Cow - 'Living in the Heart of the Beast' - or 'Trondheim' if you really want an epic that clocks in at nearly 90 minutes.
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 06:12
Pretty much the entire recorded output of Klaus Schulze.
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 08:53
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Amon Düül II: Yeti, Syntelman´s March Of the Roaring Seventies, Restless Skylight - Transistor Child & Chamsin Soundtrack

Hi,

Kinda weird to see this listed, specially when Renate has explained that one of their most important inspirations in the early days, was CLASSICAL MUSIC ... not rock music, or pop music, and these long cuts just continuing non stop is a sort of classical piece with rock instruments ... as for Symphonic, when we wake up to defining it properly, and not having keyboards cheating ... let me know ... I have never thought of AD2 as "non-symphonic" at all ... just classical, and the word "symphonic" is a part of it, although in the 20th century the parts that made it "symphonic" (ie ... melody) were kinda left behind very often to create something different.

Pretty soon, Stravinsky is not "symphonic" either ... Tomita, showed us differently!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 08:56
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

Hi,

Right on ... well done! 

PS: Do you really think that most progressive folks here can listen to 5 minutes of KS? It's too long (so much meandering and wasted musical space), has no bass guitar, the drums are probably too simple and missing a loud obnoxious snare drum, and usually no guitar ... unless Manuel Gottsching shows up for a cup of tea!

Tongue

Edited by moshkito - July 21 2020 at 08:57
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 09:09
I have to believe it's hard to be a true Proghead without a long attention span..!
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 09:16
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

I would suggest L'Europe, by Noir Désir :

interesting choice

very unusual ND album... their last, five years after the previous one, and totall different than all they'd done before. Could actually be my fave, and IMHO, their "proggier one" (but no PA material)

I'm not sure that they (the band) had another album in them, no matter the dramatic events of Cantat-Trintignan.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 09:45
Just a few seconds under 20 minutes:

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 09:49
@ Sean Trane: If this interests you, you also might be interested by their last collaborative effort Nous n'avons fait que fuir :

55 minutes of improvisation, recorded live in 2002, a year before Cantat committed the irreparable. It was published as a 60-page booklet of the text with the CD included (it helps if you understand French...).
Maybe not PA material either, but to me this is more progressive (in the etymological sense of the word) than what many prog bands nowadays produce.

Edited by suitkees - July 21 2020 at 09:50

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 09:51
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

And the title track of Harmonic Ascendant and "Elements" from Driftin' by Klaus' protégé, Robert Schroeder. 

Not to mention Tangerine Dream have a few...Zeit and Rubycon, anyone?

And this guy! Clap

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 09:51
I remember a long time ago standing next to a woman in line at a prog festival who insisted that Yes were not a symphonic progressive rock band. No way no how according to her. I had a pretty bitter argument with her about it. Even back then(this was in the year 2000 I believe)I knew that Yes were considered to be symphonic even if she didn't think so. I suppose if Yes aren't symphonic then neither were Genesis or King Crimson. Looking back she probably just had a more strict definition of symphonic and thought it meant the band had to play with symphonies or something. To her credit there probably isn't much about the Yes album that is symphonic but as soon as Rick joined I would think her argument doesn't hold much water.

Anyway, I think that if Jethro Tull's thick as a brick can be mentioned then so should Nektar's remember the future. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 21 2020 at 09:52
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 09:54
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

you know.. the more interesting poll would have been symphonic epics..

Tarkus, KE9... were they symphonic?  Are you an idiot?
Supper's Ready.. a montage of song sippets.. that was not symphonic
Close to the Edge.. symphonic? are you kidding me.. it was a pop song

so the better question might be.. what truly was?

Do these songs not have symphonic (or orchestral) elements as well as pop and rock? What prog rock 'epic' is not an a amalgam of styles? 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 13:13
Mickey is taking the piss by defining CTTE as a pop song....
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 13:21
If I recall, there was the argument that Close To The Edge more or less follows verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/verse/chorus structure (similar to a typical pop song) rather than sonata form or any structure common to classical music. Somehow this leads to the conclusion that Close To The Edge was 100% pop music, and Yes took 0 influence from classical/symphonic music. I'm exaggerating, of course.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 14:54
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

@ Sean Trane: If this interests you, you also might be interested by their last collaborative effort Nous n'avons fait que fuir :

55 minutes of improvisation, recorded live in 2002, a year before Cantat committed the irreparable. It was published as a 60-page booklet of the text with the CD included (it helps if you understand French...).
Maybe not PA material either, but to me this is more progressive (in the etymological sense of the word) than what many prog bands nowadays produce.

t'tracasses, je suis au 220v/16AWink

Cantat était presque un dieu (je suis pourtant athée) avant qu'il ne tombe de son piédestalOuch... j'ai mis des années à m'en remettre et j'étais encore là lors de son dernier concert à l'AB à Bxl. 

lors oui, ND, c'était surtout Bertrand et ses textes et ses aventures artistiques (même si les autres n'étaient pas en reste), mais putain, qu'est-ce qu'il est allé faire dans cette galère à Vilnius, bordel!!Nuke

RSVP, but in English, please!!Smile

Edited by Sean Trane - July 21 2020 at 15:00
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 15:27
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

nah.. just pissing on those who don't know a thing about music...

What everyone seems to forget about Yes.. were they were fans of pop music and HIGHLY influenced BY pop music. The stated goal of the group was to merge ..not classical with rock.. but high powered instrumental ability with the catchiness and hooks of pop music. Close to the Edge is nothing more earthshaking than possibly the world's first..hell maybe only 19 minute long pop song. Complete with the intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/middle8/instrumental-break/verse/chorus/outro pop song structure. 
While everyone went on thinking that standard popular song formats would only support 2 or 3 minute long songs.. Yes showed that the standard pop format could support complex and sustained melodies. The trick of it again.. to pull it off it had to be all about quality. Otherwise.. you would have to aural equivilant of having 19 minutes of 'My Heart Will Go On: Love Theme from Titanic' pumped into your brain. Even with the kick ass rickenbacker.. I suspect that would not be enough to hold on to many listeners.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
anoopanunya View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anoopanunya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 16:50
Nine Feet Underground by Caravan. It’s everything that rock should’ve been. Everything.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 07:17
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Complete with the intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/middle8/instrumental-break/verse/chorus/outro pop song structure. While everyone went on thinking that standard popular song formats would only support 2 or 3 minute long songs.. Yes showed that the standard pop format could support complex and sustained melodies. The trick of it again.. to pull it off it had to be all about quality. 
Hi,

Sir ... do you think that the description of the song bits/style (in the average pop song), is a bit too much for "progressive" fans to appreciate? It's there for the bass, the guitar and some good keyboards ... but that definition is ... yeah ... scary ... progressive? 

Hardly!

Edited by moshkito - July 22 2020 at 07:18
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 07:30
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Yes, but I was agreeing with his "misrepresentations". There is at least a kernel of truth to what he was making fun of, if not more.

Edited by SteveG - July 22 2020 at 07:33
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>