Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

England, Forever England

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: England, Forever England
    Posted: July 27 2020 at 14:29
ENGLAND: a Symphonic Prog band from the golden era of British prog, who play music that's as grand and imposing as THE IMPERIAL HOTEL in the West End of London. England sound as English as the GARDEN SHED at the bottom of an English country garden. Incidentally, the cover of their 1977 GARDEN SHED album was a humorous ironic reference to the Golden Shred brand of marmalade. England have often been compared to Yes, and deservedly so, when you hear their symphonic majesty in all of its musical pomp and splendour. England were also the clear winners in the first of my recent Prog Britannia polls. They released an archive mid-1970's collection of unreleased songs in 1997, titled THE LAST OF THE JUBBLIES and they made a comeback tour of Japan in 2006, which subsequently became the LIVE IN JAPAN: KIKIMIMI album. England's latest album, BOX OF CIRCLES, was released as recently as 2018. Just to confuse matters, there was also a completely unrelated English band going by the name of England, who released a self-titled album of Jazz-Rock in 1976, and on a side note, a close musical friend of mine was the sound engineer for England's KIKIMIMI tour of Japan. Smile

ENGLAND ALBUMS

1975: The Imperial Hotel (Extended play suite)
1977: Garden Shed
1997: The Last of the Jubblies
2006: Live in Japan: Kikimimi
2018: Box of Circles

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 19 2020 at 12:21
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 14:32
The Imperial Hotel (1975)

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 15:16
Great band! 

Question, Paul:  Why did this band never reach the heights of popularity and recognition that Yes, Genesis, Floyd or even GG, Renaissance, and VDGG achieve? Record label? Radio play? Not enough gigging? Critical snubbery? 
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 15:48
Arista were not really interested, didn't support or promote the album plus a new, UK prog band raising its head above the parapet just as all the big bands were (according to the music press) were on their way down.. Sadly, its not difficult to see how things would work out. But they did leave behind a classic album in Garden Shed and a fair bit of conjecture about why they didn't go further. I think they reformed and maybe even played a few live dates last year?? 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 15:48
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Great band! 

Question, Paul:  Why did this band never reach the heights of popularity and recognition that Yes, Genesis, Floyd or even GG, Renaissance, and VDGG achieve? Record label? Radio play? Not enough gigging? Critical snubbery? 
Hi Drew. From what I've read, the release of England's Garden Shed album in 1977 was overshadowed by the emergence of the Punk Rock movement around the same time, so if England had been around just a few years earlier at the beginning of the 1970's, they might just have gained the audience recognition and radio airplay that they so justly deserved. Thank goodness for ProgArchives and YouTube, because if it wasn't for the Internet, England might have gone the same way as the golliwog on a jar of marmalade. Wink
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 15:49
Garden Shed is a very nice album
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 15:57
ENGLAND - Garden Shed (1977)

1. Midnight Madness

2. All Alone

3. Three-Piece Suite

4. Paraffinalea

5. Yellow

6. Poisoned Youth

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 16:04
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Arista were not really interested, didn't support or promote the album plus a new, UK prog band raising its head above the parapet just as all the big bands were (according to the music press) were on their way down.. Sadly, its not difficult to see how things would work out. But they did leave behind a classic album in Garden Shed and a fair bit of conjecture about why they didn't go further. I think they reformed and maybe even played a few live dates last year?? 

We also have the new England studio album "Box of Circles" (2018) to look forward to, which I haven't yet heard, but the good news is, I found all of the relevant YouTube videos  for the album today, so I'll post them later on this thread. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 22:24
The Last of the Jubblies (1997)

1. Creepin'

2. A One Legged Day Tale

3. Sausage Pie

4. Tooting Bec Rape Case

5. Mister Meener

6. Nanogram

7. Flying Saucers (Bonus Track)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 27 2020 at 22:27
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 00:23
Live in Japan: Kikimimi (2006)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 01:35
Box of Circles (2018)

1. Carmina Burana

2. Destiny

3. Hymn

4. Masters of War

5. God Must Be a Boogieman

6. Timelessness

7. Fags, Booze & Lottery

8. It Couldn't Be You

9. Wheel of Fortune

10. Fine Alley

FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 03:27

Great band! 

Actually, I'd say they were too late in the 70s, a bit like why Rush were only quite successful at the same time rather than hugely successful. It was all punk and disco then.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 03:52

Great band! 

My friends and I were heavily into prog at the time but I had never heard of this band until I joined PA, so a lack of promotion I guess?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 04:37
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Great band! 

My friends and I were heavily into prog at the time but I had never heard of this band until I joined PA, so a lack of promotion I guess?
The same thing applies to me too - I'd never heard of England either until I first went online and discovered ProgArchives for the first time back in 2010/2011.

Just to confuse things, there was also another English band going by the same name of England (mentioned in my intro), who released a self-titled album of Jazz-Rock in 1976, and this is it.....

ENGLAND - England (1976)

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 05:03
Garden Shed is a nice album but from what I recall very derivative of Yes, Genesis and Queen. I found it a bit on the twee side, personally.

Edited by Mascodagama - July 28 2020 at 05:05
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 05:53
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Garden Shed is a nice album but from what I recall very derivative of Yes, Genesis and Queen. I found it a bit on the twee side, personally.

I've been in the Garden Shed in England listening to England's albums for three days in a row now amongst the potting plants, and I never tire of hearing them, and being derivative of Genesis and Yes is a positively good thing to my eyes and ears. Smile
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 06:04
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

I've been in the Garden Shed in England listening to England's albums for three days in a row now amongst the potting plants, and I never tire of hearing them, and being derivative of Genesis and Yes is a positively good thing to my eyes and ears. Smile
To be fair they do a very classy job of it, more so than most of these acts that never quite get out from under their influences.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 06:08
^ I'm currently listening to England's albums in sequence in this thread, and so the final England song I listen to will be "Fine Alley" Smile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 12:46
I have Garden Shed and Jubblies....good music and though I have listened to them many times it never quite 
reaches me as well as I think it should. 
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 13:42
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I have Garden Shed and Jubblies....good music and though I have listened to them many times it never quite 
reaches me as well as I think it should. 
I listened to The Last of the Jubblies  for the very first time today, and I fell instantly in love with England's Lovely-Jubbly album. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 29 2020 at 09:33
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>