Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Covid-19 Invitational Tourn.- Multilingual #1

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these most speak your language?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [41.67%]
1 [8.33%]
1 [8.33%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [41.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Covid-19 Invitational Tourn.- Multilingual #1
    Posted: July 27 2020 at 09:14
Two Italians, a Frenchman, a Finn and a Chilean walk into a bar and the bartender says "What is this crap!!! I'm paying you to play Top 40 music!".   Anyhow, with this final bracket of the first round of my tournament I have stepped outside of my comfort zone and selected bands that are singing songs in their native languages that I don't speak nor understand.  All of these songs sound good to me, and my question to you is which one would have the best chance of finding fame and fortune with a mainstream audience in my fantasy alternative reality?

This what goes 6 minutes so it is a cheat song, but it sounds really good and I like it and wanted to include it.

This one is not on PA, but Nicolas Quinteros does have a band "Q" on here, so I thought, what the heck might as well include it.

Of course, these guys should be included in a Heavy Hitters bracket, but I decided to include them here.

Happy listening!  This concluded the first round of brackets.  I will return tomorrow with Heavy Hitters #2.

If you missed the first five polls and are interested in checking them out, here are the links: 

Edited by rushfan4 - July 27 2020 at 12:16
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 09:38
Lazuli's singer is very strong. The production on this sounds really good. Tunel Eterna, the music is the most mainstream for me, until the operatic break. All are good. Vote for Lazuli. Now spending more cash on music. Thanks man.

Another Swedish band.

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 10:19
Listening to the songs now. Just one thing, though: Malady are not Swedish, they are Finnish. Finnish people might react quite strongly if someone mistook them for their arch-rivals on the other side of the Baltic SeaLOL. The two languages, btw, are very different and not related at all.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 10:26
The joke's on me.  I thought they were Swedish...I looked it up, saw that they were from Finland, and then proceeded to type Swede anyways.  Oops!  Anyhow, I have fixed my dumb joke to say a Finn.  LOL  Thank you!
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 10:31
Oh what a great selection. Knew Lazuli and Banco beforehand, but also really like the others (you see: it's possible ! Smile)

Regarding Banco (how I miss Francesco Di Giacomo's voice...) and Tunel Eterna, I guess it is too modern-proggy to find a mainstream audience. Malady, I'm afraid, sounds a bit too outdated for a contemporary (pop) audience.
Logos is a real good discovery to me: only based on this track I will buy the album, because listening to this, the rest of the tracks can not be bad. Love the combined vocals! But I guess the song is a bit too soft and subdued for the big reach.
So, my vote goes to Lazuli. I not only like everything they offer, but this song has also the most "pop"-leanings of the five tracks in this selection.

Again, great selection and thanks for leading me to Logos.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 10:37
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Lazuli's singer is very strong. The production on this sounds really good. Tunel Eterna, the music is the most mainstream for me, until the operatic break. All are good. Vote for Lazuli. Now spending more cash on music. Thanks man.

Another Swedish band.

Kind of a neat story with Lazuli.  Claude Leonetti can't use his left arm because of a motorcycle accident so he uses a léode, which I believe I heard is an instrument that he invented.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 10:38
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Oh what a great selection. Knew Lazuli and Banco beforehand, but also really like the others (you see: it's possible ! Smile)

Regarding Banco (how I miss Francesco Di Giacomo's voice...) and Tunel Eterna, I guess it is too modern-proggy to find a mainstream audience. Malady, I'm afraid, sounds a bit too outdated for a contemporary (pop) audience.
Logos is a real good discovery to me: only based on this track I will buy the album, because listening to this, the rest of the tracks can not be bad. Love the combined vocals! But I guess the song is a bit too soft and subdued for the big reach.
So, my vote goes to Lazuli. I not only like everything they offer, but this song has also the most "pop"-leanings of the five tracks in this selection.

Again, great selection and thanks for leading me to Logos.
You're welcome!
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 10:45
A very patriotic vote (doubly so, because they are also from Rome, my home town) for Banco. I hadn't yet heard anything from Transiberiana, and listening to this song I was surprised by how much it sounds like Banco, all the while sounding different because of the vocals. I also liked Tunel Eterna a lot, because hard rock Wink.

On the other hand, the Logos song did not do a lot for me, as it has some of those overly romantic features that I've always objected to in a lot of Italian music. It is a pity, because the song (and the whole album) is about a story I loved when I was a child - the story of Sadako Sasaki, one of the survivors of the Hiroshima bombing, who died of leukemia at 12. I had a book about her, which I read over and over again.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 12:10
Lazuli - De deux choses lune  Like the watery guitars and the vocal is quite good, goes with the feel of the music to me.  Kind of ended abruptly, not sure if it was intentional or a mistake on the part of the YT entry.

Malady - Tiedon kehtalaulu  This one is more upbeat initially in feel, but there is a hint of melancholy in the flute.  Very pleasant, drifty music.

Logo - Il Sarto  Nice organ beginning the piece.  Sweet-sounding vocals, sounds like a sentimental song with pretty orchestration.

Túnel Eterna - Lo Que Viene Bien  Ah, a heavier driving piece.  Get the feeling there is some sort of jealousy thng going on with these friends, the woman who examines the mask, is she thinking that everyone is false?  You definitely get a feeling that this could turn out strangely.  I would not have gotten that without the video, however. 

Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - Lo sciamano  I do know OF this band, but have not heard much, if any, before.  Maybe way way way back, but not in my memory.  Another kind of heavy feel, with very processed (meaning through some kind of phaser or another?) vocal choir thing going on.  Then very strident vocals, goes well with the music.

I do not speak any of these languages, but I do love etymology, so can pick up bits and pieces, certainly not the entire true meaning, however.  I do listen to a lot of music from around the world, so not understanding the language in and of itself is certainly not a deterrent for me. Emotionality is important in determining whether I enjoy it or not, primarily, then.  Do the vocals reflect the music, even when I don’t understand them?  

I'm going with Lazuli, I really like what I've been hearing of the French progressive sounds and this is very like what I've been hearing.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 12:55
I loved listening to Malady's "Tiedon kehtalaulu". It's very much my kind of thing and got my vote.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 13:06
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Lazuli - ...Kind of ended abruptly, not sure if it was intentional or a mistake on the part of the YT entry....

This is a YT mistake, on the album it fades out.
Here is a live rendition of the same song. It also shows, by moments, the use of the "Léode", played by Claude Léonetti, on the left (of the screen).

Re the léode, I translate (partly) from their website :
The léode - contraction of "Léonetti" and "Claude" - is a kind of electronic Lapsteel guitar. As Claude says with humour "It is the fruit of the improbable mating between a guitar, a synthesizer, a melodic saw, an Onde Martenot and a piece of wood. I am the best player in the world! I am also the only one."

In the board, their are 4 channels reacting to the movement and the pressure of the fingers. The Midi controls the tuning, the velocity and the aftertouch...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 13:09
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Another Swedish band.

That was a cool song.  Musically, I liked that a lot.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 13:56
Lazuli is a monster waiting to be unleashed upon the world at large.
The Prog Corner
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 14:18
ill vote Banco 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 16:49
Banco wins this one for me.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 17:11
Another vote Lazuli.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 12:12
This poll will remain open 7 more days.  Any more takers?  I know that there is some PA love out there for bands that perform in languages other than English.  Step up and show your support!!
 Post Reply Post Reply