Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lonely Robot fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lonely Robot fans
    Posted: July 20 2020 at 08:25
Having listened to Feelings are Good, John Mitchell's (Lonely Robot) newest release multiple times, I think it's great. He keeps improving at everything he does. Can't say the same about all artists. Sure some of his songs sound samey, but I can overlook that when the music is so engaging. 

So what do you think of Lonely Robot? One of the most overlooked bands on PA?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 08:35
Good band.  I have enjoyed his first three albums.  I've not heard the new one yet though.
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 12:15
John Mitchell has put out one of my favourite albums of each year since 2015.

Please Come Home (15)
Falling Satellites (Frost*, 16)
The Big Dream (17)
Radio Voltaire (Kino, 18)
Under Stars (19)

That is an exceptional track record. I haven't got Feelings Are Good yet, but the track record inspires confidence.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 12:30
^The new album was great on first listen. Keeps getting better each time through. I know he is a killer guitarist, but this release shows how good his keyboard and bass skills are. And John's recording and mixing of this album is masterful. Is there nothing he can't do?

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 12:56
John Mitchell is usually pretty good at whatever he does. Only played this album once so far but it seems pretty good so will be giving it a few more plays.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 15:20
Dampener alert !! I bought Please Come Home upon release and was unimpressed. Great guest-list though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 15:38
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Dampener alert !! I bought Please Come Home upon release and was unimpressed. Great guest-list though.
Have you heard the new one? Don't dampen until you listen.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 16:27
Well, I listened to it, after I read the rave reviews on the Dutch Progressive Rock Pages. I was very disappointed. We've heard all this before. Unoriginal melodies and songwriting IMHO. I am not a fan of his singing either (which is subjective, of course) and find the playing really uninspired, clinic. We have 13 in a dozen of this.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 16:40
^Sorry it's not for you. What new music do you recommend?
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 16:51
From what I understand Lonely Robot was supposed to be a concept band with a series of three concept albums making it a trilogy. Trilogy means three so I'm not sure why there is a fourth one. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 16:53
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

From what I understand Lonely Robot was supposed to be a concept band with a series of three concept albums making it a trilogy. Trilogy means three so I'm not sure why there is a fourth one. 
Well, four is better than three. Have you heard it?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 16:56
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Have you heard the new one? Don't dampen until you listen.
I haven’t heard sny since Please Come Home.
I love The Mute Gods though.

Edited by Tom Ozric - July 20 2020 at 16:56
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 17:17

I haven’t heard sny since Please Come Home. I love The Mute Gods though.
Cool. John is not in that band.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2020 at 18:02
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Maybe they did not go to skool and caint do good arifmatic?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 02:41

I haven’t heard sny since Please Come Home. I love The Mute Gods though.
Cool. John is not in that band.
I know. Nick Beggs is
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2020 at 03:08

^Sorry it's not for you. What new music do you recommend?

Don't be sorry, we all have our preferences. Smile
Re recent music, I would recommend Lazuli. Or Sonar, e.g.

Edited by suitkees - July 21 2020 at 03:09

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 00:21
John Mitchell is one of the best guitarists in prog and a massively underrated vocalist . For me his best moment will always be the It Bites - Tall Ships album especially The Wind That Shakes the Barley. The latest album is extremely 'MEH' compared to his other work. Its like ELP - Works Volume II . Just putting an album out of the sake of it although it's not terrible. The recent releases by Magenta , IO Earth , Kansas and Glass Hammer are considerably better imo.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 08:41
I originally thought John Mitchell was Joni Mitchell.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 11:09
Ok i can without any conviction that i haven`t heard any of John Mitchell`s work...So which album/albums would you say was a good place to start 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 11:10
The new one
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>