Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Movies of 1977?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Movies of 1977?
    Posted: August 04 2020 at 16:39
Damn good year.

(in order, of course)

Annie Hall
Stroszek
A Special Day
The Yellow Handkerchief
Opening Night
Le Sheriff
The Devil, Probably
The Blue Motel
Wifemistress
A Wedding
Last Chants For a Slow Dance
Equus
The Ascent
The American Friend
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 22:25
How on earth do you forget about Star Wars.......epic failure. Absolutely the greatest Good vs Evil movie, series ever created.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 23:10
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

How on earth do you forget about Star Wars.......epic failure. Absolutely the greatest Good vs Evil movie, series ever created.

since MortSahl's tastes have a certain similarity to mine I doubt he agrees with you. "Star Wars" is in my opinion an overblown FX-spectacle; there were so many better SF movies in the 70s, like for example "Silent Running", "A Clockwork Orange", "Phase IV", "Soylent Green", "The Man Who Fell to Earth", "Dark Star", "Solaris", "Alien" or "Zardoz", to name but a few. I always wondered what people found so exciting about "Star Wars". I don't watch SF-movies for the FX, and while they are certainly top notch in this series (no wonder with its budget) there is in my opinion not much else "Star Wars" has to offer

Edited by BaldJean - August 04 2020 at 23:12

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 00:18
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

since MortSahl's tastes have a certain similarity to mine I doubt he agrees with you. "Star Wars" is in my opinion an overblown FX-spectacle; there were so many better SF movies in the 70s, like for example "Silent Running", "A Clockwork Orange", "Phase IV", "Soylent Green", "The Man Who Fell to Earth", "Dark Star", "Solaris", "Alien" or "Zardoz", to name but a few. I always wondered what people found so exciting about "Star Wars". I don't watch SF-movies for the FX, and while they are certainly top notch in this series (no wonder with its budget) there is in my opinion not much else "Star Wars" has to offer

I was never a fan of Star Wars either and wonder whether it should be included under the genre 'Space Fantasy' rather than sci-fi where I expect some semblance of reality.

That's a great list of sci-fi moves , I totally concur. I would also add Logan's Run which came out in 1976. For my sins I would also add Close Encounters Of The Third Kind , I'm a total sucker for a Spielberg movie (sorry!)

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 00:22
Looking through a list of 1977 movies the only one I found that I love is The Goodbye Girl. A very underrated little rom-com adapted from a Neil Simon Broadway play. Richard Dreyfus had quite a run of films in the 70's when you include this , Jaws and Close Encounters!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 01:27

You miss the inner workings of the Star Wars saga........As I said it is about good vs evil. Your opinion about an overblown FX spectacle is evidence you don't get it.
The movies you list are perfectly fine and I like many of them, but for example Soylent Green at the core is pretty gross, eating humans. A Clockwork Orange along with SG to me are not Science Fiction movies but rather about dystopian based societies and more horror films than sci-fi. Clockwork is pretty disturbing film from 1971, similar to The Shining, which is much better to say the least.
Alien on its own is excellent, but became even better once Prometheus was finally released in 2012 and Alien Covenant was pretty good but the franchise is loosing steam, taking too long to get movies out and finish the story line and are failing to answer a lot of questions.
Of course many of these movies you mention are not from 1977 as OP asked about.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 01:32
Close Encounters easily qualifies as an "overblown FX spectacle", decent story line but not too progressive. War Of the Worlds was a better movie depicting alien arrivals.
Having all the missing people from Bermuda Triangle step off the alien ship was too predictable. 
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 01:40

You miss the inner workings of the Star Wars saga........As I said it is about good vs evil. Your opinion about an overblown FX spectacle is evidence you don't get it.
The movies you list are perfectly fine and I like many of them, but for example Soylent Green at the core is pretty gross, eating humans. A Clockwork Orange along with SG to me are not Science Fiction movies but rather about dystopian based societies and more horror films than sci-fi. Clockwork is pretty disturbing film from 1971, similar to The Shining, which is much better to say the least.
Alien on its own is excellent, but became even better once Prometheus was finally released in 2012 and Alien Covenant was pretty good but the franchise is loosing steam, taking too long to get movies out and finish the story line and are failing to answer a lot of questions.
Of course many of these movies you mention are not from 1977 as OP asked about.

my fault; I looked up SF-movies of the 70s, and that made me forget the post especiallly asked for 1977.

as to "Star Wars": I certainly noticed it is about good vs. evil, but I consider that as a weakness of the movie

Edited by BaldJean - August 05 2020 at 03:22

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 03:12

How on earth do you forget about Star Wars.......epic failure.

Yes, agreed with you : Star Wars is an epic failure!!!! Tongue

Two merits, though: kickstarted Harrson Ford's career and the theme music was relatively fun.

=====================

I'll go with:
Altman's 3 Women
Truffault's L' homme qui aimait les femmes
Mikhalkov's Unfinished Piece for the Player Piano
Peckinpah's Cross Of Iron
Scola' Giornata Particolare
Bunuel's Cet obscur objet du désir
Berri's Un moment d'égarement
Friedkin's Sorcerer
Wenders' American Friend
Attenborough's A Bridge Too Far
Brooks' Looking for Mr. Goodbar
Schoendorfer's Le Crabe-Tambour
Boisset's Le juge Fayard dit "Le Sheriff"

A few similarities with the OP's list. Wink

Edited by Sean Trane - August 05 2020 at 03:14
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 08:10
Close Encounters of the Third Kind 
Smokey and the Bandit (ha!)
The Car
A Bridge Too Far
Oh, God!
Kingdom of the Spiders 
Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo
Are You Being Served?

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 08:55
How did you feel about 1977 movies then, and how do you feel about them now? As for Kingdom of the Spiders, tarantulas are about the most docile creatures out there and make good pets. Their bite is really quite harmless. Brown recluse and black widow spiders are another thing entirely. Movies like Kingdom of the Spiders and The Swarm gave useful, important, and relatively benign creatures a bad reputation. Wasps are nasty. Why couldn’t they have done a public service and made a horror flick about wasps instead? How about that Jefferson Starship tune on the Star Wars TV special?
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 09:06
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

How did you feel about 1977 movies then, and how do you feel about them now? 

Unlike a lot of 80's movies, I generally find 70's haven't aged well (quality of film or preservation of the film themselves??), but copmpared to 60's films, they're still holding their own. 

77 was one of the first year where I started going to movie theatres , BTW, but I discovered most on my list later.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 10:14
High Anxiety
MacArthur
Oh, God!
Smokey and the Bandit
Star Wars
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 10:53

Hi,

I second this sentiment. I don't dislike SW, but it is an over blown FX-spectacle indeed, that makes people think that these movies are more exciting and better than the rest ... at least in America.

Edited by moshkito - August 05 2020 at 10:56
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 11:44
I have one foot in the USA and one foot in Europe. When I'm in Europe, people are always putting down two things - Star Wars and McDonalds. But, every time I passed by McDonalds in Europe, it was absolutely packed! Not so in the USA, where it is just considered fast food. The same goes for Star Wars. If you ask a European point blank if they like Star Wars, especially in front of other Europeans, they will tell you "No, it is a lot of old tripe!" But, secretly, they watch it. The numbers do not lie. Of course, since you are asking me in a public forum, my official response is "I would never dream of watching Star Wars or eating at McDonalds. Heaven forbid! All that GMO or OMG (depending on where you are in Europe) food! As for Star Wars, I was forced to go, and I only watched it for the sound track."

Soylent Green is grim. I think it has Charlton Heston in it. You'll never want to eat canned spinach ever again after watching that.

Silent Running runs the gamut as far as the emotional responses it elicits. As different points in the movie, you will find yourself appalled at and empathizing with Bruce Dern's tormented character. The little droids were neat, too.

Edited by Jaketejas - August 05 2020 at 12:21
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 13:29
Count me in as someone who really does not much like Star Wars. I do like the following one more. I liked Star Wars for a while when I saw it as a young child, but I quickly lost interest. It seems too superficial to me. That said, I appreciate its cultural relevance, but it's not one I rate highly. I like a lot of sci-fi/fantasy, I too don't think of Star Wars as proper sci-fi. I much prefer Lucus' earlier THX-1138. And I also much prefer Close Encounters of the Third Kind from 1977 -- that I have always loved. It's magical and mysterious in its way. Like the OP and others, I tend to go for a lot of international art house films, and tend not to be very mainstream oriented, but 1977 was a strong year for horror per my tastes. Films like Suspiria, The Hills Have Eyes, Demon Seed, Rabid, and the weird House, as well as the surreal Eraserhead if one counts it as horror.

Some favourite films that come to my mind when I think of 1977 are David Lynch's surreal Eraserhead, the fantasy film Jabberwocky, the Deer Hunter, Annie Hall, The Spy Who Loved Me (I'm an unabashed Bond fan), The Duellists, and as mentioned Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

To each his or her own tastes. I don't expect others to like what I like unless I know we share very similar tastes and that I know that person is into very similar things.

I once had a silly discussion with someone at a sci-fi forum who when I mentioned much preferring 2001: A Space Odyssey to Star Wars insisted that I was some kind of a failure of a person with really bad taste cause 2001 is so obviously boring. I was, you like what you like, I'll like what I like and not tell you what you should prefer. That was a weird conversation. Even as a child I much preferred 2001.

Oh, and Star Trek over Star Wars.

Edited by Logan - August 05 2020 at 14:03
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 13:52
Yes, yes, indeed. You are right, of course. Very superficial. Certainly not in the upper echelons of Sci-Fi. Very low-brow. I just watched it to see how bad it was, really and, of course, the soundtrack. Terrible stuff, really. Absolute drivel. It goes without saying that I would much rather put Eraserhead on automatic replay and watch it over and over again all day. As for Star Wars, though, I may have to watch it again for the hundred thousandth time just to remind myself of the truly awful viewing experience.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 14:05

Yes, yes, indeed. You are right, of course. Very superficial. Certainly not in the upper echelons of Sci-Fi. Very low-brow. I just watched it to see how bad it was, really and, of course, the soundtrack. Terrible stuff, really. Absolute drivel. It goes without saying that I would much rather put Eraserhead on automatic replay and watch it over and over again all day. As for Star Wars, though, I may have to watch it again for the hundred thousandth time just to remind myself of the truly awful viewing experience.

I definitely would not want to see "Star Wars" again. the movie has almost everything I dislike about most American movies (there are of course exceptions). and please remember I am originally from the USA myself. but expatriates who went to European countries are known to be the most critical ones when it comes to American culture

Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 14:22

I definitely would not want to see "Star Wars" again. the movie has almost everything I dislike about most American movies (there are of course exceptions). and please remember I am originally from the USA myself. but expatriates who went to European countries are known to be the most critical ones when it comes to American culture

Quite so. I couldn't agree more!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 14:29

I was wondering about that too
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>