Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rainbow Rising: Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rainbow Rising: Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
    Posted: July 19 2020 at 15:25
LONG LIVE ROCK 'n' ROLL because it's time for some DOWN TO EARTH Hard Rock from RITCHIE BLACKMORE'S RAINBOW. Ritchie Blackmore (born 1945) - the legendary "Man in Black" - quickly became a RISING star of the guitar when he joined Deep Purple way back in 1968. Who can forget the now infamous California Jam episode in 1974 when he nearly hit the poor cameraman STRAIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES in a fit of anger, and his guitar ended up being BENT OUT OF SHAPE after being smashed against the amps ON STAGE. Ritchie Blackmore's famously fiery temper may have been DIFFICULT TO CURE, but there's a STRANGER IN US ALL and there's an altogether gentler side to his nature. Who would have guessed Ritchie Blackmore would mellow out in his later years by going on to form the Folk-Rock band Blackmore's Night in 1997 with his American wife Candice Night.

All albums in DEEP PURPLE HIGHLIGHTS by Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow

The seven levels of ascension to guitar mastery:-

1. Beginner
2. Advanced
3, Professional
4. Expert
5. Legend
6. Guitar God
7. RITCHIE BLACKMORE  Star Star Star Star Star

RAINBOW ALBUMS

Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow (1975)
Rainbow Rising (1976)
On Stage (1977)
Long Live Rock 'n' Roll (1978)
Down to Earth (1979)
Difficult to Cure (1981)
Straight Between the Eyes (1982)
Bent Out of Shape (1983)
Stranger in Us All (1995)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 20 2023 at 16:23
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 16:11
Love all the Dio albums, and like the one with Graham Bonnet (Down to Earth). Never managed to get into the later albums - mostly because I cannot stand Joe Lynn Turner's vocals. I haven't heard the very last one, though I believe it was recorded with a different vocalist.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 16:41
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Love all the Dio albums, and like the one with Graham Bonnet (Down to Earth). Never managed to get into the later albums - mostly because I cannot stand Joe Lynn Turner's vocals. I haven't heard the very last one, though I believe it was recorded with a different vocalist.
Same here. The last Rainbow album is the only one I haven't heard yet, and I'm not sure who the vocalist was on that album either. I do like Joe Lynn Turner's vocals though, and Ronnie James Dio too, obviously. Smile
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 17:50
Rising is his best, and this tune ranks up their with the pantheon of Deep Purple hard rockers....

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 00:28
^ I like the Rainbow Rising album best of all too. Thumbs Up
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 03:07
Lost interest in them after Ronnie left, Rising is the best by a mile with the debut and LLRNR about equal. I don't really listen to the live album much now.
I saw them play at the Rainbow once!

Edited by chopper - July 20 2020 at 03:36
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 03:17
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Lost interest in them after Ronnie left, Rising is the bet by a mile with the debut and LLRNR about equal. I don't really listen to the live album much now.
I saw them play at the Rainbow once!

I saw Rainbow Live at Granby Halls in Leicester in the early 1980's where they were supported by Rose Tattoo. I remember buying a Rainbow T-shirt at the venue which fell to pieces within a month after going through the washing machine. Ouch

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 20 2020 at 03:48
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 03:39
The problem with Rainbow was it was pretty much the Richie and Ronnie show. Cozy Powell was a good enough drummer to get a look in but the bass and keyboards were always mixed down. When I saw them at the Rainbow the keyboard player was behind a pillar so you couldn't see or hear him.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 03:51
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

The problem with Rainbow was it was pretty much the Richie and Ronnie show. Cozy Powell was a good enough drummer to get a look in but the bass and keyboards were always mixed down. When I saw them at the Rainbow the keyboard player was behind a pillar so you couldn't see or hear him.

Maybe the keyboard player was a little bit shy and didn't want to come out from behind the pillar. I wasn't even aware Rainbow had a keyboard player when I saw them Live in Leicester. Smile
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 14:01
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I wasn't even aware Rainbow had a keyboard player when I saw them Live in Leicester. Smile 

Have you tried to listen to the albums? Some keyboard sounds are clearly heard on them. LOL
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 14:11
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I wasn't even aware Rainbow had a keyboard player when I saw them Live in Leicester. Smile 

Have you tried to listen to the albums? Some keyboard sounds are clearly heard on them. LOL
Yes, I knew Rainbow featured keyboard players, but I couldn't remember seeing a keyboard player at the Leicester concert, mainly because it's around 40 years ago since I went to see them in Leicester. I can't remember who the Rainbow singer at the concert was either, but I know it wasn't Ronnie James Dio. I definitely would have remembered Dio if he'd been there. Smile
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 15:57
^ I found it was "Difficult to Cure" tour, thus the singer was Joe Lynn Turner.

It's very strange to miss a keyboard player because keyboards were always a big part of Rainbow sound.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 16:05
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

^ I found it was "Difficult to Cure" tour, thus the singer was Joe Lynn Turner.

It's very strange to miss a keyboard player because keyboards were always a big part of Rainbow sound.
Maybe the Rainbow keyboard player was hiding behind a pillar at the Leicester concert, just like Chopper mentioned earlier. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 20 2020 at 17:34
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 17:03
Tony Carey and his mini-moog. Who could miss that ??
Tarot Woman all the way !!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 18:17
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Tony Carey and his mini-moog. Who could miss that ??
Tarot Woman all the way !!
I guess it must have been either Tony Carey or the soundalike Don Airey on keyboards at the Leicester concert. Smile
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 20:35
First live band I ever saw on the Difficult To Cure tour in Leeds Queens Hall, excellent gig. Album wise Rising is outstanding & I like LLRNR & the debut a lot. I jumped off when Ronnie left.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 01:38
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I just discovered that Doogie White (who?) was the vocalist on the final "Stranger in Us All" album.
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cactus Choir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 03:11
My three favourite Rainbow albums are Rising, Long Live Rock and Roll and Down to Earth which are all excellent and, maybe not coincidentally, feature the great Cozy Powell. His drumming really powered the band along I think and it was a big loss when he left. Joe Lynn Turner was okay but his vocals were not as distinctive as Dio or Graham Bonnet. They also seemed to get more AOR oriented, probably encouraged by the hit singles from Down To Earth.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 04:56
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

My three favourite Rainbow albums are Rising, Long Live Rock and Roll and Down to Earth which are all excellent and, maybe not coincidentally, feature the great Cozy Powell. His drumming really powered the band along I think and it was a big loss when he left. Joe Lynn Turner was okay but his vocals were not as distinctive as Dio or Graham Bonnet. They also seemed to get more AOR oriented, probably encouraged by the hit singles from Down To Earth.

That's an amazing coincidence because they happen to be my favourite three Rainbow albums too. I also agree with everything else you mentioned. Thumbs Up
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 05:37
Rainbow most definitely had a keyboard player but he was no Jon Lord.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>