Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Covid-19 Invitational Tournament-Heavy Hitters #1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Covid-19 Invitational Tournament-Heavy Hitters #1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which song should move on to the next round?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [46.15%]
1 [3.85%]
8 [30.77%]
2 [7.69%]
3 [11.54%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 13:03
By the way, can anybody tell me what "permanating" is?  Sounds like getting your hair done while you are dining.  

Edited by rushfan4 - July 23 2020 at 13:04
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 13:56
Not me, but it rhymes to "celebrating". Quite silly lyrics, btw (but that has never stopped a song from becoming a hit...).

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 20:35
I think I'll follow along with this one, Scott.

That Phideaux track sounds fresh and yet reminds me of Chupacabras.  The instrumental section is the highlight.

I've never cared much for Muse.  This doesn't move the needle.

The Steven Wilson song was not anything that I was expecting, but that is a thing that should be on XM / FM radio no doubt.  It's very ELO-esque.  An unexpected treat.

I like Neal Morse, but there's some occasional artificial grittiness he adds into his vocals that doesn't suit him.  This song has that, and while I don't mind the lightheartedness, there are too many other good "pop" Morse tracks that make me biased against this one for sure.

The musical arrangement of The Alan Parsons Project piece is engaging, but the gimmick of singing one note (and even cheating in that regard) isn't.  Like the Wilson track, I think of ELO here musically.  Catchy songs should be fun to sing though.  This one just isn't.

My vote goes to Steven Wilson.   I was not expecting that.

Edited by Epignosis - July 23 2020 at 22:31
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 21:22
Nice of you to join us Rob.  I am glad you enjoyed the Steven Wilson song. Thumbs Up
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 21:39
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Nice of you to join us Rob.  I am glad you enjoyed the Steven Wilson song. Thumbs Up
Totally agree, we need more Rob's around here Clap. Scott you should have put up one of his songs from Refulgence Thumbs Up

For this poll I picked Steven Wilson, till I saw it live it was just an ok song on the album. A higher appreciation for it now, it is pretty tough to write and perform a song like that.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 22:30
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Totally agree, we need more Rob's around here Clap. Scott you should have put up one of his songs from Refulgence Thumbs Up

For this poll I picked Steven Wilson, till I saw it live it was just an ok song on the album. A higher appreciation for it now, it is pretty tough to write and perform a song like that.

Refulgence came out in 2011.  Not eligible.  Tongue
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 22:47
Love the song "Manchester" but like the "Steven Wilson Song" a little moreLOL  
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 07:14
Phideaux easily. I like Parsons as well. The Muse song is rather crappy than catchy.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 11:38
My take on the songs:

Phideaux:  “We Only Have Eyes For You” Not familiar with much material by him, did some early investigating when I first started exploring the prog scene in depth (currently, that is).  Didn’t catch me right away, and then I heard something off of “Chupacabras,” and I got it!  Well crafted song, this, and interesting video, very psych-leaning.

MUSE: “Algorithm” Definitely another well crafted song here.  A lot of building tension in the song.  Great vocalist, I am not very familiar with them and may check out further.

Steven Wilson: “Permanating” He’s got such a lot of work available, of course I’m familiar with him, but don’t know everything by a long shot.  This one, I don’t like so much, but love the Bollywood thing going on in the video.  It’s too poppy (in this style of pop, anyway) for my taste.

Neal Morse:  “Manchester By The Sea” Also not a big fan of Neal Morse, seems like most people either like him or not.  Also too poppy in a way I don’t like.

APP: “One Note Symphony”  I remember this, Alan Parsons did work with people I knowin the past, so always kind of kept tabs on him.  Interesting concept song and he pulls it off.

All being said, and not voting for something I know, I am going with Phideaux.

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 16:36
Steven Wilson - Permanating out of these
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 13:23
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Good music is timeless........Clap
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 13:27

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Good music is timeless........Clap
I didn't respond earlier, but in case you didn't see, I did included an Epignosis' song in the latest poll.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 14:39
Steve Wilson-Permanating.....been a fan since the very early days of PT....
sure it's a pop song......it's supposed to be.
Wilson talking about  the tracks on To The Bone ..talks about Permanating starting at 6:22

I also like the Phideaux track,  the others are ok.

Edited by dr wu23 - July 25 2020 at 15:28
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 14:05
Phideaux by a mile.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 08:55
This is where it all began.  In hopes of introducing new music from the past three years to PAers and trying to get some more interest in this tournament and getting some more votes, I am bumping the Heavy Hitter threads from the first three rounds.  I will be ending the first round at the end of August so I am really hoping for some more participation.  I believe that many of those who have participated have discovered at least one good new song in each batch. Give it a shot, maybe you too will find something that you like!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 09:29
This one was the first of the polls to start the tournament and seems to have the most participation so cool!  Hopefully, we can drum up a few more listens and a few more votes.  This poll will remain open for 8 more days and then I will began the 2nd round.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12