Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for similar to Voivod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 02:46
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

To be honest, I’m not too keen on gruwled vocals either, but I hear it as ‘the vocal instrument’ coz the music really blows me away. It’s kind of Progressive in its own way.

It's funny how metal can never win, either; it's either the vocals are too high and falsetto "and gay", lol, or they are too heavy and take away from the music. We can't win! LOL

"The music is insane...but the vocals ruin it" - average listener regarding both Symphony X and Gorguts, respectively.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 02:56
^ I can’t stand high falsetto shrill singing. Give me cookie monster any day.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 17:07
never liked this type of stuff, but try these guys, they're INSANE:

Also it's just WRONG they're not in PA's database

Edited by Prog-jester - August 12 2020 at 17:09
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 21:48
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

To be honest, I’m not too keen on gruwled vocals either, but I hear it as ‘the vocal instrument’ coz the music really blows me away. It’s kind of Progressive in its own way.

It's funny how metal can never win, either; it's either the vocals are too high and falsetto "and gay", lol, or they are too heavy and take away from the music. We can't win! LOL

"The music is insane...but the vocals ruin it" - average listener regarding both Symphony X and Gorguts, respectively.
To me vocals are very important in all genres. If I can´t stand singer, I just can´t listen that band/artist. Both falsetto and growl vocals are just very boring and ruin the music. But really little heard interesting heavy metal that has falsetto vocals, I mean also music in it. The picture I got that style it´s always that "hero metal" with riding tempos.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 00:26

I love it all. Thus, I have friends in every metal camp lol. I'm a tech/extreme prog nerd myself! Death, Gorguts, Cynic, Pestilence, Atheist, etc. - early 90's Florida scene is my jam! Cool

Symphony X is my favorite progressive metal band in regards to clean vocals.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 02:40
Prog has its share of virtuosic musicians, but Tech / Extreme is at a whole different level. And it is highly addictive
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 03:24
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I love it all. Thus, I have friends in every metal camp lol. I'm a tech/extreme prog nerd myself! Death, Gorguts, Cynic, Pestilence, Atheist, etc. - early 90's Florida scene is my jam! Cool

Symphony X is my favorite progressive metal band in regards to clean vocals.

All loved and revered (maybe Gorguts less so), but I wanted to give a shout out to PESTILENCE. I mean, Death-Atheist-Cynic are great - my Death phase resulted in acquiring Marshall Valvestate 8100 for myself...

...but PESTILENCE had fantastic batch of albums in late 80s/early 90s, especially Mallevs Maleficarvm and Consvming Impvlse, I think they tend to be overlooked today in some circles (not hardcore OSDM fans tho!)

Edited by thief - August 13 2020 at 03:25
Ghost Whistler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 04:53
I don't consider Voivod tech/extreme metal. Prog metal, just  Red not in the traditional sense: ie prog metal seems to be more about bands that include a classical influence or are Yes + heavy riffs :D

Voivod ar emore like Red/Larks Tongues with heavy riffs, psychdelia and cyberpunk

That's the sh*t!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 05:08
^ And they are unique !! Nothingface FOR EVER !!
GolfBoi View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GolfBoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 09:59
Originally posted by Ghost Whistler Ghost Whistler wrote:

I don't consider Voivod tech/extreme metal. Prog metal, just  Red not in the traditional sense: ie prog metal seems to be more about bands that include a classical influence or are Yes + heavy riffs :D

Voivod ar emore like Red/Larks Tongues with heavy riffs, psychdelia and cyberpunk

That's the sh*t!

What metal bands are most Yes-influenced, you would say? Would like to check them out. 
Ghost Whistler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 11:20
Originally posted by GolfBoi GolfBoi wrote:

That's the sh*t!

What metal bands are most Yes-influenced, you would say? Would like to check them out. 
In an interview in guitar world years ago, which I now consider to be a bit apocryphal, it was claimed that Piggy used to play along to Relayer spun backwards.

GolfBoi View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GolfBoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 13:05
Would you say the guitar playing in this song is Yes-inspired?

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 15:51
Blacky loves Van der Graaf Generator. Or was it Away ? In an interview those guys said they have a lot of Prog LP’s in their collection.
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 03:17

That's the sh*t!

That's helluva of a praise for Voivod... I'm usually annoyed by their music, although Killing Technology is exception; a dope album (with meh vocals)
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 03:53

Originally posted by GolfBoi GolfBoi wrote:

That's the sh*t!

In an interview in guitar world years ago, which I now consider to be a bit apocryphal, it was claimed that Piggy used to play along to Relayer spun backwards.

Hmmm, this is an interesting bit of information - that if true - I never knew!

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 06:24
Thrash was the stepping-stone from Metal to Extreme Metal.
Voivod may not be Extreme, but they are technical. Same thing with Mastodon.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 17:10
I consider Voivod an unique band with a very distinctive sound.

Check Paralysis from Netherlands and Aspid from Russia.
Silvaticus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silvaticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2020 at 11:55
I joined the forum just for this post. I found the thread/forum by accident and I think I have two interesting suggestion to contribute.
Voivod is one my favorite bands since 1990 and I always searched for bands that sound similar. Most of them are mentioned in this thread.
One of the closest with a voice like Snake`s :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQLL2H7c08g&ab_channel=DieKreuzen-Topic

And a band they clearly had a huge influnce on and I really like (vocals clearly not for OP):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVtDgZlIN9A&ab_channel=IronBoneHeadProductions
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 12:43
Virus from Norway has gone way over into the more avant-garde spectrum with their last several albums. But their debut, "Carheart", has a huge Voivod hue to it.

Second album has far more gothic overtones. Still highly recommended.

Edited by Tapfret - December 28 2020 at 12:44
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 07:32
Here is a slam dunk for you that is new to me. Just found them by pure chance. Doom from Japan. They need to be suggested to the progmetal team here. Albums of most interest, Complicated Mind, Incompetent..., and Illegal Soul (I won't post full albums and this one has some of the best examples. The song "Deliver Me From Reasons Why" is amazing).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12