Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Covid-19 Invitational Tourn-Ladies of the Road #1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Covid-19 Invitational Tourn-Ladies of the Road #1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Do the ladies have what it takes to make you want to sing along?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [15.79%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [15.79%]
11 [57.89%]
2 [10.53%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Covid-19 Invitational Tourn-Ladies of the Road #1
    Posted: July 23 2020 at 08:07
The ladies have something to say in my little tournament so I hope that you enjoy can enjoy them as much as I do.

I could find YouTube video, so here is a link to their BandCamp page where you can listen to the song.

Have fun listening!  Let us know what you think.  

If you want to vote in the first bracket, here is the link.  

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 09:15
No contest. I had to listen to "Hold Me In" right after "Give Us The Gold", it's impossible to hear one without the other Tongue

I enjoyed Mariana Semkina's song more than I thought I would, I only knew the first two iamthemorning albums.

The others are OK, I liked Tirill slightly more.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 10:00
Five new discoveries for me. Thanks!

Mostly Autumn never convinced me - this is a nice song, but not much more than that.
Bent Knee, I guess the up-tempo lovers will prefer this one compared to the rather subdued other songs, but for me it's just slightly better than 13 in a dozen of recent prog.
Very nice song from Luna Rosa, but just not "it" in this competition.
Heard some albums by iamthemorning and I am still hesitating about buying one or two, so this piece by Mariana Semkina is quite nice but...
Tirill's Said the Sun to the Moon is the only song that really took me somewhere else, so my vote goes to Tirill !

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 10:32
Did it take you to the sun?  Or the moon?  Wink  That was one of the songs that I "discovered" while putting this tournament together.  I was looking for artists to include and saw that this album was ranked fairly high on the PA list of albums for 2019.  
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 10:36
Sadly, none of these piqued any interest.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 10:42
The Tirill song is very nice, but Bent Knee definitely have the edge here. I think they really came into their own with their latest album.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 11:02
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Did it take you to the sun?  Or the moon?

I took the tour, it was a round trip. Smile
But I will be happy to leave again and discover the rest of the album.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 11:27
Mariana Semkina for me. The song builds to a impressive ending. Killer drumming.

I know Bent Knee and like the music but the shrill vocals aren't for me. Not so much shrillness on this song.

The Luna Rossa song was repetitive and dull for me. The other two were okay.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 11:31
For me, the Luna Rossa song is a beautiful song.  I have a thing for that kind of acoustic guitar playing so that is probably part of it.  And I think that Anne-Marie Helder has a beautiful voice.  I get that it is not a prog rock song that is going to knock anyone's socks off for the musicianship, but that is not the point of these polls.  The standout to this song for me is the lyrics. It is just a nice touching song about family.  The kind of song that I think that a mainstream audience would enjoy.  Sort of in the Sister Sledge "We Are Family" way, but in a quite obviously different musical style.  

Mariana Semkina is another whose voice I love.  I actually include an iamthemorning song in one of the later polls, so hopefully, you all don't mind hearing her a second time.  I almost included her three times I like her voice so much.  LOL  The song that I selected was likely not the best from her new album, but it felt as though it had the most accessible sound to me.

For Mostly Autumn, they are a band that I love and I really wanted to include them in the tournament.  I suppose I probably should have gone with Into the Stars, but I liked the acoustic guitar playing on Gone.  Truly, I would loved to have included White Rainbow, but at 19 minutes it fell outside of my parameters.

As I mentioned above, the Tirill song was a new discovery for me.  It had some high marks in reviews so I thought that it would be a good addition to the tournament for what I was trying to provide.

The Bent Knee song has grown on me a bit.  I'm not a huge fan of Courtney Swain's voice.  There is kind of a harshness to it that is hard for me to enjoy, but this song appealed to me for its sound and I could see it being something that could find itself played at a party.      

Edited by rushfan4 - July 23 2020 at 11:32
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 11:59
I knew Bent Knee since Shiny Eyed Babies and couldn't get into them because of the vocals but it changed when I saw them live. I was spellbound by her voice.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 13:49
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

The Tirill song is very nice, but Bent Knee definitely have the edge here. I think they really came into their own with their latest album.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 14:19
Very nice poll. I enkjoyed all of them. The only one I knew was Bent Knee, and like with how I commonly operate in the Interactive Polls, knowing it well mihgt well discount it for me from the running. To me the excitement is in the newness, and I commonly have favoured that which is new to me that I enjoyed in polls generally. That fresh factor is important to me. If the known is very definitely my favourite after listening to the choices, well then I might go for the known.

It's between the Tirill (which I might well have heard actually) and "Gone" for me. I am voting for Tirill's "Said The Sun to the Moo"n. Wonderful. Actually, I would have voted for it had I not known the Bent Knee.

By the way, my favourite Bent Knee is "Leak Water", which I really, really, really love -- it's the first thing I heard of Bent Knee (musically it could fit quite well into a James Bond film I feel):

EDIT, edit, edit, I can't type a simple coherent sentence today. Extreme lack of sleep for days is likely the cause.

Edited by Logan - July 23 2020 at 14:30
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 17:13
Bent Knee, no doubt.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 19:42
I only know the last two (so no vote), and neither really do it for me. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 20:23
Huh.  I thought I for sure had a vote from you for Bent Knee.  Goes to show what I know.  
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2020 at 21:10
"How to Be Alone" reminds me of Persephone's Dream a great deal.  I dig it.

"Family Tree" is a well done acoustic tune.  I appreciate it for that, but I feel there's more adventurous and yet catchy songs here.

"Said the Sun to the Moon" is another charming piece.  It doesn't engage me like a good pop tune should.

"Give Us the Gold" features a vocal I can't abide, and I'm not wild about the music either.  That was tough to listen through.

"Gone" is predictably beautiful and sounds like Jewel.

I have to go with the first option, Mariana Semkina.

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 07:46
Marjana Semkina is my obvious favourite here. Nice playing with time signatures with the 5/8 in the lead.

Luna Rossa's song is a lovely ditty and Tirill's one is equally charming.

I find Bent Knee far from enjoyable, though there may be a chance it will grow on me after a number of listens. I only liked the end of this song.

Mostly Autumn's song is another good one, though rather hypothermic. Does not fit in very well with the time of the year on this hemisphere, even though July has been rather cool here, I would almost say mostly autumn.

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 09:04

Marjana Semkina: “How To Be Alone”  LOVE this singer, this whole recording and her work with iamthemorning.  This does not disappoint, stunning and wonderful build to this piece.

Luna Rossa:  “Family Tree”  Nice folkish piece, pretty guitar and good voice, with a bit more heft than some of these.  Pretty concept to it, also, clever writing.  Understated production, well done.

Tirill:  Introduced to her by a review on this site, by Kev Rowland.  “Said the Sun to the Moon” Love the harp.  More ethereal voices, this time harmonizing nicely with herself.  Sweet faerie sounding.

Bent Knee:  “Give Us The Gold” I know they are darlings with so many of the prog scene, but I just don’t like Courtney Swain’s bitten-off enunciation, it sounds like she’s purposely straining to me.  I’ve seen some live videos, she is very compelling live. I am still going to search around in their catalog, though, just because so many people whose opinions I respect just adore them.  Maybe I just haven't heard the right thing for me, yet.  I really like the music, however.

Mostly Autumn: “Gone” I have been hearing them about on the prog shows.  Like the band and the singer, but haven’t heard this piece.  Love the production and the sadness of the song.  I like her midrange voice, and her clarity.

I am going to use the same rules as I have been, for the non-prog polls we’ve been doing, Scott….Yay, I finally have your real name straight, sorry, it takes me some time to get these stuck in my head!  Anyway, for those who don’t know, if I know a piece, I will not vote for it.  I really love Marjana Semkina and am very familiar with this (and have purchased it), so not voting for her, solely for that reason. 

My vote is going to Mostly Autumn. 

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 11:12
Saw Bent Knee with Haken and Leprous, as I've said before they were an excellent surprise!! Really enjoyed Courtney's performance and vocals... Although Scott, I would have included Ninet Tayeb in the poll, her stage presence is exhilarating with strong powerful vocals.

I picked Bent Knee.  
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 11:21
Ah yes, Ninet Tayeb.  Fantastic vocalist, you'd sent me in her direction some time back.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>