Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An Audience with AUDIENCE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 14:23
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

There was a rumour that after Jim Morrison died, the rest of the Doors were keen to have Howard Werth as a replacement! Don't know if its true or if he did indeed have a 'try out' for them!! Blimey, can you imagine!!?

I love Audience too.. I don't think Werth's Voice is everyones cup of tea but I really like it and the fact that he only ever played an amplified nylon string guitar and never succumbed to steel strings or electric guitars.. well not in Audience, anyway..

I quite dig the Howard Werth and the Moonbeams lp 'King brilliant'!
It took me awhile to get used to the sound of Howard Werth's nasal twang too, but I love it now. Smile

On the subject of The Doors, how about The Doors of the 21st Century, where Jim Morrison's spirit is still alive and kickin' in this amazing concert performance.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 09:07
An Audience appearance on The Old Grey Whistle Test from 1972.

Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 12:24
Great Band!! they opening for King Crimson several times in 1969/1970

My favorite is their debut
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 12:36
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

Great Band!! they opening for King Crimson several times in 1969/1970

My favorite is their debut
Audience were a great band who completely passed me by in the 1970's, so I should have paid more attention to the Old Grey Whistle Test. Smile
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 14:20
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

An Audience appearance on The Old Grey Whistle Test from 1972.

Great, cheers PaulClap! 2 tracks from their last lp 'Lunch'.. good to see Nicky Judd on Piano but i think Keith Gemmell had possibly jumped ship by then (i think he joined Stackridge..) so i guess thats Bobby Keys on Tenor Sax. I think overall Audience suffered the same fate as Family and Stackridge; however much they tried, promoters and producers just couldnt pigeon-hole them.. they really were unique sounding and refused to be classified and as such were rather a 'Marmite' act. Personally i think Howard werth had one of the best voices in English 1970's rock (but then i think Roger Chapman is one of the best vocalists this country produced too)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 15:21
^ Cheers! I've always thought the band deserved a wider Audience. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12