Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Covid-19 Invitational Tourn-Ladies of the Road #2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Covid-19 Invitational Tourn-Ladies of the Road #2

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Do these ladies have what it takes to make you want to sing along?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [18.18%]
1 [9.09%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [9.09%]
7 [63.64%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Covid-19 Invitational Tourn-Ladies of the Road #2
    Posted: July 29 2020 at 08:52
It is once again the ladies' turn to step up to the mic in my little tournament.  Which one of these songs do you think could have mainstream success in my alternative fantasy world where prog artists are played on mainstream radio?

Rush tribute band releases their own material.

Izz vocalist goes solo.

Post-rock band from Korea.  K-Prog? LOL

ex-American Idol contestant in a Prog band.

Mariana Semkina makes her second appearance in her main band.

Happy listening!  

Voting is still open in the other Covid Invitational Polls, so check them out in the Prog Polls section if you haven't done so already.  Cheers!

Edited by rushfan4 - July 29 2020 at 08:59
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 09:40
The most mainstream to my ears is YYNOT. I have a friend who knows the bass player. Small world. Laura has a beautiful voice, love her work in Izz, decent song but, radio hit? Jambinai and District 97 don't light my fire. Mariana has a killer voice but this song is too mellow for me and I don't see it on the alternate universe radio.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 09:44
District 97 for me, I've always loved Leslie's voice......
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 09:44
Thanks for putting these up!
- You would guess that District 97 is not for me. And I have the impression that the singer tries hard to sound very diverse, which by moments becomes irritating...
- Jambinai, K-post-garage-prog. Too many ideas and not enough good musicians to execute them. Sorry.
- Laura Meade: Very much like her voice, a bit less the ukelele. Might be interesting to listen to more of the album.

I hesitate between Iamthemorning and YYNot. The first is a very beautiful, rather quiet song; the second a very classic song - in structure - with great playing and singing. Haven't heard the new Iamthemorning album yet, but I surely will, but my choice between these two songs is decided by your alternative-fantasy-world-criterion: my vote goes to YYNot.

Edited by suitkees - July 29 2020 at 10:02

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 09:55
YYNot: A decent one. I came to appreciation as the song went on. Not strong enough to beat the best two in this field.
Laura Meade: The vocals are fine, but the instruments should have been tuned before recording this one. The song itself leaves me cold. One thing I can say in defense of this one: it is short.
Jambinai: I am not audiophile enough to cringe on this one, and not snake enough to be shawm-charmed either. Nuff said.
District 97: This band has reached to a top 5 of my AotY list before and I like this one more than a bit. An American Idol contender? All's well that dries up well.
Iamthemorning: Sounds like Kate Bush with 5/8 as the added value. Should go to the next round. No Russian interference in the voting needed.

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 11:41
I have to go with iamthemorning, the collaboration is just so stellar with just about everything they've put out.  Most "hits" have a rockier feel, but this would touch the Tori Amos nerve for those who enjoy that sort of thing, I think and she did pretty well in the 90's.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 12:24
Frankly, I think all could make it. However, my vote goes to Iamthemorning.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 12:42
I was already familiar with the Jambinai song, and would have voted for it, but the iamthemorning song did make a positive impression, so it got my vote.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 13:44
I'm back on the sidelines with this one. :p 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 15:33
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Thanks for putting these up!
- You would guess that District 97 is not for me. And I have the impression that the singer tries hard to sound very diverse, which by moments becomes irritating...
- Jambinai, K-post-garage-prog. Too many ideas and not enough good musicians to execute them. Sorry.
- Laura Meade: Very much like her voice, a bit less the ukelele. Might be interesting to listen to more of the album.

I hesitate between Iamthemorning and YYNot. The first is a very beautiful, rather quiet song; the second a very classic song - in structure - with great playing and singing. Haven't heard the new Iamthemorning album yet, but I surely will, but my choice between these two songs is decided by your alternative-fantasy-world-criterion: my vote goes to YYNot.

I really enjoy Laura Meade's voice and I think that her new solo album is really good.  This track is probably actually the best off of it, and it was her 1st single release but it was too long for my polls.

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 01:50
Very enjoyable song, indeed. But, strangely, I like her second voice better than her first voice on this song... Will explore her album, though. I have two IZZ albums here, but didn't listen to them lately; will do that soon, too.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 10:19
Another poll that can use more love and participation.  Give these songs a listen and add your votes.  This poll will remain open until the end of the month.  The more participant the better!!!!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 15:19
Stuck inside due to Covid??? Here are some Ladies to sing some songs to you.
 Post Reply Post Reply