Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bands that could have been successful, but weren't
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bands that could have been successful, but weren't

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 15:53
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I've always thought that The Rolling Stones could have become more popular if they had released a few more albums. I just don't think the music-buying public got an idea of who the band really was after only releasing 30 studio albums, 28 live albums and 26 compilation albums.

I've always thought that the Beatles could have been more popular than Jesus had they lived about 2000 years ago, been crucified, sealed in a cave, and then an angelic Brian Epstein appeared before a groupie outside the tomb and told her that she should tell everyone to pre-order tickets for a Beatles Revival concert cause, praise God, they are getting better, better all the time -- so they had better be ready for this, the ultimate come-back concert. The faithful are still waiting, but think the concert is imminent.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 16:17
These guys.

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 22:52

This awesome band for sure
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 00:47
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

A Alan says it does depend how you define 'successful' but if we're talking bands that deserved to be HUGE commercially, then three spring to mind.

Renaissance, The Enid and It Bites.

Renaissance and the Enid made near perfect music for a respective run of albums, and both had the components of would could have been a very successful formula. Renaissance had the beautiful voice of Annie Haslam, and the striking piano work of John out. The Enid fused rock with classical in the same way as ELP (but obviously different!), with the occasional ambiance of Floyd.

It Bites had the look, the sound, the musical chops, the melodies, but they were simply too prog for pop, and too pop for prog. They tried to prog people without them knowing, but the music press kept pointing out their prog credentials and steering people away. The only magazine that seemed behind them was, bizarrely the heavy metal mag Kerrang!

The problem with the first two was 'timing' . They started to get a bit of a buzz at the wrong time(punk /new wave) so they were swimming against the tide . It Bites - Calling All Heroes got a stack of airplay but then it went quiet. Unlike Marillion who built on Kayleigh it seems that It Bites got a bit lost in the ether. Its a bit similar to IQ although they never had a big hit (apart from bizarrely in South America with Drive On) . Both bands were as you say too 'pop' at this time for prog fans but far too interesting for pop audiences to digest.  
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 00:53
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Genesis during the Peter Gabriel era(and just before Steve left). They should have been just as big as Yes or ELP but in the US at least they weren't. 

Hi,

By that time, the US market in the FM radio was already starting to wind down, and it became about songs, not the longer pieces of music ... and the only great example I had, was TLLDOB, when it came out ... on that evening, Guy Guden went on the air and played both albums back to back, and got such an incredible audience attention and reaction that he did it again a bit later! The rest of the station? They couldn't figure out which song to play because there wasn't a "hit" defined for them!

Laugh you doggies!

That makes no sense. If you use that logic to apply to Genesis then it would have to apply to Yes and ELP also and those two were big. Genesis were doing pretty much the same thing Yes and ELP were doing and in in a lot cases were more song oriented than Yes or ELP. So the fact that Yes and ELP got big and not  Genesis just tells me that they were doing something wrong in the marketing department or were on the wrong label and imo had nothing to do with the music itself unless you want to say that PG's voice or appearance(ie the stage costumes)were too weird or quirky for the american public but even that is probably pure bs.

Yes and ELP were 'Arena bands' with an equally big sound to go with it so I think that translated better. Also Lucky Man and Roundabout were probbaly played quite a bit on radio in the states. They had a pop side which Genesis didn't at that time  Genesis only started to embrace all this after Gabriel left although ironically PG also got very good at it in the eighties!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 01:27
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I think that Giles and McDonald could have been bigger if they put more effort into their eponymous debut album. A strong vocalist and/or guitarist could have done them wonders.
I donīt think there is nothing wrong with that great album. Both singing really great way and there really are too many "guitar"-albums from that period. I think they just left in the shadow of KC (really donīt believe record company promoted that album much), also that was a year a lots of great albums.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 01:33
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Aren't the Kinks one of the biggest bands of the 60s?? Maybe that's just for Britain.
Kinks career started to go down in the middle of sixties also in UK, their albums didnīt sell well, also they even hadnīt got high charted singes until Lola in 1970.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 02:20
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I've always thought that The Rolling Stones could have become more popular if they had released a few more albums. I just don't think the music-buying public got an idea of who the band really was after only releasing 30 studio albums, 28 live albums and 26 compilation albums.

I've always thought that the Beatles could have been more popular than Jesus had they lived about 2000 years ago, been crucified, sealed in a cave, and then an angelic Brian Epstein appeared before a groupie outside the tomb and told her that she should tell everyone to pre-order tickets for a Beatles Revival concert cause, praise God, they are getting better, better all the time -- so they had better be ready for this, the ultimate come-back concert. The faithful are still waiting, but think the concert is imminent.

Never heard of Beatles or Rolling Stones; are they pre-Canterbury proto prog bands? Wink

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 03:25

I've always thought that the Beatles could have been more popular than Jesus...

Well, if Jesus would have been a better bass player... But he was cool.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 03:37
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

A Alan says it does depend how you define 'successful' but if we're talking bands that deserved to be HUGE commercially, then three spring to mind.

Renaissance and the Enid made near perfect music for a respective run of albums, and both had the components of would could have been a very successful formula. Renaissance had the beautiful voice of Annie Haslam, and the striking piano work of John out. The Enid fused rock with classical in the same way as ELP (but obviously different!), with the occasional ambiance of Floyd.

It Bites had the look, the sound, the musical chops, the melodies, but they were simply too prog for pop, and too pop for prog. They tried to prog people without them knowing, but the music press kept pointing out their prog credentials and steering people away. The only magazine that seemed behind them was, bizarrely the heavy metal mag Kerrang!

The problem with the first two was 'timing' . They started to get a bit of a buzz at the wrong time(punk /new wave) so they were swimming against the tide . It Bites - Calling All Heroes got a stack of airplay but then it went quiet. Unlike Marillion who built on Kayleigh it seems that It Bites got a bit lost in the ether. Its a bit similar to IQ although they never had a big hit (apart from bizarrely in South America with Drive On) . Both bands were as you say too 'pop' at this time for prog fans but far too interesting for pop audiences to digest.  
It Bites are a strange one. "Calling All The Heroes" was a big hit at the time but I never really thought of them as a "prog" band (although musically the song is way more complicated than the average pop song). I can't really put my finger on why they weren't bigger, they were popular amongst my friends.

Edited by chopper - July 24 2020 at 03:38
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 05:17
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I think that Giles and McDonald could have been bigger if they put more effort into their eponymous debut album. A strong vocalist and/or guitarist could have done them wonders.
I donīt think there is nothing wrong with that great album. Both singing really great way and there really are too many "guitar"-albums from that period. I think they just left in the shadow of KC (really donīt believe record company promoted that album much), also that was a year a lots of great albums.
Well, the proof is always in the pudding. It was a flop as far as sells go and is not held high regard, except for the most diehard of the early era KC fans.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 05:21
Not a band, but this excellent one off proggy offering from Gordon Haskell should have been a success, imho. His vocals are a bit thin but distinctive. And John Wetton played all bass on the album as well as adding backing vocals.

Edited by SteveG - July 24 2020 at 05:21
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 05:43
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

It Bites are a strange one. "Calling All The Heroes" was a big hit at the time but I never really thought of them as a "prog" band (although musically the song is way more complicated than the average pop song). I can't really put my finger on why they weren't bigger, they were popular amongst my friends.

They had a string of singles after that, all of which were better than Calling all the Heroes, from a prog perspective, which is probably why they didn't do so well. I expected Kiss like Judas to do well, but it kinda flopped despite good reviews, but Old man and the Angel was absolutely slated by the mainstream music press. The extended album version is their best song IMO, and frankly better than anything I was listening to by neo prog acts at the time. I remember reading an interview with them in my cousins Smash Hits magazine, and Frank Dunnery was saying how much they liked Zeppelin, Genesis and Yes, much to the interviews disbelief and apparent disappointment. Great band, but a bad fit at the time I guess. I've seen them live more than any other band.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 05:57
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Never heard of Beatles or Rolling Stones; are they pre-Canterbury proto prog bands? Wink

Yes, I think one could make that argument.

Some claim that the Beatles are proto-everything: Proto-metal, Proto Heavy Prog, Proto-Indo-Prog Raga Rock, Proto-Prog Folk, Proto-Psychedelic Prog, Proto-Avant Prog, Proto-Symphonic Prog, Proto Crossover and Proto Eclectic Prog, proto-plasm and protozoa.

The Rolling Dung Beetles might be called Heavy Plop.

Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

I've always thought that the Beatles could have been more popular than Jesus...

Well, if Jesus would have been a better bass player... But he was cool.

I really liked that song, thanks. By the way, I'm not Jesus and I don't have the same initials, but I am the man who does stay home to do the dishes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn_w62TPqiM

By the way, for those who may have been living under a non-Rolling stone, John Lennon once told a rock journalist, "We're more popular than Jesus now," which angered many Christians -- I guess they were bigger fans of The Rolling Stones.   

Edited by Logan - July 24 2020 at 06:06
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 06:01

I've always thought that The Rolling Stones could have become more popular if they had released a few more albums. I just don't think the music-buying public got an idea of who the band really was after only releasing 30 studio albums, 28 live albums and 26 compilation albums.

Actually, I think if anything too many albums can dilute a band's career. If you look at Led Zeppelin or the Beatles they were huge but only had a decades worth of material(if that)in them. Even if you look at Queen or Pink Floyd and to some degree also the Doors and The Police their popularity is hinged upon 5 or 6 albums at the most. So ultimately it's about quality over quantity. As for the Stones they are known mainly for their 60's and 70's output. The same is True of the Kinks and the Who. Who really cares much about the 80's material(or later)by these bands? 

I suppose in this day and age sarcasm cannot be deployed without the requisite emoji. Wink 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 06:27
Two of my favorite bands that could have had a different trajectory include Captain Beyond and Flash. 

Both were hampered by mercurial band members, uneven label support and lack of vision.  If Flash had retained a permanent keyboard player, they might have excelled.  Flash bassist Ray Bennett once told me that they were trying to hire Patrick Moraz, but it was not to be. 

However, both bands did leave an impressive catalog.  RIP Peter Banks, Lee Dorman and Rhino Reinhardt.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 06:55
Some have said that Clouds, or in the earlier incarnation, Clouds 1-2-3, could and should have found much greater success. I haven't heard any of the music.

Not Prog nor a band, although Prog Folk related to my mind, but I think that Nick Drake could have found much success in his lifetime had his life not been so short and tragic. It was only after his death that he gained quite a large following (the sad circumstances would play a part in the following to some extent). He was very withdrawn and didn't want to make public appearances, interviews or do live concerts, to promote his music and himself, and withdrew from recording and performing music during the last two years of his life. He died at age 26.

I think that Bobby Beausoleil could have been very successful had things gone differently. He created the soundtrack, I think it brilliant, for Kenneth Anger's short film Lucifer Rising (he had years before that been in the film). He recorded the soundtrack with the "Freedom Orchestra" while in prison for murder (part of the Charlie Manson "Family" saga).
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 07:26
Jade Warrior
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 08:02
If we want to venture into prog-related, the fact that Kings X never broke big is a damn shame. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 09:16

Not Prog nor a band, although Prog Folk related to my mind, but I think that Nick Drake could have found much success in his lifetime had his life not been so short and tragic. It was only after his death that he gained quite a large following (the sad circumstances would play a part in the following to some extent). He was very withdrawn and didn't want to make public appearances, interviews or do live concerts, to promote his music and himself, and withdrew from recording and performing music during the last two years of his life. He died at age 26.

I agree about Nick Drake. How eminently tragic that it took a Volkswagen commercial over 25 years after his death to bring him to prominence. Prior to that, his music was strictly underground, passed from person to person. I think you mentioned the sadly prophetic song "Fruit Tree" in another thread. I can't think of a more apt epitaph for Drake.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>