Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Miles Davis - Dark Magus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Miles Davis - Dark Magus
    Posted: August 06 2020 at 00:48

Good morning fellow Proggers!

I just got a killer deal on Ebay regarding some of the better/best LIVE Miles Davis electric period stuff, and this album was one of them. It's always been a personal favorite; however, I never realized PA rated this bad boy at 4.60 = essential = I agree completely!

My question is this: is it because this is a live album, it doesn't appear on the PA top 100? That score would put it in the Top 10 otherwise! Is there a list for live albums I'm missing, because I feel like this one would be near the top!

Thoughts on the list/album's legendary status in general? GO! Tongue

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - August 06 2020 at 00:49

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 03:27
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

My question is this: is it because this is a live album, it doesn't appear on the PA top 100? That score would put it in the Top 10 otherwise! Is there a list for live albums I'm missing, because I feel like this one would be near the top!
The top 100 is determined by an algorithm that involves the number of ratings and reviews and weights ratings with reviews more heavily than ratings with no review. It also gives additional weight to collaborator reviews. There are lots of albums on the site that have a pure 5* rating that will never feature in the top 100 because it’s based on one or two people giving a 5* rating.

Edited by Mascodagama - August 06 2020 at 03:29
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 04:19
Ah ok gotcha, I never noticed that number until now, and it makes total sense! Thank you!

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 04:22
And top 100 doesn't include live albums. You can adjust the filter to include or rank only live albums, keeping in mind the weighting by the algorithm. If you filter just by live albums, it's number 30 with Dream Theater number 1.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 05:50
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

And top 100 doesn't include live albums. You can adjust the filter to include or rank only live albums, keeping in mind the weighting by the algorithm. If you filter just by live albums, it's number 30 with Dream Theater number 1.

Shows how much attention I've been paying LOL. 

If I change it to live, fusion, it's #1 Cool.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 04:03
I love the Miles Davis trio of live albums, Dark Magus(1974), Pangaea(1975) and Agharta(1975).

1974 may be my favourites Miles Davis year with Big Fun, Get Up With It, and Dark Magus.

If I look up my particular favourite PA categories in PA, it's at number 4 for live albums: CLICK Magma having three of those top five albums (all those being in my collection). And Frank Zappa's You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 2 being at number one (not in my collection).
Droxford View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 13:50
Great to have a mention of Miles here. As a relatively new member not sure how far I can go in posting about Jazz Rock Fusion. From around 1970 onward for a few years,  Miles seemed to drift towards rock music, playing the Isle of Wight Festival, attending Jimi Hendrix funeral, and going to the first Mahavishnu Orchestra gigs. His 1970's releases reflect this. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 15:06
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I love the Miles Davis trio of live albums, Dark Magus(1974), Pangaea(1975) and Agharta(1975). 

1974 may be my favourites Miles Davis year with Big Fun, Get Up With It, and Dark Magus.

If I look up my particular favourite PA categories in PA, it's at number 4 for live albums: CLICK Magma having three of those top five albums (all those being in my collection). And Frank Zappa's You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 2 being at number one (not in my collection).

I love those records as well, and I have them all! Huge Miles Davis fan. His 70's electric period is by far my favorite. Everything from Bitches Brew onward, more or less. Michael Henderson on bass! I just snagged a copy of Dark Magus for relatively cheap on Ebay, along with Pangea (the harder of the two "continent" albums to find IMO). Can't wait!

Get Up With It is excellent; some very somber pieces on that one. Big Fun is a must have!

Originally posted by Droxford Droxford wrote:

Great to have a mention of Miles here. As a relatively new member not sure how far I can go in posting about Jazz Rock Fusion. From around 1970 onward for a few years,  Miles seemed to drift towards rock music, playing the Isle of Wight Festival, attending Jimi Hendrix funeral, and going to the first Mahavishnu Orchestra gigs. His 1970's releases reflect this. 

70's Miles Davis is cream of the crop!

Post Reply Post Reply