Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog compass

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog compass
    Posted: August 03 2020 at 10:43
What do you think about it?

So don’t evade the surgeon’s blade
Cos the answer could be in your mind
Maybe one cut and we’ll find
We’re just a wavelength behind

But we are entwined

And I know what you need
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 10:51
Could you please define Dull and Enlightened.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
softandwet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 11:02
I think Dull would mean dark, gloomy, the bands and artists categorized as dull would be more likely to produce songs on dark theme and use a range of notes considered creepy or sad.
Enlightened would mean light-sided, the bands and artists categorized as enlightened would be more likely to produce heart-sided songs on lightey themes and use a range of notes considered happy/nice.

But we are entwined

And I know what you need
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 11:04
yeah, need to know the definition of the parameters. Does it mean Dull = downbeat/dark, enlightened = upbeat/happy
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 11:20
My prog compass is definitely in the yellow Soft & Enlightened box, as Genesis, Renaissance, Camel and Yes are all long-term favourites of mine. I don't know about Locanda delle Fate in the same box as I haven't heard of them before, but I'm sure I'd like them if I heard them. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 03 2020 at 11:21
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 11:29
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

My prog compass is definitely in the yellow Soft & Enlightened box, as Genesis, Renaissance, Camel and Yes are all long-term favourites of mine. I don't know about Locanda delle Fate in the same box as I haven't heard of them before, but I'm sure I'd like them if I heard them. Smile

They're not English, you'd hate them.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 11:33
I strongly tend towards the yellow in this chart, with green and blue following. I fit into the red a fair bit as well. Can I say I am slightly off-center? Most people who know me would agree to that. Wink I do not think 'dull' is the right term for the category, though. "Morose" might be more in line with 'enlightened,' but it is not my chart. I am glad 'dull' has been explained the way it is - makes much more sense now. Good work and an interesting approach. Thumbs Up
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 11:38
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

They're not English, you'd hate them.
Their bandname Locanda delle Fate gave me an indication they may not be English. Smile
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 11:41
Yeah maybe "dark" instead of "dull," and "light" or "light-hearted" instead of "enlightened." Either way, I'm dead center baby. No surprise I share it with my man FRANK. I also think GG should be slightly more to the left. Otherwise, cool idea!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 11:47
First thought, it's a Van der Graph Generator.

Second thought, no Amon Dull 2?

Third thought, where did you find this?

Fourth thought, I don't really know what to think other than this indicates that I'm a dull and unenlightened person (based on my preferences), and that may well be true but I don\t think it's true of the music.

Magma not falling under enlightened? To me the music is numinous and transcendent. Camel has often been called dull.

It shows terrible bias methinks and it needs more explanation. It looks silly to me.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 11:52
I'm all over the map.....a plethora of colors
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 11:56
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Fourth thought, I don't really know what to think other than this indicates that I'm a dull and unenlightened person (based on my preferences), and that may well be true but I don\t think it's true of the music.

Magma not falling under enlightened? To me the music is numinous and transcendent. Camel has often been called dull.

It shows terrible bias methinks and it needs more explanation. It looks silly to me.

Actually I did it myself! For some explanation, there, on this compass, are the bands that I particularly like, that's why you didn't see any Amon Dull II or, contrary wise, saw Locanda Delle Fate which is quite unknown you know.

But we are entwined

And I know what you need
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 11:59
I'm glad y'all reacted to it, negatively or positively, now I encourage y'all to do the same thing for your own hearted bands and post it on this thread!

But we are entwined

And I know what you need
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 12:03
I'm just relieved my prog compass didn't fall into the Dull & Hard category if my musical preferences are a reflection of my personality. I'd much rather be in the Soft & Enlightened category. Smile
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 12:21
where do bands like Gong, Hawkwind, Amon Düül II, Can or Embryo fit in your opinion?

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 13:51
Where does this fit in the compass?

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 15:34
Originally posted by softandwet softandwet wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Actually I did it myself! For some explanation, there, on this compass, are the bands that I particularly like, that's why you didn't see any Amon Dull II or, contrary wise, saw Locanda Delle Fate which is quite unknown you know.

Glad you made it.

Even though I looked through the thread, I was being dim (dull and unenlightened) before. "Thick" would be another word, Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick and myself could fit if you included a "thick" transversal. ;) I get what you're saying, dull meaning lacking brightness, enlightened meaning exhibiting light (rather than "spiritually" aware or hyper-rational and informed), soft meaning pleasant and subtle, and hard meaning having a harder edge, angular, and rigid. The Amon Dull thing is a joke on the chart as is Van der Graph... It's Amon Düül II. I might have added that Soft Machine should be in "hard" for another little joke.

It's a good graph now that I grasp it. Magma, depending on the music could fit all four quadrants, but then so could others. It can be happy, sad, soft and hard. It's quite eclectic. Koenji Hyakkei definitely can be ebullient, so I'd put it more at the centre of dull and enlightened, maybe into the enlightened side although it can be dark. I don;t expect that you know Shub-Niggurath, but that would be a good for very dark, dull side, and it can be sharp which could put it under hard (hard edged often in its way and difficult hard).

It is a neat idea. Sorry, I should have understood it better. It didn't take the time to look carefully or read through the topic properly where you explained. A slow day for me. I might have a go at some time with some of my favourites, but those will mostly fall on the dull side and on both hard and soft (soft cause I like lots of pastoral music). I might do it based on particular tracks and go outside Prog. For instance, Nick Drake's "Fruit Tree and "River Man" would fit dull and soft (very melancholy music as is much of my favourite music). Zappa I would put more on the enlightened side since what I like of his is often so fun and jolly. "Peaches en Regalia" and "Imaginary Diseases" are my faves of his, and I find them exciting and fun. A joy to listen to.

Edited by Logan - August 03 2020 at 15:40
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 15:50
I see how this works.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 15:53
So does Amon Duul II become Amon Dull II? ;)

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 03 2020 at 15:54
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 16:48
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

So does Amon Duul II become Amon Dull IIor;)

nope, most importantly because it is "Amon Düül II" with the umlaut "ü". it is a common mistake of native English speakers to think you can just leave out the dots above the umlauts "ä", "ö" and "ü", it won't make any difference. the best example is the difference between "ächten" (to ostracize) and "achten" (to respect). other examples for "ä" would be "währen" (to last) and "wahren" (to preserve) or "wägen" (to weigh) and "wagen" (to risk). examples for "ü" and "ö" are the differences between "lügen" (to lie, as in not telling the truth) and "lugen" (looking carefully out of a hiding place) or "spülen" (to rinse, to flush) and "spulen" (to reel) for "ü" or "lösen" (to solve) and "losen" (to draw lots) or "schön" (beautiful) and "schon" (already) for "ö"

Edited by BaldJean - August 03 2020 at 16:53

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>