Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quintessence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quintessence
    Posted: July 19 2020 at 13:53
Thinking about proto -Prog bands, was wondering about  Quintessence , Am only really familiar with album 'In Blissful Company' from 1969. Very influenced by Psychedelia , Jazz, Eastern mysticism, played quite long tracks. 'In Blissful Company' opens with a song about giants . Apparently they played the first two Glastonbury Fayres.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 14:39
I love the Quintessence "In Blissful Company" album and I also have their "Dive Deep" and "Indweller" albums on CD. I always feel in the mood for a hot spicy curry after listening to a Quintessence album. They're the very essence of Indian-influenced Psych-Folk. Smile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 15:20
Used to have the first 2 on original vinyl...sadly I traded them off for something else.....wish I had them back.
Both decent psych folk albums.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 07:32
I'm not a huge fan of Quintessence, but I love Raja Ram's work in the band Shpongle with Simon Posford. The album Tales of the Inexpressible is a masterpiece, IMO.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 07:45
I love to Dive Deep into this classic Quintessence album from 1970.....

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 20 2020 at 07:46
Droxford View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 14:36
I am just listening to this at the moment Paul . Many thanks for the recommendation. It is rather good. 
I really like the way the band seem to  treat their music as some sort of vehicle to change the spiritual consciousness of the listener. 
I don't think that any band or artist would attempt such an undertaking now. 
[QUOTE=Psychedelic Paul] I love to Dive Deep into this classic Quintessence album from 1970.....

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 15:20
Originally posted by Droxford Droxford wrote:

I am just listening to this at the moment Paul . Many thanks for the recommendation. It is rather good. 
I really like the way the band seem to  treat their music as some sort of vehicle to change the spiritual consciousness of the listener. 
I don't think that any band or artist would attempt such an undertaking now. 
[QUOTE=Psychedelic Paul] I love to Dive Deep into this classic Quintessence album from 1970.....

I'm glad you're enjoying Diving Deep into the third Quintessence album. If you're in the mood for some Blissful Company, you might enjoy their debut album too:- http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2287282
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 16:07
I like Quintessence's In Blissful Company a lot. It's been one of my favourite albums of the 60s.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 06:10
If you like the sound of Quintessence, then I think you'll like this album too.....

Magic Carpet - Magic Carpet (1972)

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 06:23
^ Magic Carpet certainly is an album much loved by me. Good call.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 06:29
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Thanks Logan. Thumbs Up I love the sound of Alisha Sufit's sweet angelic voice on the album. Heart
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 06:31
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Thanks Logan. Thumbs Up I love the sound of Alisha Sufit's sweet angelic voice on the album. Heart

Very much agreed.
Droxford View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 13:53
Just playing the 'Magic Carpet' album now. About halfway through , thank you very much indeed for sharing this. 
Noted that it is dated 1972, intrigued , I thought that the sitar being used in rock music had started to fade by then. Tend to associate the sitar with the Beatles, Stones and Traffic  around 1967, and Incredible String Band from 1967-1967. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 03:17
There were also a couple of later offshoots of Quintessence you might be interested in.....

Kala's Quintessence - Thirsty Generation (1973)

Shiva's Quintessence - Only Love Can Save Us

Droxford View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 13:00
Thanks again Psychedelic Paul for the information about Magic Carpet, have been playing the album again.. 
Have found an interview with Alisha Sufi. It's strange to think that less than 1,000 copies of the first Magic Carpet album were pressed and they didn't sell. 
It seems that tastes were very fast moving in those days and by 1972 Magic Carpet were simply out of time. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 13:21
^ I love Magic Carpet's album too and I also wrote a hot and spicy review for the album towards the end of last year:- http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2288034
They also had a follow-up album in 1996 titled "Once Moor - Magic Carpet II", which is even harder to get hold of than the original album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 06:51
A couple of Quintessence compilation albums I just found on YouTube today. Smile

Raja Ram Anthology

Jams (1969-1971)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 06 2020 at 06:51
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 11:33

Very much agreed.

Count me in too!Thumbs Up
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 12:36
^ We can all Dive Deep into the spiritual Indweller music of Quintessence and be In Blissful Company together, my-Self included. Smile
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 23:40

^ We can all Dive Deep into the spiritual Indweller music of Quintessence and be In Blissful Company together, my-Self included. Smile

I totally agree with you
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>