Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Non-prog Band

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 02:16
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I initially chose Santana as my favourite non-prog band, until I discovered they're included in ProgArchives, so I'll choose The Doors and Jefferson Airplane as my second & third favourite non-prog bands. Smile

If we can choose individual artists as well as bands, then my favourite male singer is Chris Rea, and my favourite female singer is Sarah Brightman. Heart
The Doors & Jefferson Airplane are also in progarchives as proto-prog Smile. But some reason that I donīt understand Grateful Dead not. But that is just so dead subject to discuss. Have to say Chris Rea and Sarah Brightman leaves me totally cold.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 06:15
Crikey! You mean to say The Doors & Jefferson Airplane have both been here on ProgArchives all the time without me even knowing!? In  that case, maybe it's time for me to put together a tribute thread to the music of The Doors. I like the Grateful Dead too, but I guess you already knew that. Smile

It looks like I'll have to pick a fourth favourite "non-prog" band now, seeing as my first three choices are already included in ProgArchives. I would have chosen Tangerine Dream, but I have a feeling that they're already here on PA too. Maybe I have more "prog" in my CD collection than I realised, if The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Santana & Tangerine Dream are all here on ProgArchives. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 06 2020 at 16:43
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 14:10
Grandaddy
The Idle Race
Scott Walker
Chetarca
The Shaggs
The Fixx
Violinski
The Alarm
Steve Miller Band
Billy Joel
The Cars
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 15:16
The Doors?? I'm thinking of the sixties band, are they on PA?
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 15:19
^ As Mortte said at the top of this page, the Doors are in progarchives in the Proto-Prog category.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 15:44
Like w/Paul, my first four choices are already here on PA as prog related or jazz rock (Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Journey, and Chicago) so I will go with an old favorite that pre-dates my prog fandom, and the headliner band at the first concert I ever went to see: Van Halen.  OY!  Who am I kidding?  I love Van Halen, but my real answer is Judas Priest!!!

Edited by rushfan4 - August 06 2020 at 15:46
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 16:40
I'll go with Fleetwood Mac as my fifth choice of favourite non-prog band, unless they're on ProgArchives too. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 17:01
They might be prog related, you never know. They're UK no.1 was an instrumental. I'll look into it - if they're not on PA I think they have a right to be, despite the 80s pop years.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 17:05
No,not here.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 17:26
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

No,not here.

That's fair enough. It would require a stretch of the imagination to consider Fleetwood Mac as even being remotely prog-related. Smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 17:37
Hi,

Too many well known and famous bands ... 

I'm going with THE MASKED MARAUDERS ... Tongue
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 17:38
Well, you never know, even with prog being such a niche genre.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 18:12
Too many to choose from. But I'm a big fan of The Clash.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 02:35

I'll go with Fleetwood Mac as my fifth choice of favourite non-prog band, unless they're on ProgArchives too. Smile
Really love Peter Greenīs Fleetwood Mac, Kiln House & Future Games are also ok albums, but after that I think they become really boring band. FM really is one of those sixties started bands I understand theyīre not in PA. Of course there are some prog Then Play On and also those two albums I mentioned, but still...
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 04:52
There are many, but first one that came to mind,Bee Gees.
Shake & bake.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 05:08
^ I love plenty of 60s to 1970 Bee Gees.

Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

No,not here.

That's fair enough. It would require a stretch of the imagination to consider Fleetwood Mac as even being remotely prog-related. Smile

Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac was a gravedigger, and the band Janus (included in Crossover) debut album is called Gravedigger, but that would not be considered sufficient Prog Relation. ;) Nor would Santana being in PA -- Santana, of course, famously covered Peter Green's "Black Magic Woman".

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 05:19
^ Purely by coincidence, the last album I reviewed was "Gravedigger" by Janus. Smile
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 06:07

You know it's pretty easy to search for bands on here, right?
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 15:35
I think he does, but couldn't be bothered.
Rrattlesnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rrattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 16:37
Liars are a really good experimental band. Always change things up on every album
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>