Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 7 Genesis Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2022 at 14:08
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Here's my Top 7 to get the poll underway:-

1. Selling England by the Pound (12 points)
2. Foxtrot (8 points)
3. Nursery Cryme (6 points)
4. Trespass (4 points)
5. A Trick of the Tail (3 points)
6. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (2 points)
7. Wind & Wuthering (1 point)

I'm not really able to rank the Genesis albums I'm fond of, but I can tell that yours first four are the only four I surely like. Smile

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2022 at 14:14
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Here's my Top 7 to get the poll underway:-

1. Selling England by the Pound (12 points)
2. Foxtrot (8 points)
3. Nursery Cryme (6 points)
4. Trespass (4 points)
5. A Trick of the Tail (3 points)
6. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (2 points)
7. Wind & Wuthering (1 point)

I'm not really able to rank the Genesis albums I'm fond of, but I can tell that yours first four are the only four I surely like. Smile

Before I went online in 2010 I'd never even listened to a Genesis album. Embarrassed
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2022 at 15:52

Before I went online in 2010 I'd never even listened to a Genesis album. Embarrassed

That sounds quite incredible, knowing that you were fond of some Prog already in the 70's. Big smile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2022 at 21:14
I see I had The Lamb at number six on my list when I did this two years ago. However, I think the craziness of it fits in better with the world these days (especially over the past two years) so I would probably bump it up a few spots if I were to do it again. Tongue

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 06 2022 at 21:15
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2022 at 00:49

That sounds quite incredible, knowing that you were fond of some Prog already in the 70's. Big smile
The only prog bands I remember listening to in the 1970's were Barclay James Harvest, Camel and Renaissance. I didn't buy my first Pink Floyd album until The Turn of the Century and I only had one YES album on vinyl: 90210. Embarrassed
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2022 at 03:28

The only prog bands I remember listening to in the 1970's were Barclay James Harvest, Camel and Renaissance. I didn't buy my first Pink Floyd album until The Turn of the Century and I only had one YES album on vinyl: 90210. Embarrassed

Wow that’s a stunning revelation. I’d didn’t see that coming. But I have to say that I didn’t listen or have any Camel in the 70’s came to them about the mid 80’s.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2022 at 10:36

I've given it a new try with listening to the whole Lamb, and I can say that I now like it enough to consider
it as one of the albums I'm fond of. Tongue
Btw, I find it amazing how different this album is from the earlier ones.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2022 at 11:11

I've given it a new try with listening to the whole Lamb, and I can say that I now like it enough to consider
Side 1 is The Lamb with added mint sauce, whereas Side 2 of The Lamb sounds rather plain by comparison with no additional flavourings, although it still sounds better than any of Genesis' 1980's albums. Smile
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2022 at 13:10

<span style="white-space:pre">     </span>I've given it a new try with listening to the whole Lamb, and I can say that I now like it enough to consider
<span style="white-space:pre">     </span>it as one of the albums I'm fond of. Tongue
<span style="white-space:pre">     </span>Btw, I find it amazing how different this album is from the earlier ones.

Side 1 is The Lamb with added mint sauce, whereas Side 2 of The Lamb sounds rather plain by comparison with no additional flavourings, although it still sounds better than any of Genesis' 1980's albums. Smile

Our PP is pushing against an open door
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2022 at 13:16
1.Selling England by the £
2.Foxtrot/Nursery Cryme
4.TLLDOB/ATOFT/W&W/ Trespass
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2022 at 14:35

What I can say today is that Genesis together with ELP are the two bands which next after Pink Floyd have released most albums I like, and that is 5 each. Pink Floyd 8-9 or maybe even more, but I have 6 today in my collection. Tongue
shantidas View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shantidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2022 at 15:01
1 Foxtrot
2 Selling England
3 Nursery Crime
4 A trick of the tail
the rest is average, mish mash to me
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2022 at 01:57
7. And Than There Where Three.
6. Duke
5. Nursery Crymes
4. Trespass
3. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
2. Selling England By The Pound
1. Foxtrot
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2022 at 02:30
Top 7 update with Shantidas & Geekfreak's votes added:-

1. Selling England by the Pound (339 points)
2. Foxtrot (294 points)
3. Nursery Cryme (210 points)
4. A Trick of the Tail (203 points)
5. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (191 points)
6. Trespass (99 points)
7. Wind & Wuthering (83 points)
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2022 at 10:16

I guess, influenced by Glam Rock, and even more on Trick.

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2022 at 10:29

Funny, I've always considered Sides 3 & 4 of The Lamb as examples of that oh-so-rare feat: a "near-perfect" side of music. There have been many many occasions on which I'll only play them--as much as I love "Fly on a Windshield" through "Cuckoo Cocoon" and "Counting Out Time". "The Waiting Room" through "Silent Sorrows" (with my all-time favorite Genesis song, "The Lamia") and "Ravine" through "It" are among my favorite Genesis passages of all-Time!

P.S. The Lamb  also just happens to be my favorite album of all-time.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2022 at 11:23
^ I listened to Side 2 of The Lamb again last night but still couldn't really get into it. I think Genesis should have released it as a single album by giving Side 2 of The Lamb the chop. Tongue
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2022 at 11:32

How do you figure about Trick?? Confused

I can easily see it with Lamb and the storyline of a NY punk and the presence of Eno, but Trick is back where Selling England left off.

I'd have to find my edited version track list to make The Lamb a single album, but nothing from side 4 would fselected for it.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2022 at 12:56

^ I listened to Side 2 of The Lamb again last night but still couldn't really get into it. I think Genesis should have released it as a single album by giving Side 2 of The Lamb the chop. Tongue

LOL

Well, that's a point of view to have, even I don't quite understand why you're only talking about side 1 and 2 if you're referring to this whole double album.

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2022 at 13:04
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

How do you figure about Trick?? Confused

It seems to me less complex, more light mooded, more rythmic, shorter songs, more hard-edged and yet more Pop-influenced than the earlier albums.

Edited by David_D - October 08 2022 at 14:31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>