Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rank and rate 4 classic Yes abums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 15:08
I'm with the other Doug here....do we really need another best of Yes poll...?
And I can't believe Micky went along with this...where is the normal Mickster outrage at such redundancy?
What has happened to this place..?

Oh..these are my rankings btw,,,,,Wink

1.CTTE 9.5
2.Yes Album 9
3.Fragile  9
4.Relayer 8.5

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 15:26
This place died a long time ago........

#1 Fragile = 10
#2 Yes Album = 8.5
#3 CTTE = 8.01 Big smile
#4 Relayer = 7.5
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 17:37
TYA  8/10     loses some points for clap, and a venture plus I admit I've seen all good people is repetitious at the end although I like it anyway

Fragile 9/10 The solo parts to take it down a bit but still a fun album ironically in part because of the solo bits.

CTTE  10/10 I might personally prefer relayer but this is the text book example of prog. Sorry Floyd. 

Relayer  9/10 Their most adventurous and challenging album.

I'm not sure why tales was omitted but if it wasn't I would rate it 7 or 8 out of ten.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 18:52
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

#1 Fragile = 10
#2 Yes Album = 8.5
#3 CTTE = 8.01 Big smile
#4 Relayer = 7.5

'ere, we dinosaurs ain’t dead yet mate! Actually PA is growing (just very very slowly ... think geologic time scale)

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 18:56
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

#1 Fragile = 10
#2 Yes Album = 8.5
#3 CTTE = 8.01 Big smile
#4 Relayer = 7.5

'ere, we dinosaurs ain’t dead yet mate! Actually PA is growing (just very very slowly ... think geologic time scale)

Yeah, very very, slowly. Maybe about the same rate Yes's popularity is growing and that's only because Rush fans and Pink Floyd fans are looking for similar bands. Wink I will say every time I go to the record department of the local book store some of the Yes records are no longer there which means someone is buying them. So that's a good thing. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 19 2020 at 21:14
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 19:16
Yes! And, we’re growing by listening to solid recommendations.
It’s so nice having everything in one place. I wish we had this when we were younger.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 21:40
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

#1 Fragile = 10
#2 Yes Album = 8.5
#3 CTTE = 8.01 Big smile
#4 Relayer = 7.5

I love your enthusiasm LOL....but I answered the question that the SITE (this place) is dead, Progressive rock has been dead for eons. Prog rock and Prog Related still is doing ok....Thanks to Porcupine Tree, Riverside, The Pineapple Thief....
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 08:59

1. Close To The Edge = 10
2. Fragile = 9½
3. Relayer = 9
4. The Yes Album = 8

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 10:46
CTTE 10/10
TYA 10/10
Fragile 8/10
Relayer 6/10

Sorry TFTO & Relayer are two albums I could never fully get in to 
although they do have some great moments.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 13:55
The Yes Album
Close To The Edge
Fragile
Relayer
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 14:23
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if people on Progarchives know there’s prog bands besides yes, Genesis, KC, Rush and Pink Floyd. I feel like this identical topic gets posted every couple days just worded slightly differently. Most people are going to rate them highly, I can only rate Yes albums or list my top 5 Yes songs so many times before it gets boring and I want to explore new or lesser known progressive music. I wish there was more discussion about lesser known or newer prog, even non prog music like Hip Hop/Alternative/Indie, that’s where a lot of progressive stuff has happened in the last 20 years. Just gotta keep an open mind to new things.

Rather than complaining in this topic, why not make a topic that interests you more and invite that conversation?
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 14:35
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if people on Progarchives know there’s prog bands besides yes, Genesis, KC, Rush and Pink Floyd. I feel like this identical topic gets posted every couple days just worded slightly differently. Most people are going to rate them highly, I can only rate Yes albums or list my top 5 Yes songs so many times before it gets boring and I want to explore new or lesser known progressive music. I wish there was more discussion about lesser known or newer prog, even non prog music like Hip Hop/Alternative/Indie, that’s where a lot of progressive stuff has happened in the last 20 years. Just gotta keep an open mind to new things.

People not keeping an open mind is not the problem. The problem is that interest in new or lesser known music is more diverse and therefore less likely to find common ground among forum participants. You may have your list of new or lesser known artists that nobody else seems interested in, but I'm sure that other people have their lists of new or lesser known artists that you're not interested in.

Both of these opinions I agree with. But I would rather try and find 'common ground' and discuss newer music than the same artists repeatedly. What can we do to make it happen?
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 14:50
After I mentioned the issue in the Collab Zone, Scott (Rushfan) started some very interesting polls that include mostly lesser-known artists in a wide range of subgenres. I've been listening to the tracks he posted in these polls, and have found quite a few things to my taste. People seem to be responding well so far. Let's keep our fingers crossedSmile!

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 16:59
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

People not keeping an open mind is not the problem. The problem is that interest in new or lesser known music is more diverse and therefore less likely to find common ground among forum participants. You may have your list of new or lesser known artists that nobody else seems interested in, but I'm sure that other people have their lists of new or lesser known artists that you're not interested in.

Both of these opinions I agree with. But I would rather try and find 'common ground' and discuss newer music than the same artists repeatedly. What can we do to make it happen?

Bring up the discussions and bands you might have interest in. PA in general has introduced me to many many "new" artists, although today they may not be considered new, and a lot of them have not issued anything new in years some actually were one album wonders. 
I have so much music in my collection that I have little time it seems for new music, it can be work to listen to new stuff and not sure I have the patience at the moment.
I have been really into jazz lately so that has steered me away from the rock genre, some of that very old music is new to me and its awesome!
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 17:54
^Have started numerous threads about new bands. Have one going now. Little to no response. Love the old stuff also. We agree on Lee Morgan.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - July 20 2020 at 17:55
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 21:57
1. Close to the Edge - 10/10
2. Fragile - 9/10
3. The Yes Album -  9/10
4. Relayer - 7/10
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 09:12
1. Relayer 10/10
2. CTTE 10/10
3. Fragile 9.5/10
4. TYA 8.5/10
5. TfTO 7/10
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 19:57
CttE: 10 / 10.
Fragile: 10 / 10.
Relayer: 8 / 10.
The Yes Album: 4 / 10.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 00:08
CTTE 10/10
Fragile 9/10
Relayer 8/10
TYA 7/10
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 00:31
CTTE 9.9
R 8.2
F 8.0
TYA 7.5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>