Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Covid-19 Invitational Tournament-Heavy Hitters #2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Covid-19 Invitational Tournament-Heavy Hitters #2

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these big name bands have release a new song worthy of radio?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [11.76%]
3 [17.65%]
2 [11.76%]
10 [58.82%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Covid-19 Invitational Tournament-Heavy Hitters #2
    Posted: July 28 2020 at 07:31
Thank you to everyone who participated in the first round of this tourney.  The feedback has been pretty good and hopes are that people are being introduced to new music released in the past three years that they may not otherwise have heard.  This next group of five bands are the second batch of big name prog bands that have released new albums.  I've selected five songs that I think could possibly achieve radio success in my alternative fantasy reality where people actually listen to progressive rock bands.  You have probably heard of all of these veteran bands and possibly heard all of these songs, but if not, I hope that you enjoy them.

Anyhow, check them out here:

If you missed the first round and would like to check out the bands and vote check out the other Covid Invitational Tournament polls in the Polls section of the Forum.

Edited by rushfan4 - July 28 2020 at 07:40
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 08:51
Tough one . . .

Mr. Hackett just ahead of BBT.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 09:03
For radio success I choose BBT.

This was just released last week. Think it also has potential as a mainstream hit.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 11:36
I haven't heard that album yet, but it is on my to get list.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 11:41
Though I wouldn't say any of the songs set my world on fireWink, I found the Lunatic Soul song pleasant. Mariusz Duda is an excellent singer, and his vocals add interest to the song. On the other hand, I was expecting to like the ELO song much more than I did, but was disappointed.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 12:54
Not going to comment on these one by one, as I do know all of them, this time around.  BUT I love Lunatic Soul and Mariusz Duda.  And am particularly a fan of Big Big Train.  But I wouldn't kick any of these bands out of my collection. Editing....because I didn't take this one in quite the spirit it was intended.  I am going to go back and listen to all and speak more to the poll question, when I've had a chance.  

Edited by Snicolette - July 28 2020 at 18:04
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 17:43
Hackett for me. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 20:12
BBT
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 06:04
Steve Hackett.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 08:22
Although I personally prefer Mariusz's song, think that BBT would have more chance at being a "hit" in alternative world.  Both are actually optimistic, however, but BBT's more obviously so.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 08:41
The Pineapple Thief and Lunatic Soul: Nice songs, but a bit too monotonous to my taste (and to that of I wider audience, I guess).
Steve Hackett: Great song, you here the songwriting skills of Hackett, but it doesn't deliver real surprises.
Jeff Lynne: Can he do something else than that?

So, for me it's Big Big Train: Great song that also has the catchy-ness to appeal to a wider audience.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 08:54
In hopes of introducing new music from the past three years to PAers and trying to get some more interest in this tournament and getting some more votes, I am bumping the Heavy Hitter threads from the first three rounds.  I will be ending the first round at the end of August so I am really hoping for some more participation.  I believe that many of those who have participated have discovered at least one good new song in each batch. Give it a shot, maybe you too will find something that you like!
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 09:37
Some cool stuff here. Went with Pineapple Thief. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 09:27
The Train has a Big Big lead...can the other artists hack it?  Give them a listen and then give them a vote.  This poll will remain open for 8 more days and then I will move on to the 2nd round.
 Post Reply Post Reply