Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rainbow Rising: Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rainbow Rising: Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
    Posted: September 27 2020 at 08:45
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Boboulo Boboulo wrote:

I always loved their "Stargazer" the song. That one is really great "prog metal before prog metal" stuff. For other their songs I couldn't care less.

"Stargazer" is my favourite Rainbow song too. Thumbs Up
Don't get me wrong, I don't think their other songs are bad, but since I heard such a step forward as "Stargazer" was, those other songs just weren't interesting to me.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 05:49
Originally posted by Boboulo Boboulo wrote:

I always loved their "Stargazer" the song. That one is really great "prog metal before prog metal" stuff. For other their songs I couldn't care less.

"Stargazer" is my favourite Rainbow song too. Thumbs Up
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 05:37
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 08:56
Way back in the olden days when Ritchie Blackmore realized he had made a mistake getting rid of Glover and Gillan from Purple and spent some Rainbow time trying to lure them back. Glover was back and Gillan refused to join Rainbow.

Now - was Perfect St Rangers Rainbow with Gillan? Bent Out Of Shape might be the worst Rainbow album with Blackmore keeping his best ideas for the upcoming Purple reunion. A notable style change and quite a unique album in that best Led Zeppelin-albums-Led Zeppelin-never-made type of style, such as Long Live R and R.

And Slaves And Masters, a hidden Rainbow album with a Purple label?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2020 at 02:15
I remember in one particularly memorable Rainbow concert - or maybe it was Deep Purple - when the singer rudely intruded onto Ritchie Blackmore's sacrosanct part of the stage. That was NOT a good idea. Ritchie looked like he wanted to beat the singer over the head with his guitar. If looks could kill..... Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 16 2020 at 02:17
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2020 at 00:53
Funny how tastes change. Used to not enjoy the Turner vox. Weren't we spoiled? With the 5 CD A Light In The Black set I've a new found appreciation for him. Maybe it's all the grunge, hair and nu metal ... faux metal really, talk about rust never sleeping.

Rainbow have a clarity and power I missed when the vocalists changed. Turner, excellent voice and sings terrific. Blackmore does not blow him out of the studio which probably would have happened had JLT not been such a good singer. Thankfully this was realized (by me) before the myriad of war and pestilence gets us all... very difficult to cure.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 23:00
RAINBOW - Live Between the Eyes - San Antonio 1982

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 14:33
RAINBOW - Stranger in Us All (1995) - Side Two

6. Too Late for Tears

7. Black Masquerade

8. Silence

9. Hall of the Mountain King

10. Still I'm Sad

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 14:25
RAINBOW - Stranger in Us All (1995) - Side One
1. Wolf to the Moon

2. Cold Hearted Woman

3. Hunting Humans

4. Stand and Fight

5. Ariel

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 00:34
RAINBOW - Bent Out of Shape (1983) - Side Two

6. Desperate Heart

7. Street of Dreams

8. Drinking with the Devil

9. Snowman

10. Make Your Move

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 00:24
RAINBOW - Bent Out of Shape (1983) - Side One

1. Stranded

2. Can't Let You Go

3. Fool for the Night

4. Fire Dance

5. Anybody There

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 16:19
RAINBOW - Straight Between the Eyes (1982) - Side Two

6. Power

7. Miss Mistreated

8. Rock Fever

9. Eyes of Fire

Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 09:24

Long Live Rock & Roll" (1977)  
4. Gates of Babylon

Such an awesome song. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 22:57
RAINBOW - Straight Between the Eyes (1982) - Side One

1, Death Alley Driver

2. Stone Cold

3. Bring on the Night (Dream Chaser)

4. Tite Squeeze

5. Tearin' Out My Heart

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 30 2020 at 16:17
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 00:34
Four classic songs from Rainbow's "Difficult to Cure" (1981) album. The first of three Rainbow albums to feature Joe Lynn Turner on vocals.

1. I Surrender

2. Spotlight Kid

3. Can't Happen Here

4. Difficult to Cure

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 11:26
Down to Earth (1977)

Side Two

5. Since You've Been Gone

6. Love's No Friend

7. Danger Zone

8. Lost in Hollywood

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 27 2020 at 12:18
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 06:30
^ Haa! That's funny, because I seem to recall the Aussie support-act Rose Tattoo were pretty awful on the Rainbow tour too. They were about as appealing to me as the thought of having a rose tattoo. Smile

Down to Earth (1979), featuring Graham Bonnet on vocals.

1. All Night Long

2. Eyes of the World

3. No Time to Lose

4. Makin' Love

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 27 2020 at 12:19
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 06:23

Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

^ I found it was "Difficult to Cure" tour, thus the singer was Joe Lynn Turner.

It's very strange to miss a keyboard player because keyboards were always a big part of Rainbow sound.
This was the Rainbow line-up for the Difficult to Cure tour when I saw them play at Granby Halls, Lecicester in 1981:-

That's the line-up I saw (I think, it was a very long time ago), I also seem to remember that Rose Tattoo were pretty awful.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - July 27 2020 at 06:24
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 06:19
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

^ I found it was "Difficult to Cure" tour, thus the singer was Joe Lynn Turner.

It's very strange to miss a keyboard player because keyboards were always a big part of Rainbow sound.
This was the Rainbow line-up for the Difficult to Cure tour when I saw them play at Granby Halls, Lecicester in 1981:-

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 06:07
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I always liked Rainbow, but grew to really appreciate them after I discovered prog rock. Before then, they were little too light for me! These days I;d rather listen to Rainbow than Purple.

Best album is Rising, although LLRNR and the debut are excellent albums. They were at their best with Dio, for sure, but I did like Down to Earth, and think Eyes of the World is not far behind Stargazer as one of their best songs. The Joe Lynn Turner phase was relatively weak IMO.

I think most fans would agree that the classic Rainbow Rising album with the much-missed Ronnie James Dio is THE best Rainbow album, although I also like the later Rainbow albums too with Graham Bonnett and then Joe Lynn Turner on vocals. The only Rainbow album I still haven't quite got around to listening to is the last album, "Stranger in Us All" (1995), although I hope to finally get around to listening to the album (with the virtually unknown Doogie White on vocals), now I've posted this Rainbow tribute thread. Smile

Long Live Rock & Roll (1977)

Side Two

5. Kill the King

6. The Shed (Subtle)

7. Sensitive to Light

8. Rainbow Eyes

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 27 2020 at 12:15
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>