Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non-symphonic prog epics (20 mins) !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rrattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 07:48
First song on Pan.Thy.Monium's first album. 21:46
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 17:08
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Mickey is taking the piss by defining CTTE as a pop song....

nah.. just pissing on those who don't know a thing about music...

What everyone seems to forget about Yes.. were they were fans of pop music and HIGHLY influenced BY pop music. The stated goal of the group was to merge ..not classical with rock.. but high powered instrumental ability with the catchiness and hooks of pop music. Close to the Edge is nothing more earthshaking than possibly the world's first..hell maybe only 19 minute long pop song. Complete with the intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/middle8/instrumental-break/verse/chorus/outro pop song structure. 
While everyone went on thinking that standard popular song formats would only support 2 or 3 minute long songs.. Yes showed that the standard pop format could support complex and sustained melodies. The trick of it again.. to pull it off it had to be all about quality. Otherwise.. you would have to aural equivilant of having 19 minutes of 'My Heart Will Go On: Love Theme from Titanic' pumped into your brain. Even with the kick ass rickenbacker.. I suspect that would not be enough to hold on to many listeners.

What about Echoes by Pink Floyd? It seems to me like that song also follows a more or less verse/chorus format with a big extended bridge.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 06:10
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Harvest of Souls, The Last Human Gateway (OK, it's 3s short on the original, but not on the 2013 remix) and The Narrow Margin by IQ are all stunning

Huge IQ fan, so completely agree these are all classics.....but are they really non-symphonic?  Yes, IQ are called neo, but really?.....
Muskrat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muskrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 12:11
Hello !
Non symphonic prog epic ?

MODRY EFFECT Nova Syntéza2 22:15
MAGMA Félicité Thosz : 28:06
OPETH Black Rose Immortal 20:14
DELUGE GRANDER Inaugural Bash 26:57 Heart

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 12:30
If CTTE is a pop song, then I'm a fecking stunning 21 year old blonde, with large hooters and a full set of working female plumbing accesories...😁
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 12:38
Pics please!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 12:41
TAAB part 1, TAAB part 2. Each at 20 minutes.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 12:41
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Pics please!
Confused
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 12:46

If CTTE is a pop song, then I'm a fecking stunning 21 year old blonde, with large hooters and a full set of working female plumbing accesories...😁

Surprising as internet can be ! I really imagined you to be a male in his 50s... Would be nice to drink a beer with you (and that has nothing to do with the hooters, sincerely).

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 12:47
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Pics please!

Eh? Well CTTE aint pop amd I've got a set of hairy danglers and usually blue fluff in my belly button amidst a dense thicket of black hair...i'm the missing link me....more neanderthal genes than most probably....😃
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 12:51
Sounds about right.  
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 12:58
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Amon Düül II: Yeti, Syntelman´s March Of the Roaring Seventies, Restless Skylight - Transistor Child & Chamsin Soundtrack

Hi,

Kinda weird to see this listed, specially when Renate has explained that one of their most important inspirations in the early days, was CLASSICAL MUSIC ... not rock music, or pop music, and these long cuts just continuing non stop is a sort of classical piece with rock instruments ... as for Symphonic, when we wake up to defining it properly, and not having keyboards cheating ... let me know ... I have never thought of AD2 as "non-symphonic" at all ... just classical, and the word "symphonic" is a part of it, although in the 20th century the parts that made it "symphonic" (ie ... melody) were kinda left behind very often to create something different.

Pretty soon, Stravinsky is not "symphonic" either ... Tomita, showed us differently!
Really, I am not the one caring which category some music belongs, all I care is GREAT MUSIC! In PA I think Amon Düül is put into KRAUTROCK, that´s the reason why I mentioned these great pieces in this thread.
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 13:22
The Legend of Elijah Shade - Arena
London Song - Big Big Train
The Underfall Yard - Big Big Train
Sleeping in Traffic - Beardfish
Big Boy - Cheeto's Magazine
Singularity - Devin Townsend
Illumination Theory - Dream Theater
Octavarium - Dream Theater
Symphony No. 2 - Egg
Parallel World - Far East Family Band
A Pleasant Shade of Grey - Fates Warning
Milliontown - Frost*
Seas of Change - Galahad
Providence - Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Visions - Haken
Three Minute Warning - Liquid Tension Experiment
Cassandra Gemini - The Mars Volta
Hergest Ridge, Pt. I - Mike Oldfield
Return to Ommadawn, Pt. I and Pt. II - Mike Oldfield
Tubular Bells, Pt. I and Pt. II - Mike Oldfield
As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls - Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays
The Way Up - Pat Metheny Group
Atom Heart Mother - Pink Floyd
The Sky Moves Sideways (Alternate Version) - Porcupine Tree
Raider II - Steven Wilson
The Divine Wings of Tragedy - Symphony X
The Odyssey - Symphony X
Concealing Fate - TesseracT
Meurglys III (The Songwriters Guild) - Van der Graaf Generator
A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers - Van der Graaf Generator

The full version of Phish's "Time Turns Elastic" (which comprises the majority of Trey Anastasio's solo album of the same name) is well over 20 minutes.
The Tale of the Altered Beast by King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard falls 13 seconds short.

To name a few :P

Edited by tempest_77 - July 24 2020 at 13:23
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 00:23

What everyone seems to forget about Yes.. were they were fans of pop music and HIGHLY influenced BY pop music. The stated goal of the group was to merge ..not classical with rock.. but high powered instrumental ability with the catchiness and hooks of pop music. Close to the Edge is nothing more earthshaking than possibly the world's first..hell maybe only 19 minute long pop song. Complete with the intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/middle8/instrumental-break/verse/chorus/outro pop song structure. 
While everyone went on thinking that standard popular song formats would only support 2 or 3 minute long songs.. Yes showed that the standard pop format could support complex and sustained melodies. The trick of it again.. to pull it off it had to be all about quality. Otherwise.. you would have to aural equivilant of having 19 minutes of 'My Heart Will Go On: Love Theme from Titanic' pumped into your brain. Even with the kick ass rickenbacker.. I suspect that would not be enough to hold on to many listeners.

CTTE is my favorite prog recording of all time, and I don't disagree at all with this.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 01:03
La Fiesta - Chick Corea (off the album Return to Forever, which I suppose is where the name for his subsequent group came from).
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 01:05
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

CTTE is my favorite prog recording of all time, and I don't disagree at all with this.

CTTE is so obviously not a 'pop song' its ridiculous. My god it has melody and perhaps some hummable sections so it must be pop. I also hereby disqualify Suppers Ready and Karn Evil 9. If you can listen to it without getting a headache then it can't be prog obviously. (ok ELP may give you a headache anywayLOL)
Muskrat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muskrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 05:23
JOHN MAYALL Bare Wires Suite 23:00

Not a prog epic ? Are you sure ? In fact, I didn't fund the prog definition on progarchives... Confused

Edited by Muskrat - July 27 2020 at 05:24
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 07:32
Nine Feet Underground, Caravan. I don't reckon that counts as symphonic...?
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 09:35
This should get the blood circulating:

39:08 of progulosity 2020 style by Zorn's Simulacrum group (Medeski / Hollenberg / Grohowski). Some of the best music released this year, according to me.

Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 03:41
ahem... no one mentioned these so far?

and how about this?

and hardly anyone knows this:

Edited by BaldJean - July 28 2020 at 03:52

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>