Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Movies of 1977?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 23:19
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Funny how Star Wars has become the hot topic on this thread....both by Americans and those not living in the US.

Guilty pleasures I am sure.......I honestly could give a horses rear if someone likes it or detests it, no skin off my back. I'm a huge sci-fi/space fantasy movie watcher, it's progressive as it progresses past this earth and galaxy.

I can't resist teasing everyone. I'm from Euro-land originally and I see this all the time. It's that so-called Old World / New World divide. Don't believe everything you read.    I'll bet that 95+% (+/- 5% error) of people on here has seen Star Wars a couple of orders of magnitude more times than Eraserhead. But, you will NEVER get them to admit it. It is probably the same reason why Kansas isn't on the "most successful prog band" poll. I find it very amusing.      Just my warped sense of humor, I suppose. In fact, I would hazard a guess that the 1977 date was thrown out there just to troll the Star Wars enthusiasts. The movie wasn't really made for adults. It was an extravaganza with a relatively simple moral story designed for kids that carries with it a lot of nostalgia. What child wasn't absolutely blown away by it in 1977? By the way, A Bridge Too Far was one of my faves back in the day. What a great year for movies (if you live in the USA).
Thumbs Up
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 00:29
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Funny how Star Wars has become the hot topic on this thread....both by Americans and those not living in the US.

Guilty pleasures I am sure.......I honestly could give a horses rear if someone likes it or detests it, no skin off my back. I'm a huge sci-fi/space fantasy movie watcher, it's progressive as it progresses past this earth and galaxy.

funny how some people seem to want to make it the hot topic. I'll no more on it.

I love good SF movies, but there aren't that many modern ones that I would call "good"

Arrival is a big exception imo. 

I also love Gravity and The Martian even if they are 'popcorn movies'.

Going back to Star Wars , was there really any chance that Evil might actually triumph over good?! I mean films need to have some tension.LOL

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 03:13
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ Have you seen Under the Skin, Jean? It's kind of horror and it's so well done. I found it quite mesmerising.

We might have discussed this film already, my memory is terrible these days.

I read up on "Under the Skin", and it seems to be exactly the kind of movie I like. thanks for the recommendation

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 14:22
I agree with a lot of what you mentioned. Star Wars was, along with Jason and the Argonauts, the first real eye candy sci-fi fantasy films.   But, now as an adult, it is more to do with nostalgia ... like who I was with when I saw it. I loved Time Bandits as a kid, but it’s another one that probably hasn’t held up as well as I thought it would. It was absolutely a fave of mine, but I think it might have been too trippy for my kid. Others that easily make the jump are Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, and the old Flubber. The Black Hole not so much. Capricorn One was great (that’s the faked moon landing one, right?) but I’m not so sure kids would even get it now.   Tron was fun and my kid enjoyed it, although I had to do quite a bit of explaining. I watched Close Encounters with my kid recently and it was enjoyable although a bit slow. The Andromeda Strain is excellent and still holds up, as does the old Poseidon Adventure. Of course, with Dr Who and Star Trek, the older the better :-). They had to pretty much survive on story lines alone. My kid, like me, enjoys Herbie and Benji. The old Nancy Drew mysteries, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Tolkien, Runaway Ralph, Judy Bloom, Roald Dahl, CS Lewis, and Beverly Cleary are fun too. We like anything highly imaginative or a good period piece like All Creatures Great and Small or Danger UXB. There are some decent sci fi flicks these days but they rely too much on effects and often give me a headache. We enjoyed The Martian one with Matt Damon, but the latest one (I can’t even remember the name) was a snooze fest. Inception had some good ideas but wasted too much time on shoot-‘em-ups. Not really my cup of tea. And, I’m sorry but I’ve never been a fan of superheros or transformers.   One must draw the line with their nerdiness somewhere.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 14:45
Yep, that was the Capricorn One

I love Tron still after all these years. And I watched that and the later version with my son. Maybe one of my issues with Stars Wars was that I was too young at the time and so it doesn't have the nostalgia factor of, say, Tron or an American Werewolf in London and others. I love all Creatures Great and Small. We also watched The Martian as a family and all enjoyed it. I've always watch all the Studio Ghibli films with my family. I wasn't keen on Inception either. I;m not big on superheroes type stuff, but I did love Watchmen and shows like Misfits (superpowers) and The Boys. Not that I would watch those with the kids. The Andromeda Strain is one of my big favourites -- I love that.

Speaking of Roald Dahl, I was watching the TV series Tales of the Unexpected with my kids some time back, but it gets a bit dark.

Most of what I watch wouldn't be that apprropriate with the kids. We did enjoy Good Omens as a family.

Speaking of inappropriate, a couple of days ago at the beach my son and I unfortunately got too up close and person to a couple who who were having sex in a not really secluded place (right on the beach around a bend) and totally uncovered (woman on top in a sitting position). I was more embarrassed than him, he just said "biology".
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 14:45
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

I agree with a lot of what you mentioned. Star Wars was, along with Jason and the Argonauts, the first real eye candy sci-fi fantasy films.   But, now as an adult, it is more to do with nostalgia ... like who I was with when I saw it. I loved Time Bandits as a kid, but it’s another one that probably hasn’t held up as well as I thought it would. It was absolutely a fave of mine, but I think it might have been too trippy for my kid. Others that easily make the jump are Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, and the old Flubber. The Black Hole not so much. Capricorn One was great (that’s the faked moon landing one, right?) but I’m not so sure kids would even get it now.   Tron was fun and my kid enjoyed it, although I had to do quite a bit of explaining. I watched Close Encounters with my kid recently and it was enjoyable although a bit slow. The Andromeda Strain is excellent and still holds up, as does the old Poseidon Adventure. Of course, with Dr Who and Star Trek, the older the better :-). They had to pretty much survive on story lines alone. My kid, like me, enjoys Herbie and Benji. The old Nancy Drew mysteries, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Tolkien, Runaway Ralph, Judy Bloom, Roald Dahl, CS Lewis, and Beverly Cleary are fun too. We like anything highly imaginative or a good period piece like All Creatures Great and Small or Danger UXB. There are some decent sci fi flicks these days but they rely too much on effects and often give me a headache. We enjoyed The Martian one with Matt Damon, but the latest one (I can’t even remember the name) was a snooze fest. Inception had some good ideas but wasted too much time on shoot-‘em-ups. Not really my cup of tea. And, I’m sorry but I’ve never been a fan of superheros or transformers.   One must draw the line with their nerdiness somewhere.

Forgot about Andromeda Strain!! Great movie and plot, and that one still holds great weight from 1971!! I'm not sure when I saw it first, I was 5-6 in '71 so it may have been like '73ish when I saw it. I need to look for it and watch again. The other one that blew my mind as a kid was Fantastic Voyage, can you believe that was from 1966!! That "submarine" was way cool......
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 17:11
Biology! It’s like Biology class in Monty Python’s Meaning of Life. :-)

I’ll have to check out Tales from the Unexpected. Roald Dahl does get pretty dark sometimes, which is the twisted kind of humor I loved as a kid. We visited his house, which is now a museum, in England. That guy had an interesting life. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory comes from his time in school, when Cadbury would come and test out their newest chocolate candies on the kids. More recently, there are the David Williams books that are a bit off kilter. Mr Stink and Gangsta Granny!

Fantastic voyage was amazing. And, for every sci fi movie, there’s often a Dr Who that parallels it. There’s even a really old Dr Who with William Hartnell that foreshadows Honey I Shrunk the Kids. Rick Moranis rules! :-)

Logan’s Run and Blade Runner are also classics from that timeframe. I must admit, though, that the more recent Planet of the Apes are very well done. Have to give credit where credit is due. Gray Lady Down and The Last Flight of Noah’s Ark were a couple of other memories from that time.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 17:56
I never got into Dr Who, don't know anything about it, other than always looked like it was made in someone's garage. Plus here in US came on like PBS channels, never watched that channel as a kid.

Logan's Run was a good one also, another good plot/premise.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 20:08
I'll join in just to say "Star Wars" and screw the haters. Wink
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 20:46
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

ClapClap
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 00:02
when it comes to SF movies of the 70s it doesn't get any better than "Welt am Draht" ("World on a Wire") by Rainer Werner Fassbinder from 1973

yep, the movie is over 3 hours long (it was originally made for German TV as a mini series of two episodes and was lost for decades afterwards). the English subtitles leave a lot to be desired and often don't fully catch what was said though. and I seriously doubt lovers of "Star Wars" will like the movie

Edited by BaldJean - August 07 2020 at 00:39

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 03:12
^ World on a Wire is excellent. By the way, there was German sci-fi film of the last decade that I enjoyed considerably called Transfer. Perhaps my favourite of a somewhat sci-fi or more fantasy nature of the last decade was The Lobster (better described as an absurdist dyystopian black comedy than sci-fi). Timecrimes (Los Cronocrímenes) (actually from 2007) was another modern fave of mine.

^^ As for Star Wars, I don't hate it or even dislike it. It's really more that it's not a preferred film of mine from the time. Sorry if I came across as overly negative, it can be hard to express one's sentiments in a constructive, nuanced, and thoughtful fashion. I do have some negative associations that relate to the film. One of those involving someone (A moderator at a sci-fi board) who berated me for daring not to be a fan of it and insulted me for preferring 2001: A Space Odyssey and Star Trek: The Motion Picture (which along with the Star Wars original trilogy, I first saw in the cinema). This was someone I really grew to dislike and distrust heartily, and there's a long and painful story to go along with that (an insensitive, sarcastic, and thoughtless fellow, and this lack of being thoughtful was most exhibited in regards to a very tragic incident involving a forum member). And though I loved it when I saw it, my dad's disdain for it rather spoiled it for me. I won't say that his disdain ran as deep as it did for the Beatles or Mountbatten. That said, I still like The Empire Strikes Back (the Yoda factor).

For another kids movie that I loved, saw in in the cinema, and still enjoy very much: The Muppet Movie. It has heart and it still delights me. The Dark Crystal may remain my favourite family film from my childhood. As for Blade Runner, I liked that very much too, and enjoyed Blade Runner 2049. Stalker and Solaris were a couple more sci-fi films I liked from the 70s. Obviously I like Logan's Run -- that's the Logan in my username.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 13:55
We watched both 2001 and 2010 again recently. Love both of those very thoughtful and innovative movies. Really, 2001 is the first truly spectacular movie for space special effects ... even before Star Wars. Apparently, Rock Hudson was invited to an early viewing of it. He walked out because he didn't think that the plot was going anywhere (my guess is he didn't care for "Eraserhead" either). 2001 is a different sort of movie, though. It is more of a space opera than a "Red five, I'm going in!" kind of flick. Towards the end, it starts to become coldly terrifying (man versus AI), with the culmination being a Pink Floyd monolithic trip.

What makes the 2001 movie so phenomenal is that it is slow-paced and you get a truer sense of scale and perspective (both space and time). I have to be in the right mood (an artsy fartsy mood, where I am taking it all in) to watch something like that.

The original Star Trek movies are excellent, and the Next Generation ones are very good, too. I have trouble stomaching the most recent ones, though. It is as if the director knew little about Star Trek, with certain members of the crew becoming more like superheroes. The first one I saw was Star Trek II, and it was super. It was decades later when I finally caught the first one. Everyone kept telling me how bad it was, but actually it was great! There are some sequences of the Enterprise that are truly captivating.

In thinking back, I remember catching a double-feature of The Fly (with Jeff Goldblum ... perfect casting) and Aliens ("Game over, man. Game over!") back in the 80s. I enjoyed both films immensely.

What I remember the most about Star Wars the first time seeing it, was the opening sequence, where the Star Destroyer just goes on seemingly forever ... and I just remember this sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach because it felt so real (not like the Lost In Space TV show ... :-) I think that moment will forever be imprinted on my brain. I caught THX about a year ago, and it is quite a dark & twisted movie that for some reason reminds of 1984 (Orwell).

By the way, many years ago, I was a volunteer in a puppet troupe. It was a lot of fun, but also involved a lot of arm holding. You have to build up quite a bit of stamina to hold up those big puppets for any length of time. Dark Crystal was interesting in that the puppets had a feeling of being quite realistic, although kids today probably wouldn't understand that aspect.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 03:58
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ Have you seen Under the Skin, Jean? It's kind of horror and it's so well done. I found it quite mesmerising.

We might have discussed this film already, my memory is terrible these days.

I read up on "Under the Skin", and it seems to be exactly the kind of movie I like. thanks for the recommendation

I find it a bit boring to be honest although Johansson does get buck naked at one point so that livened it up a bit for me!

Apparently when filming it in around Glasgow , they stopped to engage with 'real' people , most of whom didn't realise that they were talking to a famous American film star as she had the black wig on Some of this ended up in the film.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 11:32
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I am not a hater of "Star Wars". I just find it boring compared to a lot of other SF movies. I am not a big fan of "Blade Runner" either, though the movie has its moments.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2020 at 17:21
I have to search the net and make sure what movies I know from the year asked.

From memory, only Suspiria has come to surface. A brilliant film. Its "remake" (if that is a remake at all) is also impressive but the ending parts didn't do it for me for several reasons, the foremost of which is about the music.
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 03:32
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

I have to search the net and make sure what movies I know from the year asked.

From memory, only Suspiria has come to surface. A brilliant film. Its "remake" (if that is a remake at all) is also impressive but the ending parts didn't do it for me for several reasons, the foremost of which is about the music.

I use IMDB as a source.. If you keep track of ratings there, you could search by any time frame, and then sort by "Your Ratings".
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123