Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog compass

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 16:51
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

So does Amon Duul II become Amon Dull IIor;)

nope, most importantly because it is "Amon Düül II" with the umlaut "ü". it is a common mistake of native English speakers to think you can just leave out the dots above the umlauts "ä", "ö" and "ü", it won't make any difference. the best example is the difference between "ächten" (to ostracize) and "achten" (to respect). another example would be "währen" (to last) and "wahren" (to preserve). examples for "ü" and "ö" are the differences between "lügen" (to lie, as in not telling the truth) and "lugen" (looking carefully out of a safe place) or "spülen" (to rinse, to flush) and "spulen" (to reel) for "ü" or "lösen" (to solve) and "losen" (to draw lots) or "schön" (beautiful) and "schon" (already) for "ö"

It's not so much that I intentionally left them out as it is that I'm just plain lazy. Tongue I didn't feel like looking them up. It's the same with Anglagard. I have searched online for umlauts before but I figure only a few nitpicky folks would make a big deal about it. Wink Typically it's more trouble than what it's worth. Thanks for the lesson regardless though. It's always good to learn new things. Smile 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 03 2020 at 16:52
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 17:23

nope, most importantly because it is "Amon Düül II" with the umlaut "ü". it is a common mistake of native English speakers to think you can just leave out the dots above the umlauts "ä", "ö" and "ü", it won't make any difference. the best example is the difference between "ächten" (to ostracize) and "achten" (to respect). another example would be "währen" (to last) and "wahren" (to preserve). examples for "ü" and "ö" are the differences between "lügen" (to lie, as in not telling the truth) and "lugen" (looking carefully out of a safe place) or "spülen" (to rinse, to flush) and "spulen" (to reel) for "ü" or "lösen" (to solve) and "losen" (to draw lots) or "schön" (beautiful) and "schon" (already) for "ö"

It's not so much that I intentionally left them out as it is that I'm just plain lazy. Tongue I didn't feel like looking them up. It's the same with Anglagard. I have searched online for umlauts before but I figure only a few nitpicky folks would make a big deal about it. Wink Typically it's more trouble than what it's worth. Thanks for the lesson regardless though. It's always good to learn new things. Smile

for future use:
  1. ä : Alt + 0228.
  2. ö : Alt + 0246.
  3. ü : Alt + 0252.
  4. Ä : Alt + 0196.
  5. Ö : Alt + 0214.
  6. Ü : Alt + 0220.

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 18:36
^Thank you very much Baldjean. Hopefully I can use them next time I mention a certain Swedish prog band from the 90's also. ;)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 18:48
^Nope. I just tried it and it didn't work. So if next time I have to mention one of these bands that requires an umlaut(I will just say umlauts acknowledged). Plus I'll just say AD2 and you'll know who I mean. If I am able to figure it out and it works on here then I will do so but if I'm not then please try not to get too angry about it. It's not meant to be disrespectful to you or the band or the language. ;) I will try again though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 18:50
^Ok, I think the problem was I wasn't using the number pad that is to the right of the main keyboard. ;)

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 03 2020 at 18:51
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 18:53
yep, you have to use the numeric keypad for the numbers

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 19:02
My tastes are definitely all over the board. I don't have any preference for any one section.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 19:19
I love the responses to this--as well as the premise behind it's inception! 

I definitely gravitate to center and away from the Green and away from the extreme eccentrics.

I think my quadrants would be titled something like:  "melodic," "dissonant" or "angular," "straightforward" or "simple,"  and "dark" or "challenging."

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 20:59
I think I understand hard and soft as references but dull and enlightened  don't really work as reference points for me....and many of the bands placements are wrong imho based on your categories.

KC dull...? Soft Machine hard...?
Confused

Edited by dr wu23 - August 03 2020 at 21:02
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 21:34
softandwet is French, and this is probably a translation from the french "mat" (or "mate", depending on gender of the noun it is used with), which can mean "dull" as well as "dark". I guess that from the counterpart "enlightened", which is probably translated from "éclairé" (or "éclairée", again depending on gender of the noun it is used with)

Edited by BaldJean - August 03 2020 at 21:37

Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 22:47

for future use:

Different for Mac users by the way. Or if there's no number pad. I know them because I'm a pedantic tool hehe. I appreciated the vocab tidbits. I've been interested in learning German.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 00:07
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

for future use:

Different for Mac users by the way. Or if there's no number pad. I know them because I'm a pedantic tool hehe. I appreciated the vocab tidbits. I've been interested in learning German.

on a mac, you simply hold the "option" (or "alt") key down while pressing the letter "u". you must hold the "option" key, not just press it once. then release and press the letter you want the umlaut over ("a", "o" or "u"). a total of two keystrokes: "option-u", then "a" = "ä" (or then "o" = "ö" or "u" = "ü" respectively)

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 00:13
You could put ELP in any of the categories . BSS was as 'dark' as anything out there in 1973. They could be a very soft band ie Take a Pebble and also 'enlightened' Trilogy. It just makes me realise we have an oppressive need to label music when it's not necessary!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 08:53
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

My prog compass is definitely in the yellow Soft & Enlightened box, as Genesis, Renaissance, Camel and Yes are all long-term favourites of mine. I don't know about Locanda delle Fate in the same box as I haven't heard of them before, but I'm sure I'd like them if I heard them. Smile

One of the few Italian bands that took their cue from Yes rather than say Jethro Tull, Genesis or VDGG.

In other words, they're AWESOME!!!
The Prog Corner
softandwet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 09:01
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

My prog compass is definitely in the yellow Soft & Enlightened box, as Genesis, Renaissance, Camel and Yes are all long-term favourites of mine. I don't know about Locanda delle Fate in the same box as I haven't heard of them before, but I'm sure I'd like them if I heard them. Smile

One of the few Italian bands that took their cue from Yes rather than say Jethro Tull, Genesis or VDGG.

Do you have any examples other than Locanda Delle Fate?
So don’t evade the surgeon’s blade
Cos the answer could be in your mind
Maybe one cut and we’ll find
We’re just a wavelength behind

But we are entwined

And I know what you need
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 09:10
^ Cherry Five is the Italian band that comes to mind when I think of Yes.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 09:13
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ Cherry Five is the Italian band that comes to mind when I think of Yes.

Same.

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 13:21

where do bands like Gong, Hawkwind, Amon Düül II, Can or Embryo fit in your opinion?

In another dimension? Wink
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 13:24
Originally posted by softandwet softandwet wrote:

Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Do you have any examples other than Locanda Delle Fate?
Yes, England sound very much like Yes too. Smile
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 14:00
Looks nice, but I hope you will put some Kraut also there (for example Faust, Can, Amon Düül II & Agitation Free).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>