Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for similar to Voivod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for similar to Voivod
    Posted: August 09 2020 at 05:24
i enjoy a bit of prog metal. Voivod are like a x between Motorhead, King Crimson, Hawkwind, and Floyd YMMV. Within that they have a very unique sci fi storytelling vibe that is utterly unique. 

Which makes asking for similar a bit tricky.

But I'd love to hear more bands like this. HOWEVER!

1. I cannot abide screaming/vomit vocals (like Between the Buried and Me; musically interesting ruined by the vox) 
2. Growling is likewise.
3. I don't want bands that just sing about satan and death. Been there done that (not literally of course). Voivod's songs are fresh and highly individual and authentic. Plus who doens't love hearing about robots aboard spaceships accompanied with samples from the fifties War of the Worlds movie and its sfx. Brilliant.

Good luck! :D
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 07:19
This is more punk than Voivod, but as you I will give them a change:
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 07:31
Vektor is usually mentioned as Voivod influenced thrash. I don't like the vocals, but they are competent musicians. 
Ghost Whistler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 07:46
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Vektor is usually mentioned as Voivod influenced thrash. I don't like the vocals, but they are competent musicians. 

Quite so. But the vocals are absolutely dreadful. I can't bear to listen to that kind of stuff. A shame because everything else is spot on
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 07:52
I can reccomend Skin Yard from Seattle, very wierd yet heavy and more excentric in a Voivpod way., more heavy rock but are publickly known to be the most prog ifluenced of the seattle mid 80s to early 90s bands. Debute and couple of albums up, they tend to be more heavy on the seccond album, publickly known as fan of King Crimson and Zappa and it shows im the song compositions.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 08:58
There is really no other band that sounds like Voivod but there are many bands that are in the ballpark.

Some include Vektor, Coroner, Watchtower, Anacrusis, Mekong Delta, Obliveon, Droid, Carnivore, Virus, Holocaust.

If you like that dissonant guitar chord jangly stuff then some of the prog black metal like Deathspell Omega and tech death like Gorguts are also related but once again, NOBODY is like Voivod!

Due to your restrictions on vocals and subject matter though i'd say you're SOL.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 09:26
porbably true, I'm afraid I just don't get on with those styles, which is a shame for me as there are many otherwise interesting bands. They all choose that style and...oof
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 09:28
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

There is really no other band that sounds like Voivod but there are many bands that are in the ballpark.

Some include Vektor, Coroner, Watchtower, Anacrusis, Mekong Delta, Obliveon, Droid, Carnivore, Virus, Holocaust.

If you like that dissonant guitar chord jangly stuff then some of the prog black metal like Deathspell Omega and tech death like Gorguts are also related but once again, NOBODY is like Voivod!

Due to your restrictions on vocals and subject matter though i'd say you're SOL.

it's possible Holocaust's debut album from 1981 was an influence on Voivod. LOL Confused
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 13:56
Maybe Marching Mind. There are some similarities: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=6226
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 16:23
 Atheist Perhaps ?  

They're a little harder but they kind of remind me of Voivod.  You may not like the vocals--I wouldn't characterize them as "growling" or "screaming", but often harsh/gravelly.  Probably just have to listen for yerself to see if you'd like them.
Z
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 14:09
Cynic is another mindboggeling heavy and calculated madness and complex band with vocoder vocals instead of growls.

Edited by Icarium - August 10 2020 at 14:10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 15:28
Cynic are on my watch list, but I haven't quite fallen for them. Not sure about their vocals. Some of their songs had that growling style and that's a red line fo rme I'm afraid
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 00:49
Your vocal qualifiers disqualify all of my recommendations lol.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 01:53
So I think the answer to your question is Technical Thrash Metal. I used to listen to it 24/7 for a year or something!

Most recommended:
Coroner - No More Color is a must have, but all their 1988-91 releases are 5/5 affairs, my no. 1 in the genre
Artillery - By Inheritance might be the best tech thrash ever written, imho it stomps all over Voivod, fantastic vocals
Toxik - less progressive but definitely more acrobatic than Voivod, fantastic listen in times of pandemia
Heathen - Victims of Deception is very Metallica-esque for sound, but definitely more advanced and interesting than AJFA
Deathrow - Deception Ignored is a wonderful, dry riff salad from 80s, very underrated album I think
Aspid - Russian band, its only release is usually translated as Extravasation, definitely worth checking out if you don't mind thin production
Megadeth - Rust in Peace and Peace Sells are more mainstream than tech, but the musicianship is flawless
Vektor - all albums are great, definitely worth your time; the newest offering on the list (but they disbanded 2 years ago, sadly!)

Also recommended if you crave more intense stuff:
Realm - two very technical albums
Obliveon - maybe the most Voivod stuff you'll find here, cosmic, futuristic, a bit weird
Watchtower - maybe the best known around here, the sophomore album is worth checking out
Forbidden - Bay Area sound, but quite tech-y at times
Despair - quite heavy
Hellwitch - almost death metal territory
Mekong Delta - Dances of Death might be their best, but I listened to Music of Erich Zann the most!
Invocator - Excursion Demise is savage AF
Dark Angel - I love all 3 albums but would actually recommend starting out with Leave Scars
Sadus - again, heavy, fantastic basswork of Mr Di Giorgio
Morbid Saint - hellish vocals, intense stuff
Destruction - Release from Agony should fit the bill for Voivod enthusiasts
Immaculate - started in 2010s I think, very crispy guns blazing riffs
Target - awful production but riffs are yummy

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 05:33
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Sorry, it's a dealbreaker. I just cannot abide this style of singing. I feel it spoils the music and that's a shame
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 07:14
Maybe Thought Industry "Songs for Insects".

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 08:33
You might check out Spiral Architect's album A Sceptic's Universe. They don't sound like Voivod in any direct sense but there is an analogy in that they are both technical (in the case of Spiral Architect almost absurdly so), futuristic and very 'out there'. And no black / death metal screaming or growling, the singer may not be to your liking but he actually sings.

Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 15:14
Maybe Blotted Science ? They’re instrumental, and feature the amazing bass talents of Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse)..
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 01:05
Originally posted by Ghost Whistler Ghost Whistler wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Sorry, it's a dealbreaker. I just cannot abide this style of singing. I feel it spoils the music and that's a shame

Which I completely understand, most people can't stand it. Tragic because some of the best musicianship on the planet is hiding behind that wall of noise, as you said.

Another person below recommended Spastic Ink/Blotted Science; that might be right up your alley, no vocals, super heavy and tech!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 02:44
To be honest, I’m not too keen on growled vocals either, but I hear it as ‘the vocal instrument’ coz the music really blows me away. It’s kind of Progressive in its own way.
Sometimes I feel like listening to Le Orme, or Magenta, sometimes Suffocation or Atheist......

Edited by Tom Ozric - August 12 2020 at 02:47
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>