Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you think that KC will release new music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2020 at 17:40
I don't know whether they will, nor do I care.
They've never made an album I like, and I can't see them starting now.
I'd rather listen to newer, fresher talent.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 00:08
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

No, as Fripp is on a nostalgia trip now.

I see it as quite a bit more than nostalgia....he never really had the chance to tour extensively with material from "Poseidon" or "Islands," and he assembled an amazing ensemble of original players as well as younger talent to re-envision these songs.  I've seen this twice, it is remarkable to witness live! 

That being said, I don't think Bob knows what the future holds.  We've emailed a bit about possibilities for live-streaming instead of touring, and he wrote this to me (and my partner in Fripp crime, Wayne)

dear charles - and wayne!

yep! we're into the Post Normal. 

i'm not sure that KC Live would translate into streaming.

i have seen some live-streaming and i'm not yet convinced.

we considered live-streaming Soundscapes c. 1998;

but the technology didn't support it.

and there's not a lot of high-adventure to be missed from live performance!

david singleton and myself are discussing virtual Royal Packages;

and we're giving thought to...

in addition to zia sadar's complexity, chaos, contradictions perhaps we can add another C...

(re-)Calibration?

many thanks for your interest, and please keep youse both safe!

vb, robert

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 10:46
I guess the most likely... or at least it should be... is if they would pull off another Starless and Bible Black, and compile all the new songs they have done in the last tours into a new album. Perhaps if they could do just two or three more songs with a more "traditional" song structure.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 12:35
Well if the Bowie Heroes case doesn't go a certain way etc *whistles innocently
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 12:47
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I see it as quite a bit more than nostalgia....he never really had the chance to tour extensively with material from "Poseidon" or "Islands," and he assembled an amazing ensemble of original players as well as younger talent to re-envision these songs. 
Hmm. Sounds nostalgic to me. Awesome, but nostalgic.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 16:57
Was new stuff expected from the touring band?  That would've been interesting.....maybe Crimso's masterpiece has yet to be made?  That said, I doubt we hear new KC music, but my hope is Fripp will loop together something for us while sitting around the house.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 00:46

I see it as quite a bit more than nostalgia....he never really had the chance to tour extensively with material from "Poseidon" or "Islands," and he assembled an amazing ensemble of original players as well as younger talent to re-envision these songs. 

Steve, I've been a part-time musician for over 45 years, and I still enjoy revisiting some of the earliest tunes I've ever played!  "Nostalgic" is for the fans, not for Fripp.  He's not nostalgic about it....this is a guy who re-invented every aspect of electric guitar (synth guitar, new standard tuning), and fused it with both old friends and new talent.  I see great creativity in what he is doing.  I'm proud that he is my friend. 

When I saw this show (14 Sept 2014), the band performed "In the Wake of Poseidon" live for the first time I ever heard it....ITWOP was one of my earliest musical influences.  This stage shows great creativity and innovation....drummers playing Mellotron patches on iPads, Bob holding down Mission Control at stage left etc. 

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 00:55
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I'd bet we've seen the end of new KC music for quite some time. 

Fripp is busy kicking everyone off YouTube for uploading his old stuff lol.

Hi,

He has that right ... he owns the music! You really think the Rolling Stones do it any less? ... you just don't hear about it!

He (Fripp) most certainly has the right, and I'm probably one of the few that 100% agree with and support what he's doing.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 05:24

Steve, I've been a part-time musician for over 45 years, and I still enjoy revisiting some of the earliest tunes I've ever played!  "Nostalgic" is for the fans, not for Fripp.  He's not nostalgic about it....this is a guy who re-invented every aspect of electric guitar (synth guitar, new standard tuning), and fused it with both old friends and new talent.  I see great creativity in what he is doing.  I'm proud that he is my friend. 

When I saw this show (14 Sept 2014), the band performed "In the Wake of Poseidon" live for the first time I ever heard it....ITWOP was one of my earliest musical influences.  This stage shows great creativity and innovation....drummers playing Mellotron patches on iPads, Bob holding down Mission Control at stage left etc. 

Charles, I see no negative connotation in the word nostalgic. It's just a warm remembrance of past times and events, and desire to revisit them. I'm glad that Mr. Fripp is your friend as these relationships add so much more to the music that these musicians produce, in ways not appreciated by fans that do not have relationships with their favorite musicians. I wish that I could say that all musicians are worth knowing personally but a majority of them certainly are. Tbh, I'm much more envious of your closeness with Rick Wakeman, as I've heard that he's quite a card as well as being a genius. But it wasn't in the cards for me. LOL

Edited by SteveG - July 30 2020 at 05:14
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 09:53

... in the word nostalgic. It's just a warm remembrance of past times and events, and desire to revisit them. 

Hi,

In my way of thinking and feeling, there is a certain measure of symbolic connection to the past for many of us ... the word "nostalgia", for me, kinda suggests that we are more into it than it is really necessary ... and sometimes as the song goes ... "living in the past" ... and that is not advisable ... after all a 50's Chevy on the freeway these days is probably going to get someone killed in places like LA, SF or NY ... where the highways are huge and the speeds are even faster.

When it comes to the arts, I'm not sure that "nostalgia" is the right thing ... for example, I am into the (so-called) "krautrock" thing as you well know, but for me it is not a NOSTALGIC thing at all ... it is ALL a HUGE appreciation for the use of the arts in it (film, theater, music, literature, etc) and their ability to infuse new ways of thinking and creating material ... for me, a lot of rock'n'roll has not changed since the 50's, with one very important difference ... the ability to add more electricity and effects and synthesizers which changed the sound of the music ... remember The Edge and Andy Summers showing us how a chord that we love so much on the sound, sounded horrible without the effects altogether (in their VH-1 special) ... which ought to tell a lot of us ... that some of it is just doctored stuff ... and OFF COURSE ... it can not be "unplugged" because it is not listenable ... and this is the greatest fear for a lot of these musicians that think that technology is the end all of it all ... and it is not ... 

KC has no need to release new music, and I believe Mr. Fripp is thinking that there are a lot of things inthe catalogue that he would like to do differently, but right now I'm not sure that he wants the version of folks that are with him ... I have this funny feeling that he might like to bring Bill Bruford out of retirement, to help create something so far out ... that we are going to sit here and go ... wow ... that was cool!

Wouldn't that be nice?

Edited by moshkito - July 29 2020 at 09:56
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 11:00

I see it as quite a bit more than nostalgia....he never really had the chance to tour extensively with material from "Poseidon" or "Islands," and he assembled an amazing ensemble of original players as well as younger talent to re-envision these songs. <span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;">

Hmm. Sounds nostalgic to me. Awesome, but nostalgic.</span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span>

Did they play the song "In the Wake of Poseidon" live with this line-up? Why did they drop it from the set-list? Why did they not release a show on CD with that song? (as far as I know).

Edited by Dellinger - September 04 2020 at 19:34
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 13:08
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I see it as quite a bit more than nostalgia....he never really had the chance to tour extensively with material from "Poseidon" or "Islands," and he assembled an amazing ensemble of original players as well as younger talent to re-envision these songs. <span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"><span style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;">

Hmm. Sounds nostalgic to me. Awesome, but nostalgic.</span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span>

They did play the song "In the Wake of Poseidon" live with this line-up? Why did they drop it from the set-list? Why did they not release a show on CD with that song? (as far as I know).

Sorry, I meant "Pictures of a City."  My bad.  This was the setlist:

I've seen KC going back to LTIA tour, this show was absolutely breathtaking!  

Edited by cstack3 - July 29 2020 at 13:14
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 16:42
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Was new stuff expected from the touring band?  

Actually, apart from many arrangements that were new, also some of the three drummers plus X stuff was new on these tours, no? I've seen them twice in 2018/19, and I'd say a good 10 minutes of the material is not from any studio album (not even re-arranged). It's not "songs" though.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 17:58
I saw this show in Chicago, which was remarkable, and they did a tiny bit of unreleased material (a better term to use than "new").  

ajfennewald View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajfennewald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 02:26
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I'd bet we've seen the end of new KC music for quite some time. 

Fripp is busy kicking everyone off YouTube for uploading his old stuff lol.

I think King Crimson is doing themselves a pretty big disservice by copyright blocking reaction videos.  These things can legitimately get people into older music they have never heard before.  Phil Collins even recharted in the air tonight due to a reaction video.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 11:52
Fripp visited a dying Wetton a few years back. Then he popped up on a Bowie documentary adding warm thoughts. Sure, he'll probably surprise us with a new Crimso' album within five years.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 13:49

Do you think that KC will release new music?

Not without the Sunshine band. Wink 
(Sorry , I couldn't resist!) 

Edited by Argo2112 - September 03 2020 at 13:50
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 02:01
Don't really see it happening... But who knows, the Frippman is full of surprises.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12