Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mostly Autumn: The New Pink Floyd?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 19:30
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

^ If the success of MA or any other band depended on PA and its admins. Wink

Hi,

Every little bit helps ... but not having the "better" or "best" possible comments on these bands that deserve more attention, is sad ... they are not, my favorite bands ... however, their ability and style is really well done and deserves better attention ... but I'm not sure that we help these bands enough!

Not that we "have to" ... but if we're going to SUPPORT PROGRESSIVE MUSIC, then WE HAVE TO!

Plain English and very simple ... my take is almost like we don't believe the "progressive" anything anymore ... and find something that is not helping the music go forward! JT, Yes, PF, KC, ELP, GEN ... do not need any more pushes "forward" as "progressive" ... now is the time we cement their "children" as the caretakers of the light of progressive ... why is this so hard to understand? 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 19:46
You must have the best weed supplier.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 23:39
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I don't know a whole lot about them but I don't think they are the new Pink Floyd. If anyone is it's probably this band called airbag.

Mostly Autumn sounded mostly like Pink Floyd on their Pink Floyd Revisited DVD. Wink
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 08:15
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I don't know a whole lot about them but I don't think they are the new Pink Floyd. If anyone is it's probably this band called airbag.

Mostly Autumn sounded mostly like Pink Floyd on their Pink Floyd Revisited DVD. Wink

So I just gave The Last Bright Light album a listen and I'm not hearing many Floyd references, it's mainly Folk prog with a heavier / rockier feel. Anything I'm missing? Any other albums I should try? 

If the only place they're the 'next Pink Floyd' is on a DVD of covers then I'm better off listening to the real thing, or The Decemberist, or Voivod.

It's nice enough stuff but hardly earth shattering.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 08:27
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

So I just gave The Last Bright Light album a listen and I'm not hearing many Floyd references, it's mainly Folk prog with a heavier / rockier feel. Anything I'm missing? Any other albums I should try? 

If the only place they're the 'next Pink Floyd' is on a DVD of covers then I'm better off listening to the real thing, or The Decemberist, or Voivod.

It's nice enough stuff but hardly earth shattering.
The epic song "Heroes Never Die" sounds very reminiscent of Pink Floyd to my ears.

NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 08:57
MA leader Bryan Josh never made a secret of his admiration to Pink Floyd and Gilmour's guitar playing. Bryan says "It's in the blood" and you can hear gilmouresque guitar in many MA songs. I would say it's one of the band's trademarks, though MA have the sound of their own.

So PF inflences are obvious. Are Mostly Autumn the new Pink Floyd? - Definitely no.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 08:59
This thread title seems to change and evolve as Psychedelic Paul becomes more familiar with older albums by MA, where the band, and guitarist Josh, were heavily indebted to Floyd and Gilmour. They moved more into their own neo prog sound on more current albums, but were never in the hunt to dethrone Floyd or anyone else.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 09:07
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

This thread title seems to change and evolve as Psychedelic Paul becomes more familiar with older albums by MA, where the band, and guitarist Josh, were heavily indebted to Floyd and Gilmour. They moved more into their own neo prog sound on more current albums, but were never in the hunt to dethrone Floyd or anyone else.

It wouldn't be the first time I've changed a thread title, or the last. Wink
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 09:14
Yeah, we know.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 09:27
I’m on my iPad and page two won’t even open, gets stalled in loading. I think it’s probably too many video embeds, I can overdo that myself in topics and have received complaints. One thing, avoid posting lots of tracks from albums or full albums. That has been a policy. Just post ones you particularly like or that make a certain case. If people want to check out more, they can always look up YouTube, or one could in cases just provide a link to playlists and individual videos on YouTube. As for that last video, I hear a latter day Pink Floyd sound. It sounds fairly generic to me.

This off that same album, the debut, sounds very Pink Floyd to me.

It s not reminiscent of my favourite Pink Floyd periods, the more out there 60s through early 70s Pink Floyd psych and more experimental or underground period.   It’s more like the most commercial and slick sounding, to my ears, of Pink Floyd.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 09:49
^ I'll go back and delete some of those "That Night in Leamington" videos from Page 2. Wink

Okay, I've now deleted 13 videos from Page 2 so I hope that helps, although it took me awhile to delete them all, as I had to wait for the page to reload each time. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 03 2020 at 12:34
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 12:20
Given that I have a spare 5 minutes, as a huge fan of the band, and, unlike Paul, very familiar with them, I will answer the main question in the thread.

The comparison as the “New Pink Floyd” is utterly preposterous. A lot of this actually came about from an interview conducted with the late, great, Richard Wright on BBC Radio Two a number of years ago. When asked what floated his boat, he mentioned the fact that he had been “grooving” to a “new band” (they were not that new) called Mostly Autumn, and made reference to the fact that they had Floydian sounds inherent in the music.

Cue the, perhaps understandably, rush on the part of MA to build upon such a glittering endorsement of their work. The “Pink Floyd Revisited” DVD is the resulting “live experience”. I have never reviewed this, but, in truth, I regard it as a mistake. There is a terrible syncing issue between the visual and the vocal, but my main gripe about it is the simple fact that this great band’s music stands up very well in its own right. They were, and are, so much more than a simple “neo-prog” band. They are wholly original, creative, and emotional. Yes, quite clearly they have influences. In fact, Probably the biggest influence in terms of their live career was the endorsement of Ritchie Blackmore, who heard something very unique in the band and Josh especially. As a result of,this, the band supported Blackmore’s Night and also Rainbow on the comeback tour.

There is only one Pink Floyd. Equally, there is only one Mostly Autumn. Forget the comparisons, because, in the main, they do not really exist.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 12:54
I agree that MA have morphed their music into an original sound, but neo prog still fits them.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 13:42

I agree that MA have morphed their music into an original sound, but neo prog still fits them.
I was once criticised for having the audacity to include Mostly Autumn in my Neo-Prog poll, although I won't say who criticised me. Wink
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 13:57
Well, these things are always contentious, but for the sake of convenience, Neo prog fits the bill. At least it does to me. Wink

Edited by SteveG - August 03 2020 at 13:59
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 23:54

Hi,

A lot of times it is easy to say that it sounds like and such, but as was the case in the old days, the same instrument in Germany or Italy, still sounded the same ... but not sure if it was MA or not, that the guitarist seemed like he was a DG fan ... and it made it sound like it was PF in that it seemed like the "solo's" and parts that are emphasized by the guitar were defined just like it might have been PF ... but, honestly, for me comparisons like that are bad ... people still say that Le Orme sounds like ELP and PF and what not ... and that, for me, is just really bad listening, and more than likely not to the whole album, either ... just bits and pieces of one song!

It's hard to not say that it sounds like ... when there is one sound that is so familiar to all of us ... and that really makes it hard for new musicians with the same instruments ... they won't get the chance because they were always compared first ... but like a few other bands, didn't MA also do some PF covers? 

It's almost like saying that every concerto or symphony has to sound like Mozart or Beethoven ... and you know that folks saying that, just like that ... are ... yeah, right! 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 00:55

Lazland's excellent reviews for some of Mostly Autumn's albums:-

The Ghost Moon Orchestra (2012:- http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=852595

They truly are excellent review by Lazland
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 00:58
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

A lot of times it is easy to say that it sounds like and such, but as was the case in the old days, the same instrument in Germany or Italy, still sounded the same ... but not sure if it was MA or not, that the guitarist seemed like he was a DG fan ... and it made it sound like it was PF in that it seemed like the "solo's" and parts that are emphasized by the guitar were defined just like it might have been PF ... but, honestly, for me comparisons like that are bad ... people still say that Le Orme sounds like ELP and PF and what not ... and that, for me, is just really bad listening, and more than likely not to the whole album, either ... just bits and pieces of one song!

It's hard to not say that it sounds like ... when there is one sound that is so familiar to all of us ... and that really makes it hard for new musicians with the same instruments ... they won't get the chance because they were always compared first ... but like a few other bands, didn't MA also do some PF covers? 

It's almost like saying that every concerto or symphony has to sound like Mozart or Beethoven ... and you know that folks saying that, just like that ... are ... yeah, right! 

Excellently stated 

Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 03:59
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I agree mosh. Neo prog is more of an indicator of an era than of a requisite set of sound characteristics. But as I stated many, many times before, assigning a genre or sub genre (any genre or sub genre) is done more in the interests of convenience than accuracy.

Edited by SteveG - August 04 2020 at 04:00
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 08:18

I agree mosh. Neo prog is more of an indicator of an era than of a requisite set of sound characteristics. But as I stated many, many times before, assigning a genre or sub genre (any genre or sub genre) is done more in the interests of convenience than accuracy.

Hi,

I'm OK with "neo-prog" as a term ... the only thing that might bother me, is that it looks like some folks don't consider it as good a piece of music as the "original" prog.

In situations like this my preferences is to find a way not to use the term ... and still consider the band.

Comparisons between "today's" bands, and "yesterday's" bands is a kind of dead end for me ... the electronics used now, cheat so much and change the music so much that it prevents you and I from making an honest opinion about the music ... remember both The Edge and Andy Summers have shown how the electronics in their guitar makes it sound nice to your ear, whereas when the electronics are taken out it sounds awful.

Stuff like this makes the "older" material not sound as "good" or as "modern" as things can be these days ... and I tend to not do comparisons on these things ... even blues on blues in clubs is not the same as it was 50 years ago ... the "raw" quality (no effects of any kind except a cheesy one or so), is gone and replaced by something that sounds better for our ears these days ... and I think that it takes away from the real blues ... and reminds me of a special on Jack White (VH-1 special) where he wants to play just like the old record sounded, which he admitted might make it sound not as good as people hear things today.

MA is a fine, fine band ... and really deserves better. And PA could do a smidge better ... but I'm not sure when so many of the bigger folks here, also participate to defend their favorite group!

I'm guessing that we need to dump "favorite" and start paying attention to more music in order to help bands like MA a bit more!

www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>