Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Comparing Apples and Oranges

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these songs is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.35%]
3 [13.04%]
2 [8.70%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.35%]
2 [8.70%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [13.04%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [17.39%]
7 [30.43%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Comparing Apples and Oranges
    Posted: August 08 2020 at 14:37
I have observed over the years that many of you like creating polls that compare apples with oranges.  So here you go!  The goal of this poll is to hopefully expose people to new bands and new songs.  Tell me what you think.  Talk about your favorites.  Mostly take a break from the bands that are talked about ad nauseum on this forum.  This is the fifth in my series of themed polls.  Happy listening!

If you enjoyed this poll and missed the first four theme polls and want to check them out, here are the links:

Edited by rushfan4 - May 15 2021 at 21:12
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 16:24
Very clever poll. Do you own all these albums? You must have thousands of albums. Entry #25 is funny, and someone already voted for it.

This will take some time but I am up for the challenge. Thanks.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 16:32
Don't know most of these, but I do love that Zappa track. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 16:47
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Very clever poll. Do you own all these albums? You must have thousands of albums. Entry #25 is funny, and someone already voted for it.

This will take some time but I am up for the challenge. Thanks.
I own many of them, but not all of them. 

I wasn't going to include the Pink Floyd song because I really am trying to avoid the best known bands, but it was too funny to pass up.  There are a few better known bands and artists included but they don't really get talked about all that much, accept for maybe Zappa and Steve Howe, but I figured they weren't one of their better known songs so what the heck let's include them.

Edited by rushfan4 - August 08 2020 at 16:48
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 23:43
Mr. Zawinul and crew on this one! 

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 00:13
Floyd. Donīt like most of the others here, only ones after Floyd I liked were the Nice, Howe, Soft Machine & Frankie.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 06:17
Here are some random thoughts...
Next to None - Nice to see youngsters. Don't like growls and the quick double bass fills are too much for me. 
Mute Albino - reminds me of something else. Good groove and the guitar layering is tasteful.
DiMeola - He's more reserved on this song. Reminds me of Metheny.
Regal Worm - Wins for the most mushrooms in a video. Like the sax and the arrangement of the song.
Johannes Luley - A fast paced fusion monster.
Steve Howe - Never heard him play banjo. Very cool song. Sounds like it belongs in a movie.
Slim Charles - Infectious melody. Nice guitar work.
Pink Floyd - Ugh. I like Syd but this is not his finest.

For me, it's between Slim Charles and Mute Albino. If I can't vote for both... I'll choose Mute Albino.

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 07:01
I voted for Al Di Meola.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 07:55
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Here are some random thoughts...
Next to None - Nice to see youngsters. Don't like growls and the quick double bass fills are too much for me. 
Mute Albino - reminds me of something else. Good groove and the guitar layering is tasteful.
DiMeola - He's more reserved on this song. Reminds me of Metheny.
Regal Worm - Wins for the most mushrooms in a video. Like the sax and the arrangement of the song.
Johannes Luley - A fast paced fusion monster.
Steve Howe - Never heard him play banjo. Very cool song. Sounds like it belongs in a movie.
Slim Charles - Infectious melody. Nice guitar work.
Pink Floyd - Ugh. I like Syd but this is not his finest.

For me, it's between Slim Charles and Mute Albino. If I can't vote for both... I'll choose Mute Albino.

The Slim Charles' album was a new one to me.  I quite liked it enough to make me listen to the entire album on their Bandcamp page.  It was a nice find for me. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 17:23
The sad thing is that Pink Floyd song may truly be the worst song on this list and yet it has the most votes so far. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 17:58
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

The sad thing is that Pink Floyd song may truly be the worst song on this list and yet it has the most votes so far. 

It's the not the worst for me, that would likely be Next to None - The Apple I think, but of course to each his or her own and I'm not a metal fan.

There are few I like very much on this list, and some I don't. My favourites are: Birdsongs of the Mesozoic - Orange Ocean, Weather Report - Orange Lady, The Soft Machine - Orange Skin Food, Deerhoof - Apple Bomb, and Frank Zappa - The Orange County Lumber Truck (I missed one other that I liked). I'm giving my vote to Zappa.

For another orange in my collection, "L'Admirable Amas Cellulaire Orange" by Cos.

It works better as part of the whole album.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 18:22
Probably Krakatoa since that is the other Avant song on the list.

I've not actually heard that Cos album.  I have Babel from them, but I know that the Train Robbery album is their better known album.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 18:43
Seems I missed a few. There were quite a few I really liked (most I liked), yeah Krakatoa's was one of them certainly. I had listened to all of them earlier in the day. Regal Worm's Apple Witch and Mute Albino's Flies on Oranges were two of my other favourites. I think I'm going to look to purchase that Regal Worm album, I like that an awful lot.

While I like plenty of 70s heavy metal, hard rock, more modern metal that I like becomes rarer (there'a fair amount of "post metal" that I like, and some stoner metal).

Babel is not the most highly regarded Cos album, that is probably Viva Boma around here with //Train Robbery very close on those heels, but Babel is the one that I return to the most. It's an album that remains fresh to my ears.   
Just a fanboy passin' through.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 19:57
Now that I have learned how to do this, here is a link for a YouTube playlist with the 23 songs that had YouTube "videos".  A month has passed since the last post so I suspect that it might have gotten all of the interest it is going to get, but then again maybe some people might enjoy the playlist.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2022 at 07:50
Floyd
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2022 at 08:58
Regal Worm> The Nice> Pink Floyd>The Soft Machine
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2022 at 09:05
The Nice -Diamond Hard Blue Apples Of The Moon. Refugee also did a live version in 1974 which is even better.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2023 at 01:12
Al Di Meola - Orange and Blue 
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2023 at 03:09
I voted for Pink Floyd. Smile
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2023 at 03:17
I only know a handful of these, but still allowed myself to vote for the stunning Orange Lady
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>