FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Non-prog Band

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 10:32
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Like many here, I have several.......I'd have to pick Earth, Wind & Fire. The first band I really immersed myself into as a kid and they inspired me to look into progressive rock bands.

Honorable Mentions:
Funkadelic/Parliament
Scorpions
Eric Clapton
The Police

The Police... now there's a defining band. I can't think of a late 70s/early 80s band that weren't inspired by them. 
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 10:13
Like many here, I have several.......I'd have to pick Earth, Wind & Fire. The first band I really immersed myself into as a kid and they inspired me to look into progressive rock bands.

Honorable Mentions:
Funkadelic/Parliament
Scorpions
Eric Clapton
The Police

Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 09:34
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

In my rebel youth I got into punk/goth. Accordingly a couple of my favourites are still Bauhaus and Killing Joke

Good choices. Love Killing Joke.

You have one of my favourite avatars on PA, btw..

Aww, thanks Smile
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 08:04
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

There are many ‘non-Prog’ bands I listen to, among them, my faves are Sade, Devo and Kajagoogoo.

I like Sade too. Thumbs Up
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 08:02
There are many ‘non-Prog’ bands I listen to, among them, my faves are Sade, Devo and Kajagoogoo.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 07:45
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The Zombies. Still making great music and they're a great bunch of chaps.

I didn't realise The Zombies had come back from the Dead, but I just noticed they released an album in the year 2000 titled "R.I.P." Smile
RIP is a compilation of old tracks but Breathe In, Breathe Out (2011) and Still Got That Hunger (2015) are all new albums and totally kick butt.
Thanks! I just had a look on Google at those two albums you mentioned and I noticed Rod Argent & Colin Blunstone are both still with The Zombies, so they must be good albums. Thumbs Up
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 06:56

I didn't realise The Zombies had come back from the Dead, but I just noticed they released an album in the year 2000 titled "R.I.P." Smile
RIP is a compilation of old tracks but Breathe In, Breathe Out (2011) and Still Got That Hunger (2015) are all new albums and totally kick butt.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 06:30

Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Sanatana, without a doubt. I have more albums by Santana than any other band - about 20 so far. Smile

Santana are actually in PA under Jazz Rock/Fusion.
Thanks! That's great news! I never knew Santana were in ProgArchives. Thumbs Up 

BTW, that's true for both Santana the group and Carlos Santana the solo artist.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 05:59
Oasis.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 05:52

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 05:37
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 05:34
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Post your favourite non prog band. For me... probably Dire Straits. Which is what I'm in.
What say you??
Sorry, got to add Cream and the Who. I used to love them... now, not so much, but defining bands for hard rock. I used to be into loads of genres, like hard rock, blues, pop, glam etc., but that was before I discovered Genesis - sadly long after their heyday.Unhappy
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 05:13
not band but solo artist who gives solo concerts as well as concerts with a band: Barbara Dennerlein. she is actually my favorite musician period and the whole family (my wife Friede, my sister Bea and our daughters Alice and Dorothy) will again attend one of her concerts in a bit more than 2 weeks (Aug 23rd).

here an example of her music (watch her left foot)

by the way: Keith Emerson was a big fan of her

Edited by BaldJean - August 04 2020 at 05:20

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 02:38
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Sanatana, without a doubt. I have more albums by Santana than any other band - about 20 so far. Smile

Santana are actually in PA under Jazz Rock/Fusion.

Thanks! That's great news! I never knew Santana were in ProgArchives. Thumbs Up

I guess I'll have to choose another band now. The Moody Blues would have been my second choice - if they weren't in ProgArchives. Smile
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 02:01
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

In my rebel youth I got into punk/goth. Accordingly a couple of my favourites are still Bauhaus and Killing Joke

Good choices. Love Killing Joke.

You have one of my favourite avatars on PA, btw..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 02:00
Difficult to choose just one band, but I'll go for Siouxsie & the Banshees.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 01:55
very hard to pick just one band, non-prog can mean a lot of things - metal, jazz, rock, blues etc ?!
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 01:39
I have a few...

Skids, Big Country, Living Colour, Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, Arctic Monkeys (Yes, I actually do think they're great..... well, apart from their last pretentious album)
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 15:42
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2020 at 15:20
I'll go with Nik Bartsch's Ronin, Swiss minimalist modern jazz combo. Seen them a few times live and love everything they've released.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>