Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Prog box sets are actually worthwhile?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 18:25
I only have two. I have the yesyears boxed set and an ELP boxed set. Both are from around the early 90's and are both halfway decent. My brother gave me the ELP boxed set as a birthday present I think(maybe christmas)and I think the Yes boxed set was also a present. I had the supernatural fairy tales one also but as I mentioned earlier I sold it. 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2020 at 23:24
This one was worth every penny that I didn't spend on it! 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 07:34
I bought the 7CD box set of Stern-Combo Meissen new for $42 USD. That's $6 apiece. Out of the 7 albums, I think there are 4 good ones, so $10.50 for each still isn't too bad. A couple of albums (Nachte and Taufrisch) -- although they aren't prog, are still good 80's synth pop. Well done, in fact. So all in all, I think it was a pretty good deal, especially for albums that are hard to find.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 15:04
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

So my question for everyone here is this: what prog (or even non-prog or prog adjacent artists) box sets are actually worthwhile and don't just contain a bunch of filler that you're either only going to listen to once, or just never touch (terrible quality live recordings, demos, a million bonus tracks). I own the Yes Steven Wilson Remix vinyl box set and that was definitely worth every penny. I'm interested in the Black Sabbath vinyl box set as well, but for this question box sets of any format are welcome.

"Vinyl" box sets are not worthwhile unless you have money to burn. Tongue  I think my first box set was ELP's Return Of Manticore.  The first disc was new recordings of new stuff.  The other discs were mostly stuff that wasn't available on CD at that time with some unreleased stuff thrown in.  It was a good purchase and I wouldn't sell it off to this day.

The Jethro Tull remix book boxes are most excellent.

So I would say as long as you don't insist on "vinyl" box sets (I will not buy this record, it is scratched).  There is a lot of good stuff out there.  In fact more than I can afford even if I had money to spare.

Final thought how many 5.1 surround sound remixes by Steven Wilson have you enjoyed in the LP format? 

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 03 2020 at 15:07
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 15:17
I plan on eventually getting the Genesis 67-75 box and two Yes boxed sets(the word is live and in a word). If I ever buy a turntable maybe the Yes SW remixes also since there is a box set for that too(it's only on vinyl apparently though).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 03 2020 at 15:18
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 01:28
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

It depends on your bank account and level of fanhood. For big fans, a collection of rarities would be valuable but not for the more casual fan. For example, as a major Tull-Skull, I find Nightcap highly worthwhile - it has the entire Chateaux D'Saster tapes, which provides a foundation for both A Passion Play and War Child. It also has an entire discs worth of previously unreleased tracks. Sometimes the label discounts the value of such collections by putting unreleased rarities on new editions of individual albums. I am not so big on Queensryche, however, so a best of collection satisfies me. Value lies in what you are interested in, not the price of a collection.

Nightcap actually misses a number of tracks from the Chateau D'Isaster tapes. On Nightcap, Anderson in the early '90s remixed and overdubbed his flute on a large number of tracks; which on first hearing I did not mind, until I heard Steven Wilson's 2013 remix of ALL Chateau D'Isaster tape tracks in the 40th anniversary A Passion Play: An Extended Performance Box. He got rid of Anderson's overdubbed flute and cut back on the reverb to make an brilliant new album; sounding as fresh as it did when it was recorded back in late 1972.

The extra tracks from Chateau D'Isaster tape tracks in the 40th anniversary A Passion Play: An Extended Performance Box, which are not found on Nightcap are: The Big Top, Skating Away On The Thin Ice Of The New Day (almost identical to War Child, with a few differences), Sailor, Only Solitaire (again from War Child with remixing differences), Critique Oblique - Part 1, Critique Oblique - Part 2 (so the Complete Critique Oblique sans flute), Animelee 1st Dance (Instrumental) and Animelee 2nd Dance (Instrumental).

The order of the tracks in Wilson's remix also make the flow of the album so much better than the Nightcap truncated version.

Edited by BarryGlibb - August 04 2020 at 01:30
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 04:50
Strawbs box set is awesome. So is KC's Great Deceiver.
PROGMATIC
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 16:04
I really love DVD Audio/Blu-Ray boxes and tend to gravitate toward those.

NOTE: some CD box sets included here:

I really like the SW remixes of Tull and Yes (especially TAAB and Tales; Relayer has issues), The Yes Progeny box, The King Crimson 40th Anniversary remixes, the Genesis boxes, and the Beatles complete box. The Hackett Total Experience box is incredible. The Pink Floyd Immersion boxes are of variable quality. The Sgt. Pepper box is revealing-the clarity brings out new detail.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 16:06
Didn't Caravan have one back in the 90's called "Canterbury Tales" or was that just more of a double compilation cd? Same thing with "Echoes" by Camel. Box set probably implies at least four discs I think.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 03:23
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I plan on eventually getting the Genesis 67-75 box and two Yes boxed sets(the word is live and in a word). If I ever buy a turntable maybe the Yes SW remixes also since there is a box set for that too(it's only on vinyl apparently though).

The Genesis box set is one of the best things ever Thumbs Up
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 08:50
Just ordered the Dream Theater 1993-2011 boxset (Images-Dramatic Turns). Paid 46$, i'd say it was worth it Smile
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questionsneverknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 15:58
< ="WebKit-mso-list-quirks-style">

For good or bad, I have a box set addiction.

There’s such a wide array out there—from simple repackaging of commonly available material to treasure troves of rare goodies. I tip toward the latter.

Are they worth it? A lot of that probably depends on how obsessive you are as a fan of a particular group, or just how obsessive you are as a person (guilty!). I genuinely love the descend-into-the-archive feel of some of these.

Some faves:

·      The King Crimson mega live boxes—like Sailors Tales, Starless and Heaven + Earth

·      The Jethro Tull album reissues with Steven Wilson remixes

·      Caravan The World is Yours

·      Magma’s live box Kohnzert Zund

·      Henry Cow box (this and the previous one if and only if you are really obsessive and want the exhaustive/exhausting experience)

·      The Pink Floyd Early Years sets

·      Residents Preserved reissues [not sure if I count these as boxes or not—though the Mole box definitely is, but they are certainly rich in archival treats]

Just ordered the Tangerine Dream set based on the recs here.

It’s a sickness; it really is.

The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 14:35
This is a rather silly question and if you have bought any just toss them all into the trash.  Or I would take them as a donation. Tongue 
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 14:50
The Yes box set of studio albums from 1969 to 1987 is great, although the packaging is a bit flimsy. I’m an old school jewel case kind of person.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 15:43
If you don't own all the albums. Both of these are outstanding.

Bill Bruford Earthworks - Complete Deluxe Boxset

Allan Holdsworth - The Man Who Changed Guitar Forever!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 22:39
I don't know so many of these, but I really enjoyed Pink Floyd's The Early Years set (though I got them separately about a year later, when they got less expensive). So many great live versions that are much better than the studio ones, and a good deal of live video footage. Too bad it actually has a good deal of filler that I won't easily come back for, and that surely was used mostly to increase the price. I believe they could have released a Barret's era lost album with all the singles that were never used in a studio album, as well as a Gilmour era lost album too with their un-used early songs. And then, they could have released a few live albums, as well as a few live DVD's (mostly in a compilation format, I guess). That would have made them better for coming back to them. As it is, I just ripped my favourite songs to my IPod, and that's where I keep on enjoying them. Now, there's the new Later Years box-set, which has a good deal of stuff that I want too, but it's way too expensive for what it is, I think (just about as expensive as the Early Years one, with less material covered and less CD's included). And I still don't understand how there's just about any footage and live recordings from their Dark Side - The Wall years, just some of the biggest years for any rock band, and they recorded just about nothing live? It's just incredible... I would just love to have a DVD of the Animals tour.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 09:33
Los Van Der Graaf's The Box.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 22:59
My two faves:

Tangerine Dream - In Search of Hades  (monumental box set, totally worth it)

Jethro Tull - 20 Years of Jethro Tull  (great set, lots of previously unreleased tracks)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 02:06
I want the Tangerine Dream box set - Pilots of Purple Twilight (1980-1983). However the price of over £100 is troubling me though as its only 10 discs (8 fewer than In Search Of Hades) yet the price is very similar. Has to be a hard pass unfortunately.
TheUniversalMigrator View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheUniversalMigrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 02:25
I've seen some of the footage off of the In Search of Hades box set. It's got some really cool footage of TD in their recording studio just jamming out. It's a good one. I highly recommend the In Search of Hades box set.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>