Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

YES - 90125 (1983)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 11:50
I do find Heaven and Earth rather disappointing. Perhaps if it had Anderson's more beautiful and powerful vocals, as well as some better production and mixing (perhaps if Trevor Horn had been used again), I could have been more perceptive of the beautiful meditative nature you enjoy.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 12:25
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I do find Heaven and Earth rather disappointing. Perhaps if it had Anderson's more beautiful and powerful vocals, as well as some better production and mixing (perhaps if Trevor Horn had been used again), I could have been more perceptive of the beautiful meditative nature you enjoy.

I'll try and listen to the Heaven & Earth album for the first time with an open mind and open ears. Smile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 12:59
It's a very good pop rock album (with some prog elements). Nothing more and nothing less.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 13:04
90125 has little to do with classic Yes (from The Yes Album to Going for the One). Nevertheless it is a good album, which I prefer over Tormato and Drama. I have never listened to any of their albums after this one.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 13:16
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

90125 has little to do with classic Yes (from The Yes Album to Going for the One). Nevertheless it is a good album, which I prefer over Tormato and Drama. I have never listened to any of their albums after this one.
I like 90125 more than the Drama and Tormato albums too, but I like The Ladder album best of all the post 1970's Yes albums. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 13:26
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Well, depending on what your taste is maybe you should consider checking out some of them. If classic Yes is your thing and you don't typically like pop elements in prog then at least listen to the Keys to Ascension albums which feature live tracks as well as studio tracks that are quite reminiscent of 70's prog Yes.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 22 2020 at 13:28
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 13:47
I was going to make Big Generator (1987) my next featured Yes album, seeing as it's the next album in chronological sequence, but after reading the comments on this thread, I'm intrigued now to hear the Heaven & Earth (2014) album for the first time, so I've decided to make the final Yes album my next featured album instead. Smile
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 15:12
I like "Leave It" and "Our Song", and "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" has a place in my heart despite its cheesiness. There's also a fair number of moments on the album that I can't stand (TWO HEARTS ARE BETTER THAN OOOOONE) but personally I usually consider 90125 the final at-least-sort-of-good Yes album: even after the crappy 80s production went away it just feels to me like they never really found their spark again.

Edited by Mirakaze - July 22 2020 at 15:12
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 15:32
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

I like "Leave It" and "Our Song", and "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" has a place in my heart despite its cheesiness. There's also a fair number of moments on the album that I can't stand (TWO HEARTS ARE BETTER THAN OOOOONE) but personally I usually consider 90125 the final at-least-sort-of-good Yes album: even after the crappy 80s production went away it just feels to me like they never really found their spark again.
Yes, "Leave It" is a good song and the accompanying official video with its visual trickery may have been very clever back in 1983, but it looks dreadful viewed by today's standards. Geek

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 15:33
Yes - Live in Germany 1984 - 90125 Tour

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 16:14
It was the 9012 Live video that got me into Yes back in the mid-80’s.. Squire with his weird basses and costume were intriguing, and that version of Starship Trooper knocked my socks off. Better than Genesis around this period tbh.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 16:56
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

It was the 9012 Live video that got me into Yes back in the mid-80’s.. Squire with his weird basses and costume were intriguing, and that version of Starship Trooper knocked my socks off. Better than Genesis around this period tbh.

Yes, that 90125 Live video really takes me back to the glamorous 1980's New Romantic movement of flamboyant fashions, bright glossy lipstick and heavy mascara, and that was just the men! Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 20:25
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Kind of the same for me except I didn't see the video until a few years later I think. 90125 was the first album I bought by them although I didn't first see them until the Big Generator tour. It was a slow progression for me though but ultimately 90125 led me to more Yes which led me to more prog which eventually led me to this crazy website. LOL

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 22 2020 at 20:26
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2020 at 21:05
I think it is a fantastic album with some really great songs. Chris Squire is huge on that album, I love it his bass lines just fill my room with nice pressure....All in great thanks to the mastering genius of Bob Ludwig, my copy is "RL Masterdisk" stamped in the deadwax.

Easily a 4/5 for me.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 01:46
Now I have a suspicion that you Paul hasnīt even heard Big Generator, or if has then just one time and then agreed that common opinion itīs rubbish. Just because you, or no-one else havenīt put any comments to my opinion about BG or explained whatīs so bad in that album. But, I think itīs good idea not to make BG thread if itīs going to be "letīs hate this album collectively".
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 02:02
You're right, Mortte. I was actually waiting a BG-thread. For me, a song like Shoot High Aim Low easily tops most of the songs on 90125, but it is the only (very) good song on Side A. On side B Final Eyes and I'm Running are quite pleasurable.
All the other songs, I find them at best average, and I have a problem with the drumming (and the sound quality of it); it really doesn't get me. Made me think of a Duracell TV-ad where toy rabbits are drumming and the duracell ones last the longest - that plastic sound...

90125 is a much more consistent high quality album. But, as always, this is about personal appreciation: yours is as valid as mine!

Edited by suitkees - July 23 2020 at 02:03

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 02:11
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Now I have a suspicion that you Paul hasnīt even heard Big Generator, or if has then just one time and then agreed that common opinion itīs rubbish. Just because you, or no-one else havenīt put any comments to my opinion about BG or explained whatīs so bad in that album. But, I think itīs good idea not to make BG thread if itīs going to be "letīs hate this album collectively".

Yes, I have the Big Generator album as part of a 5-CD box set, but it still remains my least favourite Yes album, although I haven't heard the Open Your Eyes album yet, so that may all change. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 02:19
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

I was actually waiting a BG-thread....

Yes, I will have a Big Generator album thread coming up eventually, just as soon as I've written the long Yes albums intro for it, although I'll probably feature their final Heaven & Earth (2014) album beforehand, as I'm eager to give the album a listen for the first time so I can judge it for myself, having read the mixed bag of positive and negative comments about the album. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 23 2020 at 02:21
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 04:20
90125 is a brilliant Yes album and a genuine progression in style. Better than anything Genesis made post Duke, anything Floyd produced post The Wall and anything Tull made post Broadsword.

As for the two Yes albums that preceded it, it's much better than Tormato and at least on a par with Drama.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 04:26
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

90125 is a brilliant Yes album and a genuine progression in style. Better than anything Genesis made post Duke, anything Floyd produced post The Wall and anything Tull made post Broadsword.

As for the two Yes albums that preceded it, it's much better than Tormato and at least on a par with Drama.
90125 is also much better than the album that came after it too. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>