Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I want to like Hawkwind, but

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I want to like Hawkwind, but
    Posted: August 08 2020 at 06:15
I was listening to Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music album and there were two really standout instrumentals.

Hawkwind are a band I struggle with. The listener doesn't want for content, but so much of it is, tbf, pretty disposable. Levitation I really like, but it seems an outlier in terms of quality.

I would love to find more music like those two instrumentals: City of Lagoon, and, Chronoglide Skyway.

If Hawkwind can't cut it, who can?
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 06:40
I also would like to enjoy their music more. Levitation is the album I return to the most, it's more concise and well produced.
I returned to "In Search of Space" recently and I found the mixing terrible. I don't mind if they played stoned but they should have left that work for someone sober :P
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 06:51
Hi,

Almost all of the HAWKWIND instrumentals are excellent, and they are in a lot of albums.

I don't think there is a "band" that does stuff like that so well, however, it is very likely that a lot of it is a good listen to a lot of European bands that mixed things really well instrumentally ... I'm not sure if it fits, but the many keyboard related experiments by many artists all over Europe are probably what you look for, but to make a list is scary ...some of this stuff is way out there, expensive, and not likely to be found in the user bins of LP's ... 

Right off the bat ... and I'm not sure that this is what you look for or not ... 

Space Art
SFF
Hydravion 
Eberhard Schoenner (although some tracks are very different, but the early stuff without Sting is very good)

Phillipe Besombes (Hydravion), also matched up with another (Rizet) to do Pole ... but I think this was a bit more experimental.

I was thinking that what HAWKWIND did was more something out of Simon House's stuff than anything else, and I think that Dave was able to add to it ... in the earlier days, BEFORE Simon House, the band used raw electronics that were augmented by some vocal stuff either by Michael Moorcock or Nik Turner.

Not sure that I did a good job on this or not ... hopefully this helps some, but your request is very tough in general, without making generic suggestions that do not always come up to par with your request.

My take on these things, btw, is very different ... in the very early days, in between songs PF used sound effects and eventually created a story around those (The Wall) ... Hawkwind, did a bit more with the electronics in their early albums also with bits and pieces of words here and there, and then "graduated" to these instrumentals that you mention, and by the time you get to "ELECTRIC TEPEE", these are hard, and solid and very much close to what used to be stated as "psych rock" or "acid rock" ... but in the later days, I think the band lost the taste for these things ... and honestly, I miss them ... my thoughts tend to wonder if these were "songs" that never got words for them ... for whatever reason, but I really think they don't need words in them at all ... they are beautiful to listen to and that is one of my favorite albums, along with the opening (Side 1) of IN THE HALL OF THE MOUNTAIN GRILL which also has a very nice instrumental, and it is pretty much all Simon House.

Simon's solo albums are all instrumental, and sometimes they are hard to deal with as there are too many threads coming and going over other ... and while these are nice, I kinda think that if they were better defined and not have so many effects on them at the same time, they could have even sounded like Tangerine Dream ... which is probably what you want to look at from STRATOSFEAR on for the next 20 or so years.

Edited by moshkito - August 08 2020 at 06:52
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Ghost Whistler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 07:17
Thanks for the replies.

Hawkwind are an odd band. They aren't the strongest musicians, but they do write some good tunes. Levitation is a fantastic album, I like Chronicles, but there's so muchs tuff out there the signal to noise ratio is pretty high. Plus they are a bit reptetitive and simplistic (don't hate me!).

I do like Tangerine Dream, but really only their period with Johannes Schmoelling, criminalally underrated on here. Force Majeure is really good. Cyclone is ok, the vocals are annoying. Further back than that, and I can't get into it at all. 

I should also point out that I'm already a massive Ozrics fan :D

Edited by Ghost Whistler - August 08 2020 at 07:18
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2020 at 05:09
I love astounding sounds. I have the 1976-81 albums. Don’t really like the 70-75 stuff. Sounds amateur. I like when Calvert took over the vocals
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2020 at 05:52
I've heard a lot of filler with the Hawkwinds. But when their music hits, it's highly enjoyable, to say the least. And what a great history they have.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2020 at 06:26
This is my favourite Hawkwind song, featuring none other than Matthew Wright on vocals!

Matthew Wright looks like he's in Space Rock heaven in that video. Heart

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 16 2020 at 06:32
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2020 at 07:58
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

This is my favourite Hawkwind song, featuring none other than Matthew Wright on vocals!

I love that track too and the whole album is my favourite Hawkwind one - I prefer the Bob Calvert era. I do prefer the original version to Matthew Wright's. But imagine the buzz of singing with one of your favourite bands. Cool.

The album this version is from: 'Take me to Your Leader' also features Arthur Brown and Lena Lovitch. Not a bad album either.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2020 at 08:23
^ Matthew Wright also featured on the title track of the Blood of the Earth album in 2010, and he also co-wrote the song with Dave Brock too! Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2020 at 13:39
It may be unfair to say but if their stuff was cheaper I'd be tempted. Levitation, which I have on lp, is ridiculously and stubbornly expensive on Amazon. I would definitely like to own that and Black Sword (for sentimental reasons if nothing else, plus I like Elric). 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2020 at 16:52
Originally posted by Ghost Whistler Ghost Whistler wrote:

I do like Tangerine Dream, but really only their period with Johannes Schmoelling, criminalally underrated on here. Force Majeure is really good. Cyclone is ok, the vocals are annoying. Further back than that, and I can't get into it at all.

If you've not already heard it, the soundtrack Miracle Mile is a must. It sounds like a FFS/FFH hybrid.

Also, a Tangerine Dream album called Kyoto exists that features only Edgar and Johannes.

I also recommend Peter Baumann's first two solo records, Romance '76 and Transharmonic Nights, but I'm sure you have them...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2020 at 17:50
They have way cool album covers........
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2020 at 22:56
Originally posted by Ghost Whistler Ghost Whistler wrote:

Hawkwind are an odd band. They aren't the strongest musicians, but they do write some good tunes. Levitation is a fantastic album, I like Chronicles, but there's so much stuff out there the signal to noise ratio is pretty high. Plus they are a bit repetitive and simplistic (don't hate me!).

Hi,

I am not sure that they are not the strongest musicians ... in general ... you won't last this long without having some strength in what you do ... and do well.

Repetitive ... there was a bit with Jaki (CAN) that was talking to one of the professor/composer in the Berlin School ... and he was asking for more "repetition" ... and not to stop ... which in many ways CAN did anyway. HAWKWIND, did have the "repetition", but it was at a time when the sound effects were totally new, and the maintaining of the repetition, to allow for the complete turning of the sound effect on the music, makes for something rather nice to listen to ... unless one is counting beats and thinking that it is the only listening that you can do to music! The "change" on the effects, from beginning to end, and sometimes for more than several minutes, adds a lot to the music ... that is really easy to not understand, and then think that it is boring ... it isn't boring to me!  

This is, probably, something that is important for HAWKWIND to have done in those earlier days ... but I'm not sure that most fans, TODAY, are allowing for the experimentation that was being done at a time when so much of these electronics were NEW ... which today they aren't ... and sometimes, totally over used, which is what some folks will say about HAWKWIND, but that is a statement "out of time" ... and a slight lack of understanding of what the music equipment had to offer in those days, as opposed to today ... this is major and the reason why so many reviews done today, disrespect some of that older stuff by many bands, because it does not sound clear, or complete, or as I like to say ... cheesy and short ... so you get the feeling the musician knows what they are doing!

And this is a part of the "progressive music" history ... that we tend to ignore ... people really experimented with the equipment, as opposed to today, where you have a hard time finding folks that actually experiment with their music ... perfect example is easy ... always the same format! And none of the "effects" made any difference whatsoever!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2020 at 01:09
I love Hawkwind, and I don't think there are any other bands like them.

I'm sure there are a plethora of 'trippy' acts out there whose members were 'influenced' by them, but Hawkwind are pretty unique. They were the dark side of the acid trip; not the blue skies and pixies dancing among the flowers. They were the psychedelic warlords, harassed by the police in an inner city tower block. They were the urban guerrilla proto punks, being visited by the bomb squad, tearing up their floorboards looking for explosives. They were the buskers, the poets, the revolutionaries.

With a few notable exceptions who passed trough their ranks over the years, they weren't the best musicians. They weren't the most disciplined of acts when it came to producing consistent albums, and half of their albums probably didn't need to be released at all. As a teenager trying to collect their albums, in the absence of the internet, it was difficult to know where to start and where to finish, but this added to their mystery, and the pleasure of my own journey of discovery. When you bought a Genesis or Rush album, you knew that even if you preferred the songs on another album by them, it would at least be a professional effort. When it came to Hawkwind, you had no idea what to expect when you bought an album. How mashed were they when they recorded it? How competent was the producer? Who was fighting who in the band at the time? etc.

Fascinating band.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Kelder View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2020 at 03:59
If you want to like Hawkwind I would suggest to start with Space Ritual or Warrior On The Edge Of Time. Those are their best. If you want more: In Search Of Space, Doremi Fasol Latido, Hall Of The Mountain Grill. Those were the albums I started with and made me a Hawkfan.
The album you mentioned (Astounding Sounds) is more new wave than space rock. Hawkwind is a pretty eclectic band in a way that every album was different. The first being a blend of blues rock and psychedelic. During the beginning of the 70s they released some great space rock albums while the late 70s brought a more new wave / punk vide to the band. I myself care less about the 80s albums which features some more metallic sound. Nevertheless, the Chronicle of the Black Sword is a great return to space rock!

If you're looking for more great instrumental space rock next to Hawkwind, try Gong (Angels Egg and You), Can (Tago Mago), Steve Hillage (Green), Todd Rundgren (A Wizard A True Star / Initiation)
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2020 at 04:00
If you don't like something, it's fine. Don't feel guilty about it. :)
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2020 at 05:13

I love that he's a fan. He was interviewed in the BBC documentary. Very strange, although not as strange as Hawkwind's brief appearance on his show The Wright Stuff, which I think left his studio audience somewhat baffled..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2020 at 10:35
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

If you don't like something, it's fine. Don't feel guilty about it. :)
Of course. I just want something new to listen to. I've got hillage, gong, ozrics. Not a huge fan of Can/Krautrock though. Ozrics are my favourite but there isn't much else like them. Quantum fantay aren't bad.

All these bands are just iconic so finding stuff similar is tough plus I'm incredibly fussy :D
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2020 at 10:36
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I love that he's a fan. He was interviewed in the BBC documentary. Very strange, although not as strange as Hawkwind's brief appearance on his show The Wright Stuff, which I think left his studio audience somewhat baffled..
Given his audience, anything to the left of the Daily Express will be baffling
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2020 at 23:12
I tend to associate them with being in the sixth form at school. There was always a Hawkwind album on the turntable when I went into the common room. Nowadays I will still listen to Quark, Strangeness and Charm (possibly the best album of 1977) but most of the very early stuff is tedious to my ears. I saw them headline a festival about 3 years ago and frankly it was terribly underwhelming (boring and repetitive) although the laser show was quite nice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>