Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

YES - Talk (1994)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 07:01
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ No, not really, I was just jesting with you, but I DID buy the first ELP album and later gave it away.Smile
Understandable if you expected Saturday Night Fever done ELP-style........
I like the album enough to spin it a couple times a year (had it for more than 30 years...)

Yes, I thought ELP's Love Beach was a Bee Gees album when I first saw the album cover. Smile
So did they
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 07:09
^ That's an interesting thought: ELP as the "Beach Gees" - a Bee Gees tribute band. Smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 07:12

^ That's an interesting thought: ELP as the "Beach Gees" - a Bee Gees tribute band. Smile
I think Carl Palmer referred to the album photo as them looking like the Bee Gees !!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 07:19

I think Carl Palmer referred to the album photo as them looking like the Bee Gees !!

I'm not surprised, and it's good to hear Carl Palmer could see the funny side of the "Beach Gees" album cover. Smile
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 10:54

Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

I really like the first movement (AKA the first two minutes) of the Endless Dream suite, the rest of the album is a sea of boredom Sleepy
Oh well, C'est la Vie, as we say in England. I suppose a sea of boredom is better than a whole Topographic Ocean of boredom though. Smile

Right you are, I promise I'll stop being such a sourpuss in your Yes threads from now on LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 11:19

I really like the first movement (AKA the first two minutes) of the Endless Dream suite, the rest of the album is a sea of boredom Sleepy
Oh well, C'est la Vie, as we say in England. I suppose a sea of boredom is better than a whole Topographic Ocean of boredom though. Smile

Right you are, I promise I'll stop being such a sourpuss in your Yes threads from now on LOL
You're not a sourpuss. Life would soon get dull and boring here if we all liked the same albums. Smile
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 11:54
Always liked Talk very much since it came out, and I am still listening to it regularly. In my ears much better than BG (less consistent) and on par with 90125 (although back in 1983 this was a bigger surprise than Talk in 1994). Maybe not in the top 7 of my preferred Yes-albums, but it's not far from it.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 11:58
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Always liked Talk very much since it came out, and I am still listening to it regularly. In my ears much better than BG (less consistent) and on par with 90125 (although back in 1983 this was a bigger surprise than Talk in 1994). Maybe not in the top 7 of my preferred Yes-albums, but it's not far from it.
The more I listen to the Talk album, the more I like it. I initially gave it four stars but I've now upgraded it to a full five stars and second only to The Ladder in my Top 7 list of Yes albums. Smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 11:50
I really like "I Am Waiting", the best song of the Rabin-era imo and the rest of the album is good. Not a five star album in any way compared to earlier ones but I'd probably place it in the 3.5 to 4 star bracket.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 12:51
I love Endless Dream, easily my favourite song from the West line-up, and just as good as anything they did in their peak. However, I don't really care for the rest of the album... if I want some Rabin sounding Yes songs, then it's mostly Owner of a Lonely Heart and Hold on what I will be wanting to hear.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 12:54

^ Don’t ‘doubt’ until you’ve heard it Paul. It’s very good indeed.

To be honest, I've never been a big fan of ELP. I bought the Love Beach album because I liked the cover, but I gave the album away because the music didn't live up to the promise of the album cover. Smile

Still, if you can, give Black Moon a listen. It doesn't sound like your typical ELP... actually, if you only knew ELP for their classic albums, and heard this one without knowing it was them, you might not even notice. And if you like the way Talk was made, you might just as well like the other (actually, aside from Endless Dream, I think Black Moon is a better album, and I much prefer Yes over ELP).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 13:08
^ I have some good news on the ELP front - I found their first self-titled  album on CD in my local charity shop today for the bargain price of just £1, so I couldn't resist buying the album again, even though I gave it away to a charity shop several years ago. Smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 13:38

^ I have some good news on the ELP front - I found their first self-titled  album on CD in my local charity shop today for the bargain price of just £1, so I couldn't resist buying the album again, even though I gave it away to a charity shop several years ago. Smile

Was it the same charity shop? Did you just buy back your own CD?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 13:50
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Was it the same charity shop? Did you just buy back your own CD?
It wasn't the same charity shop, but it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that I've bought back my own CD. I'm just hoping I'll enjoy listening to ELP's debut again more than I did the first time around. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 05 2020 at 13:51
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 15:04
^ even if you did buy back your old cd its all for a good cause, eh Paul Wink

Wasn't 'Talk' more of a Trevor Rabin project? I think he played lots of the instruments (Guitars, Keyboards and backing vocals, percussion) and the rest just added their parts? I seem to remember reading that it just happened that way out of circumstance rather than planning? Not sure, might be talking nonsense again..Embarrassed

I like Talk.. there are bits I love and it is a different animal to any of the other Yes albums ever made but somehow for me it occasionally lacks something.. a bit of spark? Not sure.. It kicks off with a great track and ends with a great track but just sags a little in the middle..

Edited by Cosmiclawnmower - August 05 2020 at 15:06

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 16:11
^ Yes, the Talk album was recorded, mixed & produced by Trevor Rabin at his home studio in Los Angeles.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 17:21
'I am waiting' for 'the calling' of 'the endless dream'. Only 'real love' can tear down 'walls' and 'where will you be?' A 'state of play' to remember yet another day.

Not great. I'll rate it 2.75 stars. Paul, your enthusiasm gets 4.25.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 23:39
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

'I am waiting' for 'the calling' of 'the endless dream'. Only 'real love' can tear down 'walls' and 'where will you be?' A 'state of play' to remember yet another day.

Not great. I'll rate it 2.75 stars. Paul, your enthusiasm gets 4.25.

Thanks. I heard Talk from other Yes fans that Talk was a really good album, and I wasn't disappointed when I heard the album for the first time just a few days ago. Talk has now gained the Keys to Ascension into my Top 7 Yes albums list and it's Close to the Edge of being my favourite Yes album, just underneath The Ladder. Smile
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 16:32

every guitarist loves state of play with rabins intro .
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 16:42
Underrated album. Very entertaining throughout. I still haven’t heard Union or Open Your Eyes, but I’m inclined to say that every Yes album is worth having.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>