Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Covid-19 Invitational Tourn.- Instrumentals #1

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which song strikes the right chords?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [5.26%]
6 [31.58%]
2 [10.53%]
7 [36.84%]
3 [15.79%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Covid-19 Invitational Tourn.- Instrumentals #1
    Posted: July 26 2020 at 08:11
So this poll may be a bit of a stretch with my stated goal of finding that next song from a prog band that has what it takes to bring prog to the mainstream, but hey, us prog fans like our instrumentals and once in a blue moon an instrumental like Tequila or Wipe Out make it into the collective consciousness and become big hits.  Which one of these instrumentals do you think just might have what it takes?

Anyhow, I find all five of these to be good instrumentals with some potential.  Happy progging!

If you missed the first four polls and are interested in checking them out, here are the links:

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 09:05
This poll is just the mirror opposite of the one you posted yesterdayWink - meaning that every single track appeals to me in its own way. While all your choices are excellent, the Far Corner track stands head and shoulders above the rest. Risk was my top album of 2018, and I really hope to be able to see the band on stage when this crazy COVID situation is finally over.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 09:52
I had a feeling that you would enjoy this one more.  Thumbs Up
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 10:46
Very tough, my least favorite is The Fierce and the Dead. Bubu, never heard and it's fierce. Holzman, have the album and all is quality. Far Corner sounds unoriginal, too much like Anglagard, so that loses points for me. Gryphon is new to me, maybe a bit to Celtic for my tastes but very good. I choose Bubu.

Here is another band that needs exposure.

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 12:13
Thanks again for making me discover a couple of bands that I never heard of. Only knew Gryphon because I had one of their 70s albums on cassette. Threw all my cassettes away and never replaced that album on CD or vinyl - must have a reason. So, theirs is not my favourite instrumental.
- Far Corner: I have the impression they wanted it to be it some kind of showcase of their talents, but to me it is more a showcase of clichés.
- The Fierce and the Dead: Don't think they know the meaning of the word "euphoric", that guitar sound wall coming in is far from being it, and I'm neither regarding their track.
I hesitated between Bubu and Adam Holzman, which were pleasant listens to me, although not revolutionary in originality either.
Don't think any of these tracks will chart, but personally I vote for Holzman's piece, it finally gave me the most pleasure listening to.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 12:13
The Fierce and the Dead “The Euphoric” Took too long to get to the “hook” for a traditional hit.  I really love instrumentals and long pieces of music, this one was not my cup of tea, it felt too impersonal.

Bubu “Por La Manana”  Starts beautifully and kept my interest.  Nice kind of jazzy feel and I like the punchy guitars when they come in over the smooth underpinnings.  Then there is a bit of a shift at 2:30-ish.  I like this one a lot.  Could it be a hit?  Maybe with me, not sure about it’s potential to be the next “Tequila!”

Adam Holzman “Good Luck With Your Music”  Plunky, staccato-y sounds to start, goes to a smooth jazz kind of sax sounds that also get staccato-y.  3:40 Traffic-y piano part there, that was my favourite section in this one.

Far Corner “Fork”  I love the picture!  I have heard this band about on the prog shows, never did hear this piece, though.  Enjoy the heaviness and the violin.  This is more the style I like, than say, Holzman or The Fierce and the Dead, but not sure if it would be a prog hit. 

Gryphon “Dumbe Dum Chit”  Actually I think this would have the most likelihood to be a prog hit….but I know the band and the piece.  It does stand out the most out of the group for a “Hey, listen to that!” right at the beginning.  Can I break my rule of knowing a piece makes it ineligible for my vote? 

Which could become a hit?  In the old world of hit radio, you had to grab a listener within something like the first seven seconds, if I remember correctly (also, the A&R guy if you were an unsigned act).  Really quickly, in other words.  So even long songs had to kind of hit you over the head pretty fast, which doesn’t mean it had to do so violently.  Even prog hits tend to have a hook. 

I cannot break my own rule, so am going to go for Bubu.

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 13:45
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Very tough, my least favorite is The Fierce and the Dead. Bubu, never heard and it's fierce. Holzman, have the album and all is quality. Far Corner sounds unoriginal, too much like Anglagard, so that loses points for me. Gryphon is new to me, maybe a bit to Celtic for my tastes but very good. I choose Bubu.

Here is another band that needs exposure.

I listened to that album on Spotify a couple of times last year.  Good stuff.  Thanks for sharing that tune.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 13:54
Gryphon...
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 14:01
Thanks for catering a poll to me. :p

Far Corner for sure. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 14:32
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Thanks for catering a poll to me. :p
If you put 100 monkeys in a room long enough they're bound to get it right at least once.  Big smile

Edited by rushfan4 - July 26 2020 at 14:32
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 16:38
Fork me silly!
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 21:28
Have the albums by Bubu, the Fierce and the Dead, and Far Corner. I think Truck by the Fierce and the Dead could have a more mainstream appeal. The Far Corner album is one of my favorites from the ladt five to ten years. Voted for Far Corner.

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 06:04
Gryphon for me.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 11:10
The Fierce and the Dead need a vote, fun stuff! (I like the Bubu about as much.)
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 14:37
Can we stick a Fork in the rest of them?  Are they done?  11 days to find out. :)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 15:29
Bubu - Por La Manana
 Post Reply Post Reply