FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SACD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SACD
    Posted: August 05 2020 at 17:32
Yeah man. I dabble. :)

Rockin an OPPO BDP 83 for the surround option. I mostly use the cd layer if the SACD is a hybrid dual layer.
honestly the MOFI label is my favourite and for the discs that I have the mastering is absolutely amazing and holds far more weight than original Cd releases.

As Jose (catcher 10) said content is very limited, however there are some good ones out there!
Try and grab the RUSH ones. Compare those to the original cd release. It is night and day, especially on a high end system. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 20:42
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. @Catcher10, my current amp's DAC can decode DSD 5.6 MHz so I may search out some high quality files first to see if it's worth while, but I suppose any music is only as good as its source. 

Spot on....I have a few that are poor at best regarding DSD256, the digital transfer and mastering is nothing better than a CD redbook file. Those are a waste of money...of course the other thing is almost nothing is available in the prog genre.
Some people simply rip their CDs and upsample to DSD quality when saving and claim better resolution playback. I'm more of a purist, this kind of stuff to me is like manufacturing sound.

Have fun!
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 12:04
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. @Catcher10, my current amp's DAC can decode DSD 5.6 MHz so I may search out some high quality files first to see if it's worth while, but I suppose any music is only as good as its source. 
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 09:59
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

Hi. Just wondering if anyone dabbles with SACDs. I'm toying with the idea, but content seems very limited and some of the players are very expensive. Thoughts and opinions welcomed.
Available content is the main issue I have not added SACD to my system. I run a pretty high end system that is built for analog, but I have several hi-res digital files that made me think about adding it. An Oppo player would be the way to go as they play all disc formats, but Oppo closed up couple yrs ago, you can still find players online.
I would suggest investing in a high quality DAC that plays up to 32bit/384kHz and decodes up to DSD256, and just buy hi-resolution files. SACD only holds up to 24bit, which is really all you need but some of the DSD files I have are really excellent, it can be hit and miss. The DSD files are just as expensive as a SACD, in the $25-30 range.

Although for me nothing beats my analog source, LP records, especially from an immersion perspective. YMMV.....Choose wisely! LOL 
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 08:53
Hi. I am one dabbling with SACDs. I have a mid/high-end stereo tube SACD player (so no surround things) and I am very, very happy with it. But there is less and less music issued on SACD, since hi-res bluray is more widely accepted now (especially for the surround fans).
There are some very decent universal players, playing SACD, Bluray, DVD-Audio, CD, DVD... with good HiFi specifications (I am particularly thinking of the Yamaha BD-A series), but they won't necessarily beat the high-end SACD players. IMO, SACD has had it's time (if it has ever had it...). If you really want to have the high quality it is still something to consider when you already have a decent collection of SACDs, but it has its price tag (although there are some good second hand offerings).

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 07:48
In my opinion buying SACD player makes sense only if you have either multichannell system (amplifier or AV receiver and the set of speakers) or highest quality stereo setup (to hear the difference between high resolution signal from SACD and normal CD).
If these are not your cases you may buy hybrid SACDs (most of them are hybrid, i.e. have 2 layers: CD and hi-res SACD), they play on any CD, DVD or BD player.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 07:18
Hi. Just wondering if anyone dabbles with SACDs. I'm toying with the idea, but content seems very limited and some of the players are very expensive. Thoughts and opinions welcomed.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
 Post Reply Post Reply