Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An Affinity for Jazz-Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An Affinity for Jazz-Rock
    Posted: August 05 2020 at 10:22
If You Live for the sound of great music and you have an Affinity for Jazz-Rock, then the sweet sound of Affinity could be just the band for you. They only recorded one eponymously-titled album during their brief lunchtime in the spotlight, but Affinity are now almost as legendary as the Hound of The Baskervilles. As well as the aforementioned 1970 studio album, Affinity also recorded an album of Live Instrumentals in 1969 when singer Linda Hoyle was recuperating from a throat operation. There's also an album going back to Affinity's early Origins in the British Jazz clubs during the years 1965-67, as well as a later album of recordings from the years 1971-1972. All of these various compilations wouldn't see release until over 30 years later in the early 21st century, and interestingly, they all featured the same identical album cover tinted in various colours, with the exception of If You Live, recorded in 1968-1970.

AFFINITY ALBUMS DISCOGRAPHY

1970: Affinity

2002: If You Live (Recorded 1968-1970)
2003: Live Instrumentals (Recorded 1969)
2003: Affinity 1971-1972
2004: Origins 1965-1967
2005: Origins - The Baskervilles 1965
2012: The Baskervilles Reunion 2011

Track Listing

1. I Am and So Are You
2. Night Flight
3. I Wonder If I Care as Much
4. Mr. Joy
5. Three Sisters
6. Coconut Grove
7. All Along the Watchtower
8. Eli's Coming
9. United States of Mind

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 24 2020 at 16:03
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 10:24
AFFINITY - If You Live (1968-1970)

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 14:42
Affinity - very solid album. Never knew what happened to keyboardist Lynton Naiff. Great olayer.
Drummer Grant Serpell ended up in Sailor (Girls, Girls, Girls) !!   Mo Foster became a session bassist for many artists, including Tony Banks.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 16:32
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Affinity - very solid album. Never knew what happened to keyboardist Lynton Naiff. Great olayer.
Drummer Grant Serpell ended up in Sailor (Girls, Girls, Girls) !!   Mo Foster became a session bassist for many artists, including Tony Banks.

I remember Sailor's jolly sea shanties. Smile

The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 21:15
I just today saw that Esoteric is releasing a 2-album compilation of Linda Hoyle (singer for Affinity) in September with the music for the first album written primarily by Karl Jenkins.  Might give that a shot, although I was always more of a Ratledge, Hopper, Dean fan than a Jenkins fan.  Still, I plan to look up some youtube music of Pieces of Me before it comes out to see if I want to invest. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 23:25
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

I just today saw that Esoteric is releasing a 2-album compilation of Linda Hoyle (singer for Affinity) in September with the music for the first album written primarily by Karl Jenkins.  Might give that a shot, although I was always more of a Ratledge, Hopper, Dean fan than a Jenkins fan.  Still, I plan to look up some youtube music of Pieces of Me before it comes out to see if I want to invest. 
The 2-CD Linda Hoyle compilation should be well-worth a listen if Karl Jenkins is involved with it. Thumbs Up
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 00:06
I'm a lover of all things jazz rock, and this is excellent stuff!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 00:13
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I'm a lover of all things jazz rock, and this is excellent stuff!

I like the music of Affinity and Audience even more than some of the better-known Jazz-Rock bands, such as Blood, Sweat & Tears, Chicago and Steely Dan.

Before I  went online back in 2010, I never even knew there was such a music genre as Jazz-Rock. Smile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 08:00
Solid album...sadly I sold the vinyl at a record show a few years ago to buy something else......I can't even recall what it was and now I wish I had the original vinyl back.
I need to stop selling things to get other things....I've done that over the years with several collectable pieces.
Confused
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 08:07
AFFINITY - 1971-1972

1. Moira's Hand

2. Grey Skies

3. Cream on Your Face

4. Sunshower

5. All Along the Watchtower

6. Rio

7. Poor Man's Son

8. Sarah's Wardrobe

9. Highgate

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 08:11
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Solid album...sadly I sold the vinyl at a record show a few years ago to buy something else......I can't even recall what it was and now I wish I had the original vinyl back.
I need to stop selling things to get other things....I've done that over the years with several collectable pieces.
Confused
I used to give CD albums away too, and then wished I hadn't. I bought ELP's debut album from a charity shop for £1 again yesterday after giving it away years ago to another charity shop. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 06 2020 at 08:12
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 08:23
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Confused
I used to give CD albums away too, and then wished I hadn't. I bought ELP's debut album from a charity shop for £1 again yesterday after giving it away years ago to another charity shop. Smile

I had the US Paramount vinyl version.....if I had the Brit Vertigo one I wouldn't have sold it.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 08:28

Confused

I had the US Paramount vinyl version.....if I had the Brit Vertigo one I wouldn't have sold it.
It may turn out that I grow to like Emerson, Lake & Palmer's debut album the second time around, now I'm a member of a Prog-Rock website. Correction: THE Prog-Rock website. Smile 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 09:01

Confused

It may turn out that I grow to like Emerson, Lake & Palmer's debut album the second time around, now I'm a member of a Prog-Rock website. Correction: THE Prog-Rock website. Smile 

The first lp by them is my favorite...and always will be. IMHO it's the best thing they ever did. That's not taking anything away from tracks like Tarkus and Karnevil9...but overall I like the whole lp better.
There are no 'silly' songs on it as they did on the later lp's and it flows well imho.
And this was right after Lake left KC....his voice sounds great here and the newness of the band comes through and I like that. Again there might be one or two  better tracks on the later ones, but the debut as a whole is flawless imho.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 09:55
^ ELP's Black Moon album was recommended to me recently, although I'll probably give their Love Beach album a miss, where ELP are dressed as the "Beach Gees" on their unintentionally funny album cover. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 06 2020 at 09:56
Droxford View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 12:38
I get the impression from Greg Lake's autobiography 'Lucky Man'  that ELP really knew that it was time to stop after the release of 'The Works' albums and the related North American tour, but that contractual obligations and a hefty amount of record company pressure made them release one more album. Hence 'Love Beach.'....And Greg Lake insisted that Love Beach really exists as a place. 

In respect of Affinity, thank you for highlighting this band. Played a couple of tracks already and enjoyed them. When it comes to Jazz-Rock , I am more used to the Mahavisnu Orchestra so at first listen, Affinity lean more to  the mellower side of  Jazz Rock. But want to check out more of their work. 

^ ELP's Black Moon album was recommended to me recently, although I'll probably give their Love Beach album a miss, where ELP are dressed as the "Beach Gees" on their unintentionally funny album cover. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 12:48
^ I think Love Beach has now become a TV series. Tongue
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 15:07
Love Beach does exist as a place - whilst on hols in The Bahamas, going to some place just out from Nassau I saw a sign that said Love Beach and chuckled to myself. Must be near Compass Point studio.

Edited by Tom Ozric - August 15 2020 at 15:10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 15:14
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Love Beach does exist as a place - whilst on hols in The Bahamas, going to some place just out from Nassau I saw a sign that said Love Beach and chuckled to myself. Must be near Compass Point studio.
Maybe that's where they filmed Love Island. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2020 at 07:53
The Baskervilles Reunion (2011) - Part One

1. Maybe Baby

2. I Feel Fine

3. C'mon Everybody

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>