Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

King Crimson - Thrak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: King Crimson - Thrak
    Posted: July 29 2020 at 14:47
Believe it or not I never heard this album until I listened to it for the very first time last night(I just recently orded it online on cd). Wow, I definitely waited too long. It's not quite on par with their earlier albums although it might be better than islands and beat at least. 

I had actually heard some of these songs before because someone made me a mixed King Crimson tape back in the very early 2000's and some were on it. Also, I saw the tour back in 1995 with my brother(who was maybe a moderate KC fan at best although he did enjoy the show from what I remember). 

So over all this is a very good disc. I'll maybe spin it again this weekend. I can't say it's better than the final two albums because I need to hear those again also actually but it's probably at least better than TCoL.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 15:32
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Believe it or not I never heard this album until I listened to it for the very first time last night(I just recently orded it online on cd). Wow, I definitely waited too long. It's not quite on par with their earlier albums although it might be better than islands and beat at least. 

I had actually heard some of these songs before because someone made me a mixed King Crimson tape back in the very early 2000's and some were on it. Also, I saw the tour back in 1995 with my brother(who was maybe a moderate KC fan at best although he did enjoy the show from what I remember). 

So over all this is a very good disc. I'll maybe spin it again this weekend. I can't say it's better than the final two albums because I need to hear those again also actually but it's probably at least better than TCoL.

Sweet Bro!!! I rather like the album.......

Don't fret too much over not hearing till now, I have never heard any Beatles albums in full, only snipets on the radio then I change the station. Clap
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 15:58
LOL

Yeah, I know how you feel about the Beatles or the "not so fab four" as you might call them. ;)
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 16:35
I am a big fan of the Fripp-Belew-Levin-Bruford quartet before and love all their three albums Discipline, Beat, and Three of a Perfect Pair. I rate Thrak a bit below them, but that's still very high (I know some people hate the Discipline period and particularly Beat, but in this post my own reference frame rules). 

Actually I believe Thrak was a good step at the time, a development of their concept that made sense. The double trio had a distinctive own sound and was well connected to both the Discipline lineup and the earlier material from the seventies. It's a quite adventurous album but has rather catchy highlights, too. Dinosaur is still a winner.

Edited by Lewian - July 29 2020 at 16:36
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 16:46
I can’t read this album title without picturing Mike Tyson trying to say “Track”
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 17:29
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I can’t read this album title without picturing Mike Tyson trying to say “Track”

Oh man, now I'm picturing that in my head. LOL 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 17:33
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I am a big fan of the Fripp-Belew-Levin-Bruford quartet before and love all their three albums Discipline, Beat, and Three of a Perfect Pair. I rate Thrak a bit below them, but that's still very high (I know some people hate the Discipline period and particularly Beat, but in this post my own reference frame rules). 

Actually I believe Thrak was a good step at the time, a development of their concept that made sense. The double trio had a distinctive own sound and was well connected to both the Discipline lineup and the earlier material from the seventies. It's a quite adventurous album but has rather catchy highlights, too. Dinosaur is still a winner.

Well, I have a longer history with those three(the 80's albums)although for some reason I never listened to Beat as much as I should. 

Thrak might be middle of the pack KC but even that means it's pretty darn good. 

Anyway, I'm in the process of buying(or in some cases)rebuying the KC catalog. I regrettably sold many cds years ago and so now am trying to go back and undo the damage so to speak. I picked up the first two again several years ago and now have my work cut out for me. I skipped to this one early on in my rebuying endeavor since I never heard it before. I'll probably pass on most of the live albums though.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 29 2020 at 17:34
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 01:51
THRAK is potentially my favorite KC record. Finally listened to it when Fripp put his stuff on streaming services last year. I enjoyed the last two studio albums as well.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 01:58
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

My opinion exactly! I personally love those 3 early 80's KC albums. THRAK never clicked. I think I have an irrational bias towards bands from the 70's releasing sh*t in the 90's, IDK why. It always has that "this is late to the party" feel that ruins it for me, lmao.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 02:09
Better than Islands? No way. I've never understood the lack of love for Islands.

Better than the 80's trio of albums? Certainly better that TOAPP and Beat, at least on a par with Discipline. Thrak is a solid album. I prefer it to Power to Believe.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 02:43
My least favorite KC, but I'd still give it a 3.25. In a way I wish the double trio made more albums to work on the concept a bit. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 03:37
Don't know if it's "better" or not, and I don't care (music is not an absolute science, anyway). But on my list of all KC-albums it ends high in preference. Sometimes I prefer to listen to THRAK, other times I prefer to listen to Red (or another album). Islands and Discipline are the albums that I listen less frequently to, but that doesn't mean I don't like them.
Beat, Three of a Perfect Pair and The Power to Believe get also regular spins. I like that more song oriented material alternating with those dinosaurs...

Regarding Belew, I suppose you know his Side One, Two & Three albums. If one likes ThRAK, I think he will also like these albums (several dinosaurs hopping around through them...).

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
 Post Reply Post Reply