Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which band was the most successful?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Which band was the most successful?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
30 [44.12%]
6 [8.82%]
10 [14.71%]
13 [19.12%]
5 [7.35%]
4 [5.88%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 04:46
Pink Floyd for sure.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 05:03
Interestingly, those who have posted on this thread have generally agreed on KC and Yes, but, despite having the most votes, Pink Floyd has not been mentioned much in the discussion. Which implies most people who voted Pink Floyd (not necessarily you, King of Loss)  only glanced at the options then voted and left, rather than reading the OP thoroughly and then posting - if someone has posted, it probably means they've had a proper look at the OP. Perhaps that's biased of me because I always look at the OP thoroughly before posting, but it would seem the logical thing to do. No offence intended to Pink Floyd voters, I could be very wrong.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Lieutenant_Lan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lieutenant_Lan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 20:47
Pink Floyd, Duh.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 21:19
Gotta be ELP by the OP's criteria.
Much maligned but loved deeply by their fans, they were a force to be reckoned with. Innovators that were unmatched, and it was ELP all the music all the time.

But to quote Tyrell:
"The light that burns twice as
bright burns half as long.  And
you have burned so very, very
brightly"
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 05:11
Rush
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 05:37
My heart wants me too vote for Yes But my brain says
Pink Floyd but below is my own ratings

Yes>Genesis>King Crimson>Floyd> ELP>Rush

Edited by geekfreak - February 26 2021 at 05:38
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 06:00

Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Interestingly, those who have posted on this thread have generally agreed on KC and Yes, but, despite having the most votes, Pink Floyd has not been mentioned much in the discussion. Which implies most people who voted Pink Floyd (not necessarily you, King of Loss)  only glanced at the options then voted and left, rather than reading the OP thoroughly and then posting - if someone has posted, it probably means they've had a proper look at the OP. Perhaps that's biased of me because I always look at the OP thoroughly before posting, but it would seem the logical thing to do. No offence intended to Pink Floyd voters, I could be very wrong.

You would be wrong in my case, though I obviously can’t speak for any other who voted for Floyd.

While, without reading the OP, the answer is clearly Floyd, in my opinion the answer doesn’t change for me, when it comes to influence (ie what the OP asks, as opposed to what the poll migh otherwise imply).

KC is undoubtedly influential, and I can understand why they get the votes, but I don’t think they are anywhere near as influential as Floyd, Genesis or Rush. Krimson is more influential, only if you stay with prog spheres, in my opinion. Because of a more mainstream and commercial appeal, Floyd, Genesis and Rush have been influential both within and outside prog.

Without thinking about it too much, I would say the order of overall influence is along the order of Floyd > Rush > Genesis > Krimson > Yes > ELP (which, just in case you are thinking it, does not at all match my personal order of favourites).

BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 23:32
Where's Tull?

Didn't JT influence Rush or is this article below "fake news"!?

A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 00:55
No doubt it was Floyd.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234