Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

England, Forever England

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: England, Forever England
    Posted: July 30 2020 at 23:35
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^ I'm with you on that....I notice the music and if it grabs me,,,later on I sometimes might notice the recording quality ,etc.....maybe. Wink
My feelings exactly. Thumbs Up
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 20:58
^ I'm with you on that....I notice the music and if it grabs me,,,later on I sometimes might notice the recording quality ,etc.....maybe. I often think people here pay too much attention to those aspects....but that's not a knock on them.

Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 15:58
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I’ve had the Garden Shed LP for decades but rarely spin it. It is a very good album, nice try from the boys, but a) about 5 years too late, and b) I don’t like the muffled drum sound. And what’s with that snare ?

I never even noticed the muffled drum sound, or the snare, but then again, I'm not very technically-minded when it comes to music, or anything else for that matter. Smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 15:21
I’ve had the Garden Shed LP for decades but rarely spin it. It is a very good album, nice try from the boys, but a) about 5 years too late, and b) I don’t like the muffled drum sound. And what’s with that snare ?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 14:02
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Excellent band I only heard of them a few years ago thanks to M27Braney

I guess it takes a while longer for news of upcoming "new" prog bands of the 1970's to reach Planet Vulcan. Wink
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 11:50
Excellent band I only heard of them a few years ago thanks to M27Braney
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 13:42
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I have Garden Shed and Jubblies....good music and though I have listened to them many times it never quite 
reaches me as well as I think it should. 
I listened to The Last of the Jubblies  for the very first time today, and I fell instantly in love with England's Lovely-Jubbly album. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 29 2020 at 09:33
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 12:46
I have Garden Shed and Jubblies....good music and though I have listened to them many times it never quite 
reaches me as well as I think it should. 
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 06:08
^ I'm currently listening to England's albums in sequence in this thread, and so the final England song I listen to will be "Fine Alley" Smile
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 06:04
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Garden Shed is a nice album but from what I recall very derivative of Yes, Genesis and Queen. I found it a bit on the twee side, personally.

I've been in the Garden Shed in England listening to England's albums for three days in a row now amongst the potting plants, and I never tire of hearing them, and being derivative of Genesis and Yes is a positively good thing to my eyes and ears. Smile
To be fair they do a very classy job of it, more so than most of these acts that never quite get out from under their influences.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 05:53
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Garden Shed is a nice album but from what I recall very derivative of Yes, Genesis and Queen. I found it a bit on the twee side, personally.

I've been in the Garden Shed in England listening to England's albums for three days in a row now amongst the potting plants, and I never tire of hearing them, and being derivative of Genesis and Yes is a positively good thing to my eyes and ears. Smile
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 05:03

Edited by Mascodagama - July 28 2020 at 05:05
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 04:37
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Great band! 

Question, Paul:  Why did this band never reach the heights of popularity and recognition that Yes, Genesis, Floyd or even GG, Renaissance, and VDGG achieve? Record label? Radio play? Not enough gigging? Critical snubbery? 

My friends and I were heavily into prog at the time but I had never heard of this band until I joined PA, so a lack of promotion I guess?
The same thing applies to me too - I'd never heard of England either until I first went online and discovered ProgArchives for the first time back in 2010/2011.

Just to confuse things, there was also another English band going by the same name of England (mentioned in my intro), who released a self-titled album of Jazz-Rock in 1976, and this is it.....

ENGLAND - England (1976)

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 03:52

Great band! 

Question, Paul:  Why did this band never reach the heights of popularity and recognition that Yes, Genesis, Floyd or even GG, Renaissance, and VDGG achieve? Record label? Radio play? Not enough gigging? Critical snubbery? 

My friends and I were heavily into prog at the time but I had never heard of this band until I joined PA, so a lack of promotion I guess?
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 03:27

Great band! 

Actually, I'd say they were too late in the 70s, a bit like why Rush were only quite successful at the same time rather than hugely successful. It was all punk and disco then.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 01:35
Box of Circles (2018)

1. Carmina Burana

2. Destiny

3. Hymn

4. Masters of War

5. God Must Be a Boogieman

6. Timelessness

7. Fags, Booze & Lottery

8. It Couldn't Be You

9. Wheel of Fortune

10. Fine Alley

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 00:23
Live in Japan: Kikimimi (2006)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 22:24
The Last of the Jubblies (1997)

1. Creepin'

2. A One Legged Day Tale

3. Sausage Pie

4. Tooting Bec Rape Case

5. Mister Meener

6. Nanogram

7. Flying Saucers (Bonus Track)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 27 2020 at 22:27
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 16:04
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Arista were not really interested, didn't support or promote the album plus a new, UK prog band raising its head above the parapet just as all the big bands were (according to the music press) were on their way down.. Sadly, its not difficult to see how things would work out. But they did leave behind a classic album in Garden Shed and a fair bit of conjecture about why they didn't go further. I think they reformed and maybe even played a few live dates last year?? 

We also have the new England studio album "Box of Circles" (2018) to look forward to, which I haven't yet heard, but the good news is, I found all of the relevant YouTube videos  for the album today, so I'll post them later on this thread. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 15:57
ENGLAND - Garden Shed (1977)

1. Midnight Madness

2. All Alone

3. Three-Piece Suite

4. Paraffinalea

5. Yellow

6. Poisoned Youth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>