Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Remembering Chris Squire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remembering Chris Squire
    Posted: August 06 2020 at 16:05
It's been five years now since Chris Squire gained the Keys to Ascension and ascended The Ladder between Heaven & Earth. He's now up there somewhere in Prog Heaven performing Yessongs with his Swiss Choir of angels. Chris Squire's legendary bass-playing has featured on all 21 Yes albums, from the first self-titled Yes album in 1969, right through to the final Heaven & Earth album in 2014, recorded just a year before his untimely death from leukemia at the age of 67. During his time with Yes, Chris Squire was often known for his lateness in turning up for recording sessions and gigs, and on his commemorative plaque, it reads: "'The Late' Chris Squire."

The Yes Album that's been the subject of the most Talk and controversy over the years is of course the fabled Tales from Topographic Oceans album, recorded in 1973. During the ensuing Drama surrounding the recording of the album, Time and a Word has it that strained relations between the various Yes band members were in such a Fragile state that the band came Close to the Edge of splitting up. Rick Wakeman left the Yes line-up temporarily and Patrick Moraz was brought in as a replacement for the recording of the following Relayer album in 1974. Rick Wakeman had a re-Union with Yes for the Going for the One and Tormato albums in 1977 and 1978 respectively. It was decided after the rigours of recording and touring the Relayer album that each Yes member would record their own solo album to give the band members a much-needed break from the constant pressure of touring and recording with Yes. And so, the stage was set for Chris Squire to launch his solo career whilst still remaining with Yes.

Chris Squire may have been like a Fish Out of Water with the recording and release of his first solo album away from his Yes band-mates in 1975, but the album was generally well-received by Yes fans and was a Big Generator of album sales too, reaching No. 25 in the U.K albums chart. If you Open Your Eyes and ears and examine this wonderful album closely with some degree of Magnification, you'll realise it has the trademark Yes sound of Chris Squire's thunderous bass featuring prominently throughout the album, giving it the distinctive sound of a Yes album in all but name.

In the later stages of his solo career, he recorded the Chris Squire's Swiss Choir Christmas album in 2007 and formed a temporary musical Union with Steve Hackett of Genesis for the album A Life within a Day in 2012, under the cunningly-titled band-name, Squackett.

Although Chris Squire is now up amongst the Prog Gods in Heaven, the marvellous music of Yes transcends Heaven & Earth  and it'll live on forever in our hearts, attracting new generations of Yes fans who haven't yet been born. Heart

All album titles in Red Highlights by Chris Squire and Yes

Just before I Fly from Here,  here's Chris Squire's complete discography. Smile

4 stars 2000: Chris Squire & Billy Sherwood - Conspiracy - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nrDIeGSdSWPF7UN5ESd292B4ZIYujkbZk
 4 stars 2003: Chris Squire & Billy Sherwood - The Unknown - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7hwp0Md6S4sMoW5me2P2OR99_TbjLKT_
 3 stars 2007: Chris Squire - Swiss Choir - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knmWhvn1Fuk
 5 stars 2012: Squackett (Chris Squire & Steve Hackett) - A Life Within a Day - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nQwGIivTlbkEp1OeJMlRYpeM-TJjOTVeQ
 4 stars 2013: Chris Squire & Billy Sherwood - Conspiracy Live - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_n8NkZq6P3Y7RTcsGlY1VusNjHS4xDErRE

5 stars 1991: Yes - Union Live - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV2PJHuycKE
 5 stars 2000: Yes - House of Yes - Live from House of Blues - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL201777EE3F73AACF
 5 stars 2002: Yes - Symphonic Live - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JNVYwdvEZg
 4 stars 2004: Yes - Songs from Tsongas - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5C363CBA2B22108D

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 07 2023 at 07:22
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 16:41
Some very nice music, though his vocals sound just like Jon Anderson. It seems much more bouncy than Yes, if you know what I mean. Less long-winded.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 16:50
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Some very nice music, though his vocals sound just like Jon Anderson. It seems much more bouncy than Yes, if you know what I mean. Less long-winded.

Yes, I know what you mean exactly: the first two songs on the Fish Out of Water album are very bouncy and uplifting, much like the later Yes albums: Talk (1994) & The Ladder (1999).

You may recognise Patrick Moraz on keyboards and Bill Bruford on drums in the video below. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 06 2020 at 17:14
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 00:13
Chris Squire is the reason I picked up the bass guitar over a decade ago after playing guitar in bands for years.

He's my favorite prog musician. My fiance will tell you I legit cried, in front of her, the day he passed. I made the entire family postpone dinner because I was pissed my hero died. The funny part? They totally understood and didn't judge me at all for it.

Chris Squire IS (not "was") a legend; his energy and bass playing are here with us forever. His playing on Close to The Edge, Relayer, and Drama inspired me to build my skill and really understand not only the bass guitar, but music in general on a much deeper level than before.

Chris was MY key to bass ascension! RIP "The Fish" Master!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 01:23
What I really appreciate about Chris Squire is that he proved himself BIG TIME with Fish Out of Water album.
He's had distinctive sound, advanced basslines and songwriter credits with Yes, but it was the solo album that convinced me 100% he's among the very best musicians of the genre. Fish is a very accomplished, beautiful work, easily up there with the best solo artists of Prog, be it Zappa, Oldfield, Wilson or Di Meola...

I wonder if he's recognized and revered in bassist circles as much as, say, Neil Peart among drummers... (?)
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 01:58
Fish Out of Water is a legendary album. Highly under-appreciated.

Also, Chris's voice was so interesting. He never used any vibrato, but he could belt if he needed. His timbre was so... wide...? I guess that's the only word I can use to describe what I hear. But very pure. Yes had some of my favorite vocal harmonies/arrangements, and I always noticed a unique quality about them. It was only after I heard Squire's solo album that I realize his voice specifically was responsible for the interesting way they all blended together. Of course you've got the essential Jon as the leading vocalist, but those harmonies? Squire made them what they are. I can't even fully describe what I mean with words, but I could tell it was Chris that was responsible.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 02:05
One of those great musicians that mark the music of a band and an era. Always loved his way of playing the bass: very powerful and very melodic. He is a very big part of what makes Yes music that great. I also like his singing; his second voice on many a Yes song and some of his lead vocals were really great. With Tony Levin he belongs to my all time favourite bass players!
(And nice intro text, again, Paul!)

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 05:53
Fish Out of Water shows to which extent Squire did contribute to Yes, so great to have mid-70s Bruford back into that musical universe after their "divorce".
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 08:07
It’s not remembering - it’s never forgetting !! Like many bassists, I was blown away by Chris the moment I heard South Side of the Sky. I saved up some dosh and bought myself a Rickenbacker 4001 back in ‘89, still play it today, though it needs a bloody good service to bring it back up to snuff. Hardly a day goes by I don’t think about Yes......(and Genesis).
I still think Heaven and Earth is a very decent album.

Edited by Tom Ozric - August 07 2020 at 08:09
Muskrat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Muskrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 09:04
Chris will remain for a long time the best bassist to have existed. Yes's music owes everything to him. My favorite passage is without a doubt the solo from Gates Of Delirium.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 09:22
Chris Squire - Master Class

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 11:10
Originally posted by Muskrat Muskrat wrote:

<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="4"><span style=": rgb248, 249, 250; color: rgb34, 34, 34; white-space: pre-wrap;">Chris will remain for a long time the best bassist to have existed. Yes's music owes everything to him. My favorite passage is without a doubt the solo from Gates Of Delirium</span><span style=": rgb248, 249, 250; color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: inherit; font-size: 28px; white-space: pre-wrap;">.</span>
Chris was indeed one of the best bassists. However, the most revered and discussed Yes albums, and Chris' solo album, may not have been as successful without the input of Bill Bruford.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 11:58
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

It’s not remembering - it’s never forgetting !! Like many bassists, I was blown away by Chris the moment I heard South Side of the Sky. I saved up some dosh and bought myself a Rickenbacker 4001 back in ‘89, still play it today, though it needs a bloody good service to bring it back up to snuff. Hardly a day goes by I don’t think about Yes......(and Genesis).

And here it is: "South Side of the Sky" from the album "Fragile" (1971), performed Live at Montreux in 2003.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 12:03
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Chris Squire is the reason I picked up the bass guitar over a decade ago after playing guitar in bands for years.

He's my favorite prog musician. My fiance will tell you I legit cried, in front of her, the day he passed. I made the entire family postpone dinner because I was pissed my hero died. The funny part? They totally understood and didn't judge me at all for it.

Chris Squire IS (not "was") a legend; his energy and bass playing are here with us forever. His playing on Close to The Edge, Relayer, and Drama inspired me to build my skill and really understand not only the bass guitar, but music in general on a much deeper level than before.

At least I didn't make the mistake of saying Chris Squire "was" a legend in my intro. Wink Chris Squire Is, and always will be a legend, not only to us here on ProgArchives, but to new generations of Yes fans too. Heart

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 07 2020 at 12:04
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 15:12
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

At least I didn't make the mistake of saying Chris Squire "was" a legend in my intro. Wink Chris Squire Is, and always will be a legend, not only to us here on ProgArchives, but to new generations of Yes fans too. Heart

I wouldn't have harped on you, lol. Chris Squire's spirit lives on forever in his music and dynamic approach to bass guitar! Tempus Fugit indeed.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 15:28

Bought a Rick, inspired by Sir Chris Squire?  You and me, mate!  1973 Rick 4001, recently set up & made super-playable, best there is! 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 15:30
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I wish there was a new generation of Yes fans. Unfortunately, these days they seem to mostly be a band who are appreciated mainly by those who are already fans and who have been for some time. Who knows if they will even put out another album. We'll see.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 15:37
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by Muskrat Muskrat wrote:

<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="4"><span style=": rgb248, 249, 250; color: rgb34, 34, 34; white-space: pre-wrap;">Chris will remain for a long time the best bassist to have existed. Yes's music owes everything to him. My favorite passage is without a doubt the solo from Gates Of Delirium</span><span style=": rgb248, 249, 250; color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: inherit; font-size: 28px; white-space: pre-wrap;">.</span>
Chris was indeed one of the best bassists. However, the most revered and discussed Yes albums, and Chris' solo album, may not have been as successful without the input of Bill Bruford.

There's certainly an argument to be made for that considering that at least three full albums had the same lineup minus Bruford and none of those are as well known or as revered. However, they changed their direction when Bill left also so that probably had something to do with it. Plus the most successful Yes album of all, 90125, didn't have Bruford on it. 
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 17:05
^Didn't say successful. Said discussed. Most of the Yes discussions on PA are of the albums Bill was on. 90125 not discussed often on PA.

Let's return to the topic that Chris was awesome.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - August 07 2020 at 17:05
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 19:20
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Bought a Rick, inspired by Sir Chris Squire?  You and me, mate!  1973 Rick 4001, recently set up & made super-playable, best there is! 

Looks yummy !! Mine is Black with White trim, Silver scratchplate. I’m too hpoeless to load up pics (don’t know if you can do it on ipod ?? It’s a 1980 vintage. It’s in dire need of work but still plays fine. Sadly there are no quality Luthiers near where I live.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>